Karl`s PC Help Forums

NFC (Near Field Communication) Technology
JackInCT - 24-4-2015 at 15:33

NFC (Near Field Communication) technology, and their really cheap NFC tags:

Has anyone in the wide, wide world of Karls Forums gotten to the point where they have actually found something useful, as in practical (and REALLY worth the effort of doing [as opposed to continuing to do same task as they always have]) in using NFC tags?

Yes, I asking all of you to post re what you think is actually worthwhile about this technology (OR perhaps, much ado about nothing based on your experiences).

While its use to pay for items purchased at the check out counter (via your smartphone) seems to be the dominant (and well established) use, it does seem to me rather pointless if that's all that's worthwhile (not to mention all the retailers at your local mall just drooling over ads/coupons/etc. that they want to send your way).

And for you Apple smartphone owners, I would think your iBeacon gear (bluetooth tech) would also have feedback that's grist for the mill.

LSemmens - 25-4-2015 at 04:25

Not my idea of a useful tool, I'm not too keen on my smart phone telling anything about itself to any nearby object unless I give it express permission.

Quaver - 25-4-2015 at 12:11

Mine has NFC, but I've only used it once, on a tag printed on a train.
It took me to a site with lots of discounts. Not bad, but a website address would have been equally useful.

I'd be more interested if NFC can be used instead of the Oyster card (train ticket) and/or credit card.
(I have a contactless debit card which I sometimes use).

JackInCT - 25-4-2015 at 13:51

I never new NFC existed until a few days ago when I accidentally stumbled across a website selling NFC tags.

A routine Google type search, as well as YouTube, re NFC uses/applications will produced an overwhelming number of hits--far too many to even begin to sift through more than a handful.

YouTube videos in particular, and which is likely a part of many YouTube uploaders 'culture', is that NFC is thee next best thing to sliced bread. But these videos are a potential source of inspiration for home end users applications (and maybe small business owners).

The following URL is for a website blogger (dated July, 2014) that I think describes fairly (without much hype, but with decided enthusiam for the tech) & takes a reader in hand and explains the tech, as well as possible, real-world applications; this blogger has a 10 part (YES TEN) separate webpages devoted to various aspects.

http://receivetipstricks.hubpages.com/hub/NFC-For-Beginners-Part-1-What-is-Near-Field-Communication

I did find out that many phones/tablets do NOT have NFC capability (and Apple gear has none; Apple (iOS 7 or greater, uses iBeacon which also has a 'tag' type aspect--but iBeacon may not be a 1-1 comparable 'service'). I have attempted to find out if their are adapters/dongles for non-NFC devices, and interestingly there may NOT be (at least available in the USA). I have a couple of emails out looking for makers.

Quaver - 27-4-2015 at 08:48

I've heard about printers with NFC.
Easier to print out photos from smartphoneskewl_glasses
Pity my printer doesn't have one.
I think it'll be great for someone who uses multiple printers. No need to install different drivers etc.