Karl`s PC Help Forums

What to do about my old dial-up service and e-mail provider?
scholar - 14-1-2016 at 01:19

Years ago, I signed up for dial-up internet service and e-mail account for a low monthly rate. The service took the fee--it was less than $10--as a debit from my checking account. This cheap service also had adverts on their site when I logged on. You can imagine how pleased I was when they stopped the billing notices and the debits, but continued the service. I figured they had gone to advert-revenue support entirely, with dial-up mostly dying out.

Today, I got a billing notice telling me that I owed $54.75 which they had been unable to collect from the debit card they had on file (a card I had years ago, which would have expired by now, if I still had it). They asked me to pay quickly so my service would not be interrupted.

I have not used dial-up since Ruby persuaded me to get DSL, but I have continued to use the e-mail address and account I got through them. They could block my access to thousands of e-mails over several years, including attachments of some importance to me. I think they have offered free e-mail to anyone who cares to sign up for free, but I think a larger size of e-mail storage was part of the paid-for service when I signed up for it.

If anyone cares to look, the provider is http://www.juno.com .

According to the letter of the terms of use on their web site, it sounds as if they could back-bill me for the years when they failed to send me notice of any bills and failed to make their monthly collections.

I think the bill I just got is for six months at $7.95 per month.

What would you do in my situation?

If it makes any difference--they have my former address and phone number on file, from another town. I don't think it would be fair for them to charge me for services I haven't been using, and I would certainly have dumped them if I had been paying attention and thought I would be owing them for something when they had listed me as owing nothing for so many years. I'm sure they won't go after me, themselves. But, they might sell my bill to a debt collections agency. And, I would really hate to lose years of e-mails. Also, those who only know that e-mail address would not be able to reach me.

What do you recommend?

scholar - 14-1-2016 at 01:29

I just looked at my own online billing information for Juno, and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. It says that my account was at 0.00 previous to this bill, and they are asking for 5 months for Juno Platinum. It looks like they are asking for payment for the next 5 months of service--so, they are not listing it as if I owe them for 5 months previous.

Now, I'm thinking perhaps they are cleaning up their lists, and checking to see if their subscribers are still around and willing to pay. Perhaps they have changed ownership, or have new management.

But, I still need to decide what to do.

I think, at the least, I need to start making copies of my most valued e-mail materials.

And, I'd better delete materials to get the e-mails down under what they allow to their free e-mail subscribers.

LSemmens - 14-1-2016 at 03:59

Should be a no-brainer, Scholar. I always keep any mail that is critical on my own machine and in various backups. That way I maintain the ability to change supplier at my discretion.

Quaver - 14-1-2016 at 08:27

Maybe you can download all your emails onto an email client like Windows Live Mail?

Some settings here:http://help.juno.com/support/email/wlm.html

Katzy - 14-1-2016 at 10:32

At worst, could you not forward them to another address?

John Barnes - 14-1-2016 at 14:58

Caveat Emptor

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 00:24

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Should be a no-brainer, Scholar. I always keep any mail that is critical on my own machine and in various backups. That way I maintain the ability to change supplier at my discretion.

Since I have used older computers with hard drives that are small (by this year's standards), I have saved space by keeping the files and attachments on the e-mail server. And, unfortunately, I haven't been diligent in deleting those which were not of use to me. (I'm kind of like the fellow who opens the snail mail he finds of highest interest, and throws the rest in a drawer.)

I have years of e-mails to go through.

I'm wondering if I can forward them (say, to g-mail) on a large-scale basis. If I have to do clicks or keystrokes for them, one at a time, it will be quite time-consuming.

Redwolf5150 - 16-1-2016 at 04:11

Why I have gmail and yahoo accounts. I have NOTHING tied to any service provider.

marymary100 - 16-1-2016 at 08:53

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

I'm wondering if I can forward them (say, to g-mail) on a large-scale basis. If I have to do clicks or keystrokes for them, one at a time, it will be quite time-consuming.

Far easier to get on with it than to post on here about it I would think. :comp2)

John_Little - 16-1-2016 at 10:20

I still use my old "lineone" email address. I got myself a hotmail address when my laptop got burgled with all my stuff on it. But the lineone email still works even though its been through Tiscali and Talk Talk since.

Quaver - 16-1-2016 at 11:13

Download an email client (like Windows Live Mail) set up pop and you can download the whole thing to your PC (if you have space).

John_Little - 16-1-2016 at 12:48

I did that recently but it wouldn't download sub-folders, only the main inbox.

Quaver - 16-1-2016 at 14:43

I see.

I wonder if he could downgrade his email to a free one?
I know his mailbox is probably too large for the free version.

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 18:43

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Quote:

Far easier to get on with it than to post on here about it I would think. :comp2)

I have spent some time on it, and gotten it down from a listing of 34 pages to 22 pages.

I am going to look at what has been posted here, for suggestions as to where to forward them.

Do any of the free e-mail providers allow a person to group e-mails in folders of their own choosing (for me, the folders might be theology, bills and business, information, entertainment, friends)? Or, do they all have just a few standard files for everyone (e.g. inbox, sent, junk or spam, deleted)?

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 18:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Maybe you can download all your emails onto an email client like Windows Live Mail?

Some settings here:http://help.juno.com/support/email/wlm.html

This looks to be exactly the kind of help I was hoping to get here.
thankingyou

Let me check if I have good communication, here. Do I install a Windows Live Mail program, then follow these instructions, and Windows Live Mail will copy the e-mails that Juno is presently holding for me onto a WLM server, that I will still be able to access if Juno terminates me?

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 19:03

Quote:
I see.

I wonder if he could downgrade his email to a free one?
I know his mailbox is probably too large for the free version.

I don't know how much data storage my present mass of e-mails is using. I'm sure that the ones with attachments--pictures, church bulletins, a songbook with guitar chords--must each take up a hundred times as much storage as the ones with simple text messages like, "Greek study group is meeting Tuesday." If I could save the hogs to my hard drive, perhaps the rest would fit in the free e-mail.

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 19:05

Total Commander tells me I have 1 Gigabyte of free space left on my desktop machine. That should be plenty, shouldn't it?

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 19:17

On Wiki, I just learned that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported for Vista. Windows 7 or later is required. Since I have Win XP on the desktop, where I do my serious work (it is connected to my printer). I am on the desktop XP machine now.

If I get to Sunday evening and have not solved this, I could use Ruby's Win10 laptop to use Windows Live Mail to get a copy of everything, to guard against Juno shutting me down on Monday. (I am thinking they won't take action over the weekend, but I don't know how much time I'll have after that.)

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 19:27

I have just read on a Juno support information page that Juno free e-mail has a limit of 1 Gb, and Juno Platinum (the level of service for which I signed up years ago and used to pay for) has a limit of 2 Gb.)

I have 2164 e-mails still on my list. I don't see anything on my Juno e-mail page that tells me how much storage they are taking.

marymary100 - 16-1-2016 at 19:35

Advice from Shia

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 20:41

angrymad2
I just tried to log on to my gmail account, which I have not used for more than a year. I don't remember my password, or even my log-in name.

The desktop XP machine I am using is Ruby's, which she hardly ever uses (she never learned typing/keyboards). When I looked for gmail information on this machine, it has a few references to her gmail log-in and password.

I think I had info (e.g., my log-in would appear as a suggestion when I went to the gmail page) on the computer I used before moving to the city. It didn't work, the first time I tried to run it after moving, and I thought something in it had shaken loose. When I opened it up to look more closely, two of the three internal memory boards were missing.

So, unless I replace those boards, I don't expect to get it running again.:( It was an older machine--Mr. Barnes used to make fun of it.

I wonder if establishing another gmail account will be a problem?

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 20:56

Hmmmm. The Juno information page says that a person should download e-mails to make more room, if they can't get more e-mails because of the storage limit.

But, there is no information of any kind about how to do it.

That seems to leave forwarding the e-mails to another account--if I can access my old gmail account, or establish a new account somewhere with some free e-mail provider.

scholar - 16-1-2016 at 21:18

I have found a personalized page on my own Juno e-mail that does tell the storage used in each folder. Everything I might want to save, inbox and sent box included, total less than 250 Mb, which is only 1/4 of what is allowed in the free Juno e-mail service. (This leads me to think that I was probably well below the limit before I started trashing things to slim it down.)

So, I will see if I can simply downgrade to the free e-mail service. One key point, however, will be--will they let me keep what I already have? I don't want to find I mistakenly authorized them to wipe out what is presently stored as a Platinum account. And, of course, I don't want my e-mail address changed (or I would have to change it at Paypal, Ebay, and for every website one which I have registered myself for such things as password resets, as well as every friend who sends me e-mails).

Quaver - 17-1-2016 at 06:03

Quote:
On Wiki, I just learned that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported for Vista. Windows 7 or later is required. Since I have Win XP on the desktop, where I do my serious work (it is connected to my printer). I am on the desktop XP machine now.

Do you have Outlook Express?
There's others like Thunderbird.

scholar - 17-1-2016 at 21:32

Quote:
Download an email client (like Windows Live Mail) set up pop and you can download the whole thing to your PC (if you have space).

I am now on Ruby's laptop, Windows10. When I press the Windows button on the keyboard, part of what appears is an area with a caption above it, "life at a glance". A rectangle in the upper right corner says "Get all your mail in one place " The words are replaced by "We speak" followed by "Gmail" then "Yahoo Mail" . When I click on it, I get a blue box that says, ACCOUNTS first things first, let's add your accounts, and then it has a blank text box for "Add account" The next box lists Outlook, Exchange, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, iCloud, and other. When I choose "other" I get blank text boxes for the e-mail address and the password When I put in my Juno e-mail address and Juno password Then I get a message saying "We couldn't find info for that account. Make sure the e-mail address is correct and try again." I've tried several times, and looped back each time.

Is this the Windows Live Mail program of which you spoke?

How do I get it to have the info needed to access the Juno e-mail?

I am trying to download the Juno e-mails, in case Juno does something that delete my e-mails, or if Juno holds them hostage when I ask to go to Juno's free e-mail service.

LSemmens - 18-1-2016 at 00:41

Don't worry about windoze 10 accounts, you could end up giving Ruby headache by reporting everything to M$.

Go back to your XP machine. Create a new gmail account and send everything to that.

Quaver - 18-1-2016 at 01:14

Quote:
Go back to your XP machine. Create a new gmail account and send everything to that.

Good ideakewl_glasses

Quote:

Settings for Outlook Express:http://help.juno.com/support/email/email-setup-msoex6.html

scholar - 20-1-2016 at 00:58

On the laptop, I tried to download Outlook Express 6, but I don't know if it downloaded. And, I encountered a warning that it is not designed to work past WinXP .

A site with the Outlook Express 6 download listed on it suggested Mozilla Thunderbird instead, and I clicked to download it. But, again--I don't know what happened. I don't see a progress bar, such as one used to see in Win98.

Oh! I just heard a chime! perhaps that signals a completed download!?

scholar - 20-1-2016 at 01:21

I found the downloads folder, with set-up programs for both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. I' about to try Thunderbird, but I have to write down the Juno settings first, since Thunderbird set-up says to close all other programs.

scholar - 20-1-2016 at 02:00

Quote:
Quote:

Good ideakewl_glasses

Quote:

Settings for Outlook Express:http://help.juno.com/support/email/email-setup-msoex6.html

I have installed Thunderbird. The settings it seems to have gotten from Juno, speaking program-to-their-server, seem different than the ones that a Juno tech support reply gave me, but they seem to be working.

Thunderbird appears to be adding each Juno e-mail to thunderbird's inbox list. Does this mean that they are going into files on my hard drive? I recall, from when I had dial-up e-mail on Win98 and could look at my last check of e-mails off-line, the e-mails were compressed into one large file that the Juno e-mail program from those days would expand so that the individual origin e-mails could be plucked out for view.

scholar - 20-1-2016 at 02:04

I now have 111 of 2092 messages in the inbox. This is going to take quite some time.

scholar - 20-1-2016 at 02:11

236 now. They appear to be downloading from oldest to newest. Right now, they are in 2009 origins.

The first few e-mails had picture attachments, making them much larger than those which only have texts. So, it is going faster. If they will finish in an hour, that will be good.

But, it appears Thunderbird has an inbox and an outbox, no folder for "sent" e-mails. . .

unless, the outbox might keep a copy of everything put into it, unless undeleted? I'll have to explore it.l

But, it's time for bed, and I have a few hymn numbers to send.

LSemmens - 20-1-2016 at 02:55

Thunderbird is a good alternative. You can probably find the "sent items" folder has just been hidden. Have a look at the settings.

scholar - 17-2-2016 at 02:10

I had asked about moving my account to the free e-mail version that they provide, since I do not use their dial-up service anymore.

About an hour ago, I logged on to my e-mail, and thousands of e-mails, dating back several years, have vanished. Fortunately, I had gotten the texts of those e-mails onto this desk-top computer by using Thunderbird.

But, as far as I have found so far, Thunderbird does not seem to have grabbed and downloaded the e-mail attachments. (Or, am I missing something in the program?). So, I have lost some material that had been of some value to me.

All of the missing e-mails and attachments, together, did not exceed the storage limit of the free e-mail service. So, it appears I just lost it from Juno storage, (starting over) as a result of the switch in the type of account.