Karl`s PC Help Forums

Wireless connection
Roadrunner - 6-3-2008 at 20:11

I currently use a desktop connected via adsl modem from the main BT line box. Can I connect a wireless router via a dual plug from the linebox to work a wireless laptop and leave the modem to work the desktop,

Daz - 7-3-2008 at 02:24

The easiest way, IMHO, is something LIKE THIS

You config the Router (with built in ADSL Modem) with your current modem details... EG. Username/Password and Dialup number. (Usually 0.38 etc)

Then just set the Wireless side of things how you want them...

SRD - 7-3-2008 at 08:15

You could do, but wireless modems often have ethernet connections as well and you could use that if you want a wired connection, I'm assuming that you don't have the wireless facility on your PC.

Roadrunner - 7-3-2008 at 09:09

Thanks Daz & SRD,yes you are correct in assuming no wireless on desktop,although it is only 20ft from where the router will be installed the signal would have to pass through two 2ft stone walls[they had not heared of stud walls in the 17th century] plus the fact as the desktop connection works ok would prefer to leave it as is. The real truth is too mean to convert desktop to wireless.
Any recommendations for router,as good range as possible, no chance of neighbours borrowing signal as I live just behind 'the back of beyond'
Ps Are you the Simon who used to feature on the Tiscali Forums ?

craig1912 - 7-3-2008 at 09:26

I've used a Belkin router for 4 years. The range isn't great (although I think the newer ones are better) but customer service has always been very good when I've had issues with it.

SRD - 7-3-2008 at 09:28

Well if I'm not some bugger's pinched my picture for his av. :D

I've got a Netgear DG834G v3 which seems to work pretty well, I've not tried it through stone walls though. The advantage of setting up your PC to run through the same router is the ability of the two 'puters to talk to each other via a network, also you wil be able to operate printers, external storage units etc. etc. from both. This can be done with your current set up (I think) but will be much more complicated. Using the single router makes it much easier.
I got myself in an unholy mess setting up my router and network but Pot-head Pixie took me through it very carefully, step by step. The thread is probably still there in the T forum but someone here may well be able to offer similar advice. Needless to say the mess I got myself in was because I didn't follow the instructions that came with the router properly, using the ethernet connection was no problem, it was configuring the router with the wireless utility in my 'puter and my firewall and other security that caused the upset, but, once I started doing what I was told, it went like dream.

Daz - 7-3-2008 at 10:18

I only ever buy Linksys, both for myself, and for people who ask me to get/help/advise them on the their wireless kit.

I've never been disappointed yet, rock solid.

SRD - 7-3-2008 at 10:24

Daz: That one you posted the link to says it's BT only, presumably they make other ones for non BT users.

craig1912 - 7-3-2008 at 10:51

I've given up with wireless in the house and use these instead

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-MicroLink-dLAN-Highspeed-Starter/dp/B000A7IE7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1 204887045&sr=1-1

Daz - 7-3-2008 at 10:57

Quote:
Originally posted by SRD
Daz: That one you posted the link to says it's BT only, presumably they make other ones for non BT users.

They do indeed, Linksys, is, (or was?), I believe, part of Cisco.

Not that that's relevant at all, I just thought I'd share it! ;)

I only mentioned the BT one because it's easier, in most cases, to just use the Router/Modem combo, rather than keeping your old Modem and using a standard Router... (Because some of the supplied ISP Modems can in fact also be wired Routers, which can be a pain to setup if you're not aware of this, two routers etc and not realising...)

Roadrunner - 7-3-2008 at 11:17

Dont think that would work here Craig1912,when the house was refurbished it was done in two stages and to make the job easier the electrical work was also done this way therefore some rooms on different ring main to others,thanks anyway

LSemmens - 7-3-2008 at 12:55

I have a D-Link modem/router set up in my office. When my daughter was visiting from interstate her lappy was able to get signal from the router despite the fact that the office is in a "tin shed" some 20 metres away from the brick house, and she was in a room on the far side of the house, to boot.

A couple of stone walls may attenuate the signal, but they shouldn't block it completely.

craig1912 - 7-3-2008 at 15:50

Quote:
Originally posted by Roadrunner
Dont think that would work here Craig1912,when the house was refurbished it was done in two stages and to make the job easier the electrical work was also done this way therefore some rooms on different ring main to others,thanks anyway

Shouldn't matter as long as you have one electricty meter- see here
http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/button/dlanfaq.html#Frage_062

And they are genuinly plug and go-they just work!