Karl`s PC Help Forums

How do I use this new phone?
scholar - 15-2-2008 at 21:37

A friend of mine gave me a new cell phone (mobile, I think you Brits say). It has a nice display, but I do not know how to operate it.

The verizon logo is on it. It has a multi-direction button, which one can press for up, down, left, right, or press in the center. (I press it in the center to get the screen to illuminate. Otherwise, it displays darkly, as if to save power.)

It has two small black buttons, labeled ok and clr.
Beneath these are a picture of a green phone receiver, up, and a picture of a red phone receiver, down.

The rest of the keys each have either a number or * or # on the lower half, and either standard telephone letters on the upper half, or a picture of an envelope, or "shift" or "next" or "space."

The pixel-style display screen typically gives two choices at a time, or a list, and a choice or an item on the list will be highlighted in green.

I have initiated phone calls a couple of times already by mistake, and hung up as quickly as I could.

I don't know how to delete information, how to send text messages, how to read text messages, or how to answer the phone if it rings. I think I can make a call by punching in the numbers and hitting the green phone. I think I hung up when I was calling by mistake, by hitting the red phone.

The phone is a semi-shiny grey (not chrome bright). The back of the phone has two inscriptions:

KYOCERA

QUALCOM
38 COMA

Who would name a phone model "coma"?shocked_yellowshocked_yellowshocked_yellow

Does anyone know how to work a phone of this type?

Quaver - 15-2-2008 at 22:00

Just dial the number and press green phone receiver button. To finish, the red button;)
To delete stuff, clr. OK is probably like enter in PC;)

I never owned Kyocera phone though.
Can you find your model here? http://tools.kyocera-wireless.com/phoneshowcase.do
I couldn't find model no.38confused2
Can you describe more? Is it a folding type? Slider? Candy-bar??

marymary100 - 15-2-2008 at 22:01

Couldn't you ask the friend who gave you the phone?

Quaver - 15-2-2008 at 22:05

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The phone is a semi-shiny grey (not chrome bright). The back of the phone has two inscriptions:

Like this?

giron - 15-2-2008 at 23:17

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100

An excellent suggestion, mmC.

The friend might even have the original instruction manual that came with the phone.

janet - 15-2-2008 at 23:21

Google for the model and "manual" - I'd be very surprised if you don't find a PDF of the manual.

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 23:22

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Quote:

Like this?
Mine looks closer to this, but still not exactly. The buttons on mine are horizontal, like a stack of rounded bricks with mortar between them, instead of being slanted up.

giron - 15-2-2008 at 23:29

As Quaver has already pointed out, there seems to be no reference to this particular phone on the manufactures website.

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 23:30

Quote:
The friend lives about 65 miles away. I see him every month or two. He is in a different area code from me, so it is expensive to call him. (But, not out of the question, if I get stuck. However, he wouldn't have the phone to handle, if his memory is kinesthetic.)

I think Quaver's basic instructions will work.

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 23:34

Quote:
Originally posted by giron
As Quaver has already pointed out, there seems to be no reference to this particular phone on the manufactures website.
It may be one generation too old. They don't list my previous qualcom phone, either

giron - 15-2-2008 at 23:34

Quote:
He is in a different area code from me, so it is expensive to call him.

That's rip off USA for you!

Thank goodness the UK phone companies are able to offer an economical service.

scholar - 15-2-2008 at 23:41

Quote:
Originally posted by janet
Google for the model and "manual" - I'd be very surprised if you don't find a PDF of the manual.
I have just figured out that I misread one alphanumeric. It now appears to me to be
3G COMA I had to put on two pairs of glasses to see it, and I only distinguished that it was a G instead of an 8 by using a third pair of glasses, which is the first time I've ever tried it. I think the combined lense strength must be 7.25X, if they are added.:o:o:o:o:o

Heck, I might as well wear a jeweler's eyepiece.:o:o

Daz - 16-2-2008 at 01:00

Is there any more info listed, because even with 3G, it's still not turning much up...

Try this link HERE for info on getting your model number... (Click the "Show Me" button under the phone picture, for the demo to start...)

giron - 16-2-2008 at 01:07

scholar, I suspect that your friend knew what they were doing when they lumbered you with this phone.

It's a load of rubbish, sling it in the bin!

Daz - 16-2-2008 at 01:08

I'm not even sure what you're saying is COMA, is just that... I "think" it might possibly be CDMA...

Possibly...

Daz - 16-2-2008 at 01:12

Quote:
scholar, I suspect that your friend knew what they were doing when they lumbered you with this phone.

It's a load of rubbish, sling it in the bin!

Can't beat Nokia if you ask me... The 3310 is still a great phone for ease of use, and effectiveness... (My father uses Mrs D's old one)

giron - 16-2-2008 at 01:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Can't beat Nokia if you ask me.

I'm a Nokia fan, but some of their phones do have problems.

I'm currently using a 6230i, it's a few years old but it suites my modest needs.

Daz - 16-2-2008 at 01:24

Quote:
I'm a Nokia fan, but some of their phones do have problems.

I'm currently using a 6230i, it's a few years old but it suites my modest needs.

That was my old phone, until I swapped a CPU+HSF, some DDR and a HDD for my mates unwanted contract phone... Nice little phone. Very slow camera though, waste of time trying to take a snap of little Daz, as he was long gone by the time the picture was taken...!

Got a Data cable here for it, if you fancy it...?

giron - 16-2-2008 at 01:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

Got a Data cable here for it, if you fancy it...?

Thank's for the kind offer, but I've got a data dable.

It's not used very often, bluetooth does the job, for me.

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 01:31

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
I'm not even sure what you're saying is COMA, is just that... I "think" it might possibly be CDMA...

Possibly...
I put on the three pairs of glasses again, and I think you are right! Good call, Daz!

giron - 16-2-2008 at 01:34

Take a closer look, perhaps it's not a mobile phone, could it be a TV remote control handset? :D

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 01:44

Oh, rats! I read that CDMA is Code Division Multiple Access. It appears to refer to the technology standard the phone employs.

That's not a model number!

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 01:54

Quote:
Take a closer look, perhaps it's not a mobile phone, could it be a TV remote control handset? :D
I see the way your eyes look on that live webcam picture under your name, Gironski! Your vision couldn't be that great! greengrin greengrin

No, I'm not Mr. Magoo. The lettering is just very, very small, and I need strong reading glasses.

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 02:06

I just found something else, printed inside the phone, in very, very small letters.

The model of the phone is "VOID IF TAMPERED"

:(:(:(

Actually, if there is any more information inside the phone, it is blocked by the battery. I'm afraid to take out the battery to look, in case any programming would be lost.

Daz - 16-2-2008 at 02:31

Quote:
Actually, if there is any more information inside the phone, it is blocked by the battery. I'm afraid to take out the battery to look, in case any programming would be lost.

Did you actually look at the link I posted...? If they advise you that you need to remove the battery, to find the model number, I would imagine they know what they are talking about, no...?

You will not lose anything by pulling the battery...!

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 02:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Did you actually look at the link I posted...? If they advise you that you need to remove the battery, to find the model number, I would imagine they know what they are talking about, no...?

You will not lose anything by pulling the battery...!
The window that comes up in this browser showed a background, without anything in the foreground, when I tried it before.

I'll give it another try in another browser, that works better for sites that use flashplayers.

I might have to close down this browser to free up enough resources.

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 03:05

No joy! My Internet Explorer doesn't display anything on that link, either, except a background and a "close window" button.:(

Daz - 16-2-2008 at 03:31

Get Adobe Flash Player here

Or try HERE and click the "Phone Demo" link (about half way down in small font), which then opens up a new page/popup showing what to do, to find your model number...

Which is just basically telling you remove the battery, and look at the reverse of the battery, or behind where the battery sits. (Which is pretty standard on ALL makes of phone, TBH...)

Are you still running Win98...?

Redwolf5150 - 16-2-2008 at 03:32

Quote:

Aim it at the television and see if giron is right.

roffle

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 03:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

roffle
I'm glad to be of entertainment, my friend. greengrin

Redwolf5150 - 16-2-2008 at 03:52

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

roffle

After the week I've had, I'm easily amused.

:D

SRD - 16-2-2008 at 08:31

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

roffle
Always remember, those that make us laugh the most usually have a stooge without whom the comic is nothing.

Quaver - 16-2-2008 at 08:36

There's no harm in taking the battery out to check the model number. So long as you replace it back reasonably soon;)

I used to have 2 batteries back in late 90s (battery didn't last long) which I swapped around.

Nowadays, I have several sims which I swap round (some places does not have network coverage), and to do that I have to take the battery out;)

marymary100 - 16-2-2008 at 08:58

I passed over my last phone to my dad. I wouldn't have dreamed of giving it to him without showing him how it worked first.

charles - 16-2-2008 at 10:24

Here you go Scholar,online tuition as well.

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/

charles - 16-2-2008 at 10:27

Quote:

No,he picked his pocket............:P:P:P:P

marymary100 - 16-2-2008 at 10:39

Scholar's a Fagin.........are you sure?

SRD - 16-2-2008 at 10:49

Quote:
Scholar's a Fagin.........are you sure?
Tut tut, and you a school marm, Fagin wasn't the pick-pocket, the boys were, so scholar may be an Artful Dodger, or an Oliver Twist, but not a Fagin.

marymary100 - 16-2-2008 at 11:10

He started out as a pickpocket, which is why he could train his dodgers.............;)

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 15:18

No, I am not a pickpocket.

I have now had some experience with the on-screen menu, and gotten to the various settings. I am not yet fast, but I am getting there.

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 18:36

I have found it! The model number is K404. It was first manufactured in April 2004, but has since been discontinued. This leads me to wonder if I need to buy another battery (while some are still setting on shelves somewhere), or is it more likely the one I have will last as long as the phone (including the possibility that the phone technology may change)?

I am especially happy that, when the phone service provider changed its technology so that I had to move to a newer phone, they did not change my phone plan or charge me to transfer my phone number to the new phone. As far as I can tell, all the phones now sold cost at least twice as much per month (new phones require $30 per month; my old plan only costs $15 per month). It appears I am grandfathered out.:D:D:D

I have downloaded the pdf manual, too.

Quote:
Released for Verizon, the Kyocera K404 has exchangeable faceplates to allow users to choose the look of their phone. A built-in flashlight makes sure there's no more fumbling in the dark. Personalize the K404 with built-in polyphonic ring tones, screen savers, wallpapers, themes, and cartoon caller alerts. Useful applications are packed into the K404 including a world clock, scheduler, calculator, alarm clock, stopwatch, tip calculator, and countdown timer.

Quaver - 16-2-2008 at 19:00

Sporty looking phone!waveysmiley

How long does your battery last? If it's OK then I wouldn't buy extra. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new phone altogether than buy a new battery;)

Make sure you know how to use the calculator - it's very handy working out which is cheaper at supermarkets:D
Alarm clock is good to know too;)

scholar - 16-2-2008 at 19:31

I can do division in my head. :D My sainted father was better at it than I, a human calculator. During planning meetings at the chemical plant, he would come up with the answers in his head and announce them before the man with the calculator could finish punching in all the keys to get the answer!

I may use the calculator out of laziness. It would be faster for me (perhaps not for Dad), especially when comparing different quantity prices. (3 boxes, 14 oz. each, for X, compared to 5 boxes, 12 oz. each, for Y) :D

I have the specs for the battery. It is supposed to be good for about 3.5 hours of talking, or 180 passive. (That sounds suspiciously long, but the brochure brags about long battery life.) However, I haven't timed it yet to see if the life has gotten shorter over the years between charges.

It is a lithium battery. Are they the kind best allowed to run down all the way between charges? Or am I thinking of an older technology?

Quaver - 16-2-2008 at 19:49

Quote:
I can do division in my head. :D

No need to bragwaggyfinger:D
Quote:
It is a lithium battery. Are they the kind best allowed to run down all the way between charges? Or am I thinking of an older technology?

You are thinking of older technology, lithium shouldn't run down to the end too often;)

delanti - 17-2-2008 at 02:27

Quote:
No, I am not a pickpocket.

I have now had some experience with the on-screen menu, and gotten to the various settings. I am not yet fast, but I am getting there.

If you can't be fast at least your half fast.:cool:

scholar - 17-2-2008 at 03:59

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
If you can't be fast at least your half fast.:cool:

Delanti, you're such a wit. Or, at least half. . .

No, I don't stand by that remark. But I thought you might enjoy a reply in kind. nananana

I just read that the RED phone button turns on the phone. And, when I turned it on (it had turned itself off when it was fully charged), there was first an hourglass, then a verizon logo, and then K404.drop_down

LSemmens - 17-2-2008 at 12:17

A CDMA phone may work very well for you in remote areas, however...... The CDMA network is to be turned off in the near future in OZ. It has been replaced with the 3G network which is far superior to CDMA and GSM.

scholar - 17-2-2008 at 13:24

My phone says "3G CDMA," so I think it can do both.l In fact, there is also an A for Analog that could show up on the display if it ever used an analog signal. And, there is another symbol that appears to signify high speed data transfer. I think the phone can handle a few different technologies, depending where it is and what is being used--kind of like when a modem does the handshake protocols and settles for the best speed and technology that the machine on the other end can also handle.

I understand the Old World standard is better--the US has a hodge-podge of different technologies used by different phone companies, and they are patched together so one company's tower can help out another when needed.