Karl`s PC Help Forums

Tiscali net speed
HannibalL - 20-3-2008 at 20:33

Hi there anyone having probs with Tiscali b/band? i originaly had a bt homehub which ran at 3-4megs..but after some rows with bt over other issues, i changed to tiscali bband and their modem, (this was 5 months after ditching bt) the bband had been runnin at 210-340kb/s ( i gave it a few days to settle..incase) i rang tiscali who did a line check and said it was a fault with the line, bt would sort it..after 2 days my speed shot up to 4 megs..great, then i decided to have their wireless modem as my daughter had a laptop so one was sent out, my speed has again dropped this time to 320-328 kb/s (without the laptop bein connected) i again ran Tiscali who said there is no fault and i am gettin 3.5megs??? if i mouse over the internet connection t.v,s on the task bar it says 4.8mbps, the other set of tv,s says local area connection speed 100mbps the router is connected to the main pc via a ethernet cable..Bt also say there is no faults so where the heck is my speed...any ideas pps? the wireles modem is a siemens SE 587 WLAN dsl i am in the n'hants area of the uk (if that makes a diff) if the laptop is connected the speed is almost non existant, we tryed to check it on speedtest.net

DMWright - 20-3-2008 at 22:18

Try more than one site, and different times...
http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk/

I have Tiscali and my speed drops like a brick around 5pm... speeds right back up around 2am... ;)

SRD - 20-3-2008 at 22:25

Maybe if you went to bed at night your skin condition would clear up.

Daz - 20-3-2008 at 22:32

http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/ is a decent test to run...

Or, another one similar to Speedtest...

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/

John Barnes - 21-3-2008 at 10:13

My self and my neighbour both signed up for Tiscali 8meg broadband
I am coming in at an average of 5.6mbps and he who is on the same telephone box and the same exchange gets a measly 2.3mbps, why ? I don't know, I put it down to the vagaries of the line connections we are both about 400 yards from the exchange,
ps- Hannibal if you are doing your downloads by Bit Comet limit your uploading to about 10 and your download line to about 650, do any downloading after 11pm at night your speed will change, the later you download the faster .jmb

HannibalL - 21-3-2008 at 16:29

lol downloadin erm i guess i could download IF i left the p.c on day n night over a few weeks i might be able to lol ..checked speed on all sites above and ranged from...309 kbps to the tiscail one at 476.8 kbps (well the would wanna seem better) but still way lower than i am paying for...upto 8 megs unlimited ha ha maybe the meen 0.8megs ;) going to ring them again and complain..after all i am paying 4 a service i am not receiving..ps speeds the same all day and night tryed at diff times just to check...

Quaver - 21-3-2008 at 16:35

Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalL
going to ring them again and complain..after all i am paying 4 a service i am not receiving...

Good idea. Tiscali's support forum is good, but it's closed for Easter until Tuesday.

HannibalL - 21-3-2008 at 16:41

typical...will ring them on tuesday and see what suport forum has to say to ty forgot was easter hols doh!!!

HannibalL - 23-3-2008 at 20:38

had a call today from tiscali..bt has fixed your line fault..ermmm no its still running at 200-400kbps...Tiscali...erm ok BT siad was fixed, will ring them and ask for a home vistit to check the house lines...???

Quaver - 23-3-2008 at 21:50

Quote:
home visit to check the house lines...???

My line was noisy from the beginning, dodgy BT line. I wanted it fixed, but was told that if they don't find a fault, then I'll have to pay for their visit which was about 100 at the time.

I left it as it is for a long time, until when we went broadband. We couldn't connect at all, so Tiscali arranged a BT visit (BTOpenreach was not up then;)). They found the dodgy connection, fixed it, and life is rosy nowkewl_glasses

HannibalL - 2-4-2008 at 20:19

Ok update on this..

Bt came out checked all lines and did a test..4.9 megs to the main socket...bt recon its the cable i use from the socket to my pc??? ok anyone this is my set up...

Bt main socket in hall way, filter connected to BT socket, small cable to the router (siemens SE 587) and (power supply to router, socket right by router) then ethernet cable from router to back of pc (cable about 10 ft as cant put pc near socket as in hall way)

small tv's on task bar say 4.9 mbps but online speed test says 508 kbps at best and 190 kbps at worst...any ideas where the 4 megs has dissapeared from the socket to the pc???? Bt engineer said that even on peak times the speed should not drop to much so where oooh where has my Tiscali speed gone !!!

LSemmens - 3-4-2008 at 13:30

What processes are running in the background? How is your computer security? You may have some "nasties" leeching your bandwidth.
Just as an experiment, move your box out into the hallway and connect directly to the modem with a shorter cable.

HannibalL - 3-4-2008 at 18:38

Moved the box..speed still the same.I even tryed a speed check with daughters pc through wireless connection without my pc swiched on, and even disconnected the ethernet cable to my pc and connectedto net throught her laptop via wireless as extra checks....the speed stays around the same ...my pc has the following processes ..all xp start ups, firewall (xp) plus, AVG, winpatrol, spynomore i think thats it...i do a reg spybot and adware check plus run my AVG once a week i use CCleaner daily Any ideas...seems a little odd that all pc's and laptops no matter how i connect have arround the same speed yet main socket runs at 4.8 megs....cant be all the pc's having "nasties" daughters is brand new and has only been used a few times on the net (all security has been addressed)

John Barnes - 3-4-2008 at 23:15

Even though it says 8 meg broadband it is more than rare that you will get the full 8 megs due to the contention and state of the copper wire etc, when i got tiscali broad band it first came in at 7.6 then it slowly deteriorated to such a point i complained to tiscali and then it went up to 5.8 . tiscali are famous or should i say infamous for traffic shaping where they leech a bit here and a bit there off peoples bandwidth to make up for shortfalls in their system . and the download are dramatically different if you download after 11-30 at night any time between 5pm and 11pm expect your speed to be slowed and shaped there is very little you can do about . outside of asking for your mac number and moving to a server that will guarantee download speed and they are very rare indeed , they are over subscribed jmb

Quaver - 4-4-2008 at 07:05

Do you have Sky by any chance? Is it filtered?

LSemmens - 4-4-2008 at 13:29

I agree with your assessment, Hannibal, were the problem restricted to only one PC or one room of the house, then my analysis may have been accurate, but not with two PC's and connected via different means. John's assessment may well be nearer the truth.

HannibalL - 4-4-2008 at 22:26

i can sorta understand what John is sayin..i know a lot of b/band supplyers say up to?? megs but mine has been tested to the Bt socket and comes in at 4.8 megs even Bt guy said its a really good spped To the socket...its from the socket it seems to dissapear. If it were comin in at 512 0r even 1 meg i could understand the spped at the pc being low but its a constant 4.8 megs up to the BT socket..
Quaver..why do u ask about the Sky...yes we have sky tv but filtered? not sure what you mean?
ty for any help this low speed is drivin me potty sooooo sloooow :(
I wonder is the drop in the speed due to the modem? faulty maybe? seems so odd 4.8 megs to BT socket..then as low as 190 at pc?

John Barnes - 4-4-2008 at 23:43

Well mine is a sagem 800 fast modem from tiscali my next door neighbour who has the same package as myself and uses the same exchange gets only 3.6 whether that has do with the length of wire from socket to modem or because he is on a laptop I dont know as i get 5.8mbs and i downloaded today at 650 kbs per second just today at 2pm , which i think is fast and will satisfy my needs jmb

giron - 4-4-2008 at 23:59

It's, often, very easy to blame Tiscali for problems relating to connection speeds, but, you need to check out your local connection, before making accusations.

For example, I'd recently been having problems with dropped connections.

Easy to blame Tiscali, but the fault was due to a defective Voyager router.

The device was unstable, due to overheating.

DMWright - 5-4-2008 at 01:29

..it's easy to blame Tiscali because the service for many is poor... lol

I wonder if the service will improve after they are sold, guess it depends who buys them.

Quote:

On Monday, Tiscali signalled it was up for sale and Tiscali UK has been valued at between 550m and 600m.

HannibalL - 6-4-2008 at 12:31

Giron..i have now checked with another router i had supplyed buy Tiscali this time its not a wireless router just a standard modem...speed is 293.4kbps....so wheres it all going? 4.8 meg at socket 293 at pc? very odd

LSemmens - 6-4-2008 at 12:34

I've deleted all your double posts, David. Just a thought, Hannibal, have you tried the connect speed with only one PC connected? Turn off the Wireless from the router, just in case someone is leeching your signal and dragginf your speeds down.

LSemmens - 6-4-2008 at 12:35

Just noticed your latest post, ignore me, most people do.

John Barnes - 6-4-2008 at 13:22

Quote:
Giron..i have now checked with another router i had supplyed buy Tiscali this time its not a wireless router just a standard modem...speed is 293.4kbps....so wheres it all going? 4.8 meg at socket 293 at pc? very odd

just thought i had better inform you that the 4.8 meg you quote is megabits not megabytes and there are 8 bits to byte so divide your megs by 8 and you will get a true reading and if you are quoting 293 mbps then i would not moan as that is quite respectable as i say the line condition and traffic shaping and line contention all chip away at your download speed, be satisfied . as others are not getting half your speed for the same price . also try a download in the early hours , as i got 650 mbps download but when at peak time it drops to some timesto aout 75 mbps, also if you are downloading through bit comet adjust your download speed to about 700 and your upload to to 10 yes ten. you may see a dramatic improvement as you are uploading as fast as you downloading which will slow you down radically judging by your figures in your first post.jmb

Quaver - 6-4-2008 at 14:11

Quote:
Quaver..why do u ask about the Sky...yes we have sky tv but filtered? not sure what you mean?

Have you tried unplugging the Sky, just to test if it makes any difference?

Quaver - 6-4-2008 at 15:15

By unplugging Sky, I mean both at the mains and the phone socket;)

John Barnes - 6-4-2008 at 15:18

I took out the sky to telephone plug years ago and never noticed any difference it does nothing to the standard of quality of the reception of the picture on the television , jmb

Quaver - 6-4-2008 at 15:28

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
I took out the sky to telephone plug years ago and never noticed any difference it does nothing to the standard of quality of the reception of the picture on the television , jmb

rolls_eyes

DMWright - 6-4-2008 at 17:36

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I've deleted all your double posts...

Sorry about that, the forum was acting weird for me the other day, just before it disappeared completely for a while.. ah well, no worries. :)

The attached image says 194kbps (24KB/sec) is it that slow all the time (like at 3am) or just during the day?

..my Tiscali line is 240kbps at the moment, but was 2950kbps last night (this morning really)... I'm sure Tiscali is just overloaded.

marymary100 - 6-4-2008 at 18:09

I lost my connection completely today for about half an hour. It's funny that it happens most often on Sundays.....

giron - 6-4-2008 at 21:13

Quote:

To me, that would indicate a problem with your internal wiring.

It's in your own interest to thoroughly check this, because if Tiscali arrange for a BT engineer to investigate and they find that your internal wiring is faulty, that are likely to charge you for the call out.

HannibalL - 8-4-2008 at 19:38

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Quote:

just thought i had better inform you that the 4.8 meg you quote is megabits not megabytes and there are 8 bits to byte so divide your megs by 8 and you will get a true reading and if you are quoting 293 mbps then i would not moan as that is quite respectable as i say the line condition and traffic shaping and line contention all chip away at your download speed, be satisfied . as others are not getting half your speed for the same price . also try a download in the early hours , as i got 650 mbps download but when at peak time it drops to some timesto aout 75 mbps, also if you are downloading through bit comet adjust your download speed to about 700 and your upload to to 10 yes ten. you may see a dramatic improvement as you are uploading as fast as you downloading which will slow you down radically judging by your figures in your first post.jmb

John i'm a little lost here lol bits, bytes ermmm ok here goes..tv's on task bar (internet connection speed) say 4.8 Mbps speed test (online) says ...Kbps...Bt checked main BT phone socket...constant 4.8 Mbps

Sky is not cable it is via a dish with ariel cable makes no odds connected or not..
tryed two diff modems one wireless the other not.
Tryed with only one pc running...still slow speed
tryed with a diff pc but still just one running still slow...
Is 200 Kbps a broadBand speed?

BT are comin out again on friday to recheck as i am not happy
tryed speed at 3 in morning and wooohooo its 3.8Mbps on my pc (no others in house connected) erm confused now

see pic this is what speed check says...

Quaver - 9-4-2008 at 12:52

Quote:
Sky is not cable it is via a dish with ariel cable makes no odds connected or not..

Just thought I'd check after seeing this:
http://lifestyle.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6936&vpr=yes

HannibalL - 10-4-2008 at 21:21

Interesting !!!
Have asked a number of pps in villiage about thier BBand ...Tiscali customers say their speed is v low to but shoots up late night...Thats no good to me as i surf usually between 4pm and 11 pm kids are on during day when not at school..speed low then ...Note stay up till 3am for downloading lmao

delanti - 10-4-2008 at 21:54

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
I lost my connection completely today for about half an hour. It's funny that it happens most often on Sundays.....

More kids home playing games on line?confused2