Karl`s PC Help Forums

picture-to-cellphone frustration
scholar - 13-11-2009 at 04:12

My cell phone (mobile, to some) does not receive pictures.

I received a text message telling me someone had sent me a picture, and that I could see it on the internet at a certain site.

At the site, I was told I had to sign in or register. Since I had never been to the site, I entered my cell number as my ID and stried to register. The site told me that an account already existed for that number. I clicked "forgot password," and was sent a new temporary password to my cell phone as a text message.

But, when I went back to the first screen and entered my cell number and the temporary password, it did not allow me to see the picture. Instead, it took me to a screen asking for my cell number, the temporary number, and my choice for a new password, with a type again box to confirm the new password. I did all that.

That took me to the login screen again. I typed in my cell number and the new password.

It took me to what appears to be the same screen, asking me to change the password. It is an endless loop--log in screen, change password screen, log in screen, change password screen. Nothing ever takes me to the picture.

What to do?

Would one of you know what to do if I give more information?

This would be my first picture ever. I don't know if it will be a friendly picture, a rude picture, or a spam picture.

If someone trustworthy would care to tackle it, and would need private information, u2u is possible. But if you get to the picture, I don't know what it will be.

The cell picture site is http://www.vzwpix.com.

Is this is a scam?confused2 I don't see how anyone would profit from it.

marymary100 - 13-11-2009 at 07:11

So, to sum up, you don't want to do it but want someone else to do it for you?

Daz - 13-11-2009 at 10:26

PM'd

giron - 13-11-2009 at 11:42

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

What to do?

Simply contact your network provider and they will give you the required assistance to resolve this matter.

Have you considered upgrading you phone to something more suitable?

Here in the UK most people own phones that are capable to receiving picture messages.

scholar - 13-11-2009 at 14:01

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
So, to sum up, you don't want to do it but want someone else to do it for you?
To sum up, I want to do it and in fact attempted to do it several times, but have not succeeded and do not know where the problem is.

I know the frustration of trying to talk someone past an error, when you cannot watch them to catch the mistake they are making. (I used to drive to the home of a friend who lived 50 miles away to help with his computer problems, because he would introduce errors and not realize it. For example, I remember when he could not log on to his internet account. He was typing his password slightly differently, and it was not until I typed it for him, trying minor differences [cap or no cap, stuff like that] that I got him logged on.)

So, I wanted to include in my post that I am open to someone else trying for me, if they are willing; I am also open to suggestions I could try myself. I have tried to follow the site instructions several times, as I understand them. I am humble enough to consider that I could be making an error of which I am unaware.

scholar - 13-11-2009 at 14:06

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
Have you considered upgrading you phone to something more suitable?
My present phone allows me to pay for basic mobile phone service, plus text messaging, for $15 per month. Not only do picture phones cost more for the phone, the monthly cost for picture phone service is much higher.

If my income allowed me a monthly luxury, I would probably choose high-speed internet for my desktop computer instead of a picture phone.:D Cable TV would be nice, too--but if I had high-speed internet, I could access many programs on streaming video.

giron - 13-11-2009 at 14:28

Quote:
Not only do picture phones cost more for the phone, the monthly cost for picture phone service is much higher.

That demonstrates the difference between the American service and the one we get in the UK any many other countries.

Here, it is possible to purchase a cheap phone and use it on a PAYG tariff, fair enough picture messages cost more than a standard text, but the costs aren't exorbitant.

BTW, have you contacted your network provider yet, as I mentioned before, they should be able to assist you with your problem.

marymary100 - 13-11-2009 at 17:36

Presumably as Daz has U2U'd you, you now have a solution.

Daz - 13-11-2009 at 17:38

Quote:
Presumably as Daz has U2U'd you, you now have a solution.

My magic has indeed been worked.

I shall expect my heavenly reward in the form the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow! :D

marymary100 - 13-11-2009 at 18:11

Remember your friends when you win... ;)

giron - 13-11-2009 at 19:06

Let's all rejoice that Daz will be sharing his winnings with us. waveysmiley

Daz - 13-11-2009 at 19:26

Does that mean I'll have to buy Scholar a new mobile phone, buy MM a swine flu jab, and giron a new stamp confused2

giron - 13-11-2009 at 19:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Does that mean I'll have to buy Scholar a new mobile phone,

If you do, make sure it's got a comprehensive instruction manual, otherwise you'll spend weeks trying to answer his questions on how to use it! waggyfinger

PS - what's this stamp thing all about? confused2

Can I have Rolls Royce instead, please? waveysmiley

marymary100 - 13-11-2009 at 19:50

My needs are bigger than a swine flu jab.
:P

Daz - 13-11-2009 at 20:44

Quote:
My needs are bigger than a swine flu jab.
:P

:D Typical women!

;)

giron says you can share his backseat in the Roller, if you like...

giron - 13-11-2009 at 20:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

giron says you can share his backseat in the Roller, if you like...

Actually, I was going to offer her a job as my chauffeur. ;)

I'll be sitting in the back, drinking Brandy and smoking cigars. kewl_glasses

Oh, and just to keep on topic, I'll be sending picture messages from my mobile phone. ;)

scholar - 14-11-2009 at 00:24

Daz has indeed solved the problem.

thankingyou Daz :D

He got a password established for me, and retrieved the picture. He reported to me that the site did not work properly in Opera (which is what I usually use). He had to use IE to get it to work.

Alas, the picture was a pair of lips, with a caption indicating it signified blowing me a kiss. The name on it was no one I know, so I figure it was sent to the wrong number!shocked_yellowshocked_yellow:P:P:P:P:P

Daz did give me permission to post what I wish with respect to the help he gave me (so, I am within forum rules in telling y'all).

giron - 14-11-2009 at 00:36

Quote:
Daz has indeed solved the problem.

thankingyou Daz :D

Well done Daz. waveysmiley

Quote:
He got a password established for me, and retrieved the picture.

I'm a bit puzzled, why was Daz able to set up your passwork, but you couldn't?

Daz - 14-11-2009 at 00:44

I have the power.

scholar - 14-11-2009 at 00:49

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
I'm a bit puzzled, why was Daz able to set up your passwork, but you couldn't?
I could not make it work in Opera. Daz had the wisdom to try IE as well, where it did work.

giron - 14-11-2009 at 00:57

Quote:
Daz had the wisdom to try IE as well, where it did work.

It's a sad fact that some sites don't function properly if you use a browser other than IE.

At least you've learnt something, always try using IE if other browsers don't seem to work.

Yes, it's annoying when you're forced to do this, but until all sites take the trouble to ensure browser compatibility, there's not much else you can do.

Daz - 14-11-2009 at 00:57

TBF to Scholar, I was at the point of calling it a day myself and giving up, because it was just constantly looping back, and failing.

I tried all the mask as, and identify as, options in Opera, which do usually work. And in fact, even my first couple of attempts in IE failed, but then when I went back to the main home page, and tried logging in from there, it finally let me...

Bit odd, but got there eventually.

giron - 14-11-2009 at 01:01

On that note, I'm going to call it a night.

Take care, both of you, see you soon. waveysmiley

scholar - 14-11-2009 at 02:09

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
TBF to Scholar, I was at the point of calling it a day myself and giving up, because it was just constantly looping back, and failing.

I tried all the mask as, and identify as, options in Opera, which do usually work. And in fact, even my first couple of attempts in IE failed, but then when I went back to the main home page, and tried logging in from there, it finally let me...

Bit odd, but got there eventually.
So, it wasn't just wisdom, but wisdom + perseverence. Two excellent qualities to have in a friend tacking a tech problem.:Dwaveysmiley

Thanks again.kewl_glasses

LSemmens - 15-11-2009 at 11:51

Sounds like a dud site! A lot of work for precious little! I'm glad that it's sorted.

scholar - 16-11-2009 at 05:05

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Sounds like a dud site! A lot of work for precious little! I'm glad that it's sorted.
If the picture had been worth Daz's work (and not a wrong number :P:P) I would have been happier. But, the greater fruit of Daz's work is that I am not set up to get future pictures. I know people who have picture cell phones, and who might take a digiital photo for me now that I can receive it on my computer.

At least it didn't turn out to be a rude picture, sent to me as a joke.:)

waffler - 16-11-2009 at 05:14

check your phone bill

scholar - 16-11-2009 at 05:36

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
check your phone bill
I don't get a phone bill. My phone is a prepay mobile. I pay for $15 at a time, and it gets used up according to the expense of how I use it.

Do you think I am going to get money deducted for a picture that my phone is not even equipped to get?shocked_yellow

Daz - 16-11-2009 at 10:02

Quote:
Do you think I am going to get money deducted for a picture that my phone is not even equipped to get?shocked_yellow

Some networks used to charge for receiving a picture message I believe...?

Mary2 - 16-11-2009 at 11:01

One doesn't often get something for nothing.

scholar - 16-11-2009 at 14:38

Correction needed, which I did not see before the edit button disappeared:

Quote:
If the picture had been worth Daz's work (and not a wrong number :P:P) I would have been happier. But, the greater fruit of Daz's work is that I am not now[<--this is the word I meant to type] set up to get future pictures. I know people who have picture cell phones, and who might take a digiital photo for me now that I can receive it on my computer.

At least it didn't turn out to be a rude picture, sent to me as a joke.:)