Karl`s PC Help Forums

Overage charges
scholar - 30-7-2017 at 22:43

A message has appeared on my iPad, from AT&T (my ISP), warning me that 90% of my monthly data allotment has been used (and I am only 2/3 of the way through the period). If I go over, there will be an additional $15 charge.

I usually don't use lots of data, but I have been watching a Netflix series lately. Ruby started watching it with me, and I asked her to continue to do so, but she has plunged ahead to watch the rest of the 4 seasons without me. It is a suspenseful, continuing plot with plot twists and misdirections, so that a person cannot skip ahead. Once Ruby had begun watching several episodes ahead of me, I had to leave the room when she would watch it, or it would be spoiled for me. So, it is taking twice as much data for us to watch it separately.:(

When I complained that I did not want to have to go into overage data, that I wanted restraint on the Netflix usage, Ruby over-reacted by saying she would cut off the Netflix (rant0000 Unfair to me, that she would watch hour after hour of Netflix without me, and then propose to cut it off entirely when I am midway through a series).

I am supposing the data that I use in browsing on the desktop is small, compared to Netflix and to On Demand programs on the dish satellite television.

But, even if it is less, I do want to start shutting down the browser. I'm sure that some of the sites I visit send adverts while they are on, which must count on my data meter.

marymary100 - 30-7-2017 at 22:45

All this anger for $15. Catch yourself on.

LSemmens - 31-7-2017 at 03:22

Sounds like you need to increase your data plan. I NEVER sign up for a plan that charges for extra data. Shaped, yes, but pay for excess, Not unless I can't cope with slow speed for a few days.

John_Little - 31-7-2017 at 04:37

Sounds more to me that you and Ruby need to sort out a few problems. Why doesn't she want to watch it with you? And why did she throw the teddy out like that? There's more to this than just broadband.

marymary100 - 31-7-2017 at 09:43

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Sounds more to me that you and Ruby need to sort out a few problems. Why doesn't she want to watch it with you? And why did she throw the teddy out like that? There's more to this than just broadband.

This.

scholar - 1-8-2017 at 01:21

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
All this anger for $15. Catch yourself on.

I am greatly irritated at the thought of getting part way through a great story, and then not being prevented from finishing it. I would feel the same if I read 3/4 of a great novel, and then it was snatched away from me

But, Ruby came to herself, and invited me to finish the entire series. I watched 2 episodes which brought it to a point of resolution, and decided to stop, without watching the next two seasons. The series credits mention it is based on a book. I think I got to the end of the material in the original book, and the episodes which follow will use the characters for another plot (either new, to extend the series, or perhaps based on the author's next novel with the same characters).

LSemmens - 1-8-2017 at 01:23

Quote:
I am greatly irritated at the thought of getting part way through a great story, and then not being prevented from finishing it
If you want to be prevented from finishing it, all you need do is cancel the service.

scholar - 1-8-2017 at 01:26

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Sounds more to me that you and Ruby need to sort out a few problems. Why doesn't she want to watch it with you?

1--She is impatient, and immediately wants to see what happens next, but I can't spend that much time on television

2--She has a lot of time to fill at home. To go out, she has to drive, which is painful for her rotator cuff injuries, and she has an oxygen tank to carry around for her Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. When she finds a series she likes, she preferes to binge watch and enjoy the developments, instead of putting it on hold for me. I am lucky if I can watch for the span of one episode per day.

marymary100 - 1-8-2017 at 08:26

Your wife has a lot of health problems. I would have thought she would have been worth the $15 but from a position of love you might encourage her to get a bit more fresh air and gentle exercise instead of living her life in a comfortable chair. It's all about how you present your concerns. You come across as angry about what you are missing on TV instead of being loving towards someone sick and bored at home.

I'm presuming it is GoT you are arguing over.

LSemmens - 1-8-2017 at 10:15

SWMBO lives in her bed, She certainly gets to see a lot more TV than I. I would never begrudge her the life that she has. FWIW, we went to the doctor today, and he locked her up! I came home to pack her bags to take them back to her at the Hospital. As I was running around, my Daughter In Law walked in, I'd forgotten she was even at work (nearby). As She drives past the Hospital on the way home, it saved me another 120K round trip. :D

marymary100 - 1-8-2017 at 11:01

I hope that you get some rest and your wife gets the care she needs Leigh.

scholar - 2-8-2017 at 00:55

Quote:
Your wife has a lot of health problems. I would have thought she would have been worth the $15 but from a position of love you might encourage her to get a bit more fresh air and gentle exercise instead of living her life in a comfortable chair. It's all about how you present your concerns. You come across as angry about what you are missing on TV instead of being loving towards someone sick and bored at home.

I'm presuming it is GoT you are arguing over.

The $15 buys one additional Gb, and we had only been through about 2/3 of the month. So, if she and others in the house (including me) keep using at the same rate, I'm thinking we could have to buy another, and another, and another (since I use internet in my church work, I would not want to just wait until the next replenishment of our paid internet data).

Ruby has been watching entire seasons of television series on Netflix, sometimes letting it run on after she has fallen asleep. And lots of movies. I object, in principle, to things like running the air conditioner with the door wide open, leaving a water faucet on while you leave the room, and paying to watch something when you are asleep.

I don't know what GoT means.

marymary100 - 2-8-2017 at 07:40

You're missing the big picture.

My father adored my mother even when she slept with the tv on. You seem to have lost sight of how miserable you were when you were on your own.

How much more would it cost you to change your package to "unlimited"? We don't usually have data limits if we have streaming services like Netflix or Steam. My family have never gone for anything other than "unlimited".

scholar - 4-8-2017 at 21:22

Quote:

My father adored my mother even when she slept with the tv on. You seem to have lost sight of how miserable you were when you were on your own.

How much more would it cost you to change your package to "unlimited"? We don't usually have data limits if we have streaming services like Netflix or Steam. My family have never gone for anything other than "unlimited".

I have some real concerns about spending more than our income. I don't know if Ruby ever had the discipline of a budget.

For example: Ruby told me that, by the end of July, she had paid all the bills, but that she had used up all my paycheck money in doing so. I asked her if she had paid the rent (which is due the first of every month). She said no, and asked me to come up with $700 to pay rent.

I also gave her $100 to pay the car insurance (which I usually do, but I wasn't able to make it to the office in time). I did make a monthly payment of $98 on outstanding health care bills that are on a payment plan. And, I paid cash for Ruby's monthly medicines, which only totaled about $25. My monthly meds run over $150, if I take them all. And, they would be more expensive if I used my health insurance! Obamacare insurance pays less than if I use a pharmacy discount card!

A couple days later, she asked for $200 to pay for her smart phone service, and to make a payment on money the state says she owes for overpayment of food stamps (that is, the state gave her food stamps some years ago, she spent them, and then the state said she shouldn't have gotten the benefit and had to pay it back).

Yesterday, she told me the belt broke on her vacuum cleaner. I told her I have an extra belt to put on, and that she could look forward to use of a better model vacuum cleaner we would buy from Ken's estate. Today, I came home to find her using a new vacuum cleaner that she had purchased. Changing a belt on the cleaner she owned wasn't enough to satisfy her.

She wants me to buy the car from Ken's estate. Ken paid $23,000 for it last year. That may be more than the total cost of every car I have ever purchased (of course, the purchase price for the car, today, would be several thousand less, but it would still be in the upper teens of thousands). It's a good car, but I don't think it wise for us to buy it, even if enough value is left in the estate after all the debts are paid, and the estate taxes and Vern get their share.

Ruby told me that the oxygen concentration machine, which she has not been using, has been costing us more than $330 per month--but, she didn't know. The hospital equipment place has presented her with a bill of about $1600.

Back to OP
It may be that we will decide to go to unlimited. I object to buying data in increments of $15 for each gigabyte, over and over again, without any restraint on how much we use.

Perhaps someone can help me. How much data is a 40 minute program on Netflix? When I pay about 35 cents per day for Netflix, if my family watches two movies and 6 television shows, am I paying $15 for the data?

scholar - 4-8-2017 at 21:27

Ruby had trouble understanding the concept of paying to a different company for the data.

I explained it like this: Netflix is the product. The ISP (in this case, AT&T) provides the truck that delivers the product. But, we have only paid for that one size truck. If we fill the truck and then order more product that that, we need to pay for the extra delivery.

marymary100 - 4-8-2017 at 22:05

About a GB data per hour according to those who do it.

marymary100 - 4-8-2017 at 22:39

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

I have some real concerns about spending more than our income. I don't know if Ruby ever had the discipline of a budget.

Mr Micawber's famous, and oft-quoted, recipe for happiness:
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

LSemmens - 5-8-2017 at 04:21

Absolutely spot on, Mary. Your analogy is a good one, Schoalr, hopefully Ruby can comprehend that. I tend to break down anything technical into something that the person to whom I am explaining a concept is familiar. Cars, football, shopping......

John_Little - 5-8-2017 at 07:39

Beat me to it, mm. But then I was going to check that it was Mr Micawber - and if it was, how to spell it.

scholar - 5-8-2017 at 10:50

Quote:
About a GB data per hour according to those who do it.

That is key information for me.

So, while I have been paying 35 cents per day for Netflix, it has been costing $15 per hour to view something on it, after we reached the limit.shocked_yellow

scholar - 5-8-2017 at 10:58

People living with me watch videos on an iPad and on an Android device (it is either a tablet, or a smart-phone without an active phone account), and I view videos on my desktop computer.

Does anyone know what quantities of data are used in such cases? Does something like an iPad use less data to fill its small screen (compared to a PC)?

Are Facebook videos data-hogs? (My wife, and a person staying with us, look at Facebook. The wife's Facebook viewing is from her smartphone, and doesn't use the wifi, if I understand correctly--it works when away from the house.)

JackInCT - 5-8-2017 at 21:17

My local public library has an extensive collection of fiction and non-fiction vids (like in the hundreds) to loan out [just like a book] both in the DVD and some old videocassettes (classic type movies) format.

I presume that every single public library in the USA has its own website; that allows you to do a Google like search of its entire collections. And, as just one example, that also allows you to reserve a vid online [a first come/first serve waiting list system, with an email notification when youmove to the front of the queue], etc., and, to make a couple of renewals online.

All the libraries in my area have an interlibrary loan system which works two ways, (1) a valid library card is accepted at any library via a walk in; after a search on a given library's site, if you find what you're looking for, you can reserve it, etc., and go there to pick it up & (2) that library, via its online site, will ship it over via an interlibrary van (at least once a week, sometimes more often) to your library for you to pick up (again via email notice).

There are free alternatives to Netflix type services that your tax dollars are already paying for. One library has a mailbox type drop off/return (like a bank's outside teller) and you don't have to go inside; if there's a fine due, you can still drop it off that way, but you can't take out another book/vid until you pay the fine; it would come as no great surprise if in this era you could pay your library fines via an online credit card setup.

This post likely has overlooked what else a library has in the way of entertainment innovations these days [compared to the good olde days] that a visit to their online site will inform you about.

LSemmens - 5-8-2017 at 23:39

ANY video will chew your data.

marymary100 - 6-8-2017 at 09:18

Not if it's an actual DVD. I think Jack is suggesting they go back to borrowing films from the library if Ruby is bored at home. Either that or he thought he was posting in the library thread.

JackInCT - 6-8-2017 at 14:19

Quote:
Not if it's an actual DVD. I think Jack is suggesting they go back to borrowing films from the library if Ruby is bored at home. Either that or he thought he was posting in the library thread.

Actually you are kind of right on both counts; I missed the library thread, and in retrospect, what I posted on this thread could have just as well fit in the library thread.

One more time: especially if you have an interlibrary loan system, a visit to each LOCAL/MUNICIPAL library's website, i. e., a library nearby to your residence that's close enough to make it worthwhile to visit (AND has decent parking), seeing what they have to offer, AND incorporating its services that are most appealing to you re your lifestyle/routine, then its worth a "trial" run to see if it's worth your while. Free has a lot going for it.

Example: my next town over library has a collection of all the Inspector Morse detective programs (VCR no less); it wasn't much of a drive, and in a short time, I went through them all, even though when they aired way back when, I probably saw all of them at least twice.

Another library has a vast collection of foreign films; most of them are incredibly entertaining re plot/themes far removed from the predictable Hollywood fare, to include some low budget gems that I had never heard of, i. e., a random chance selection based solely on a brief synopsis in the library's online catalog selection. I even "acculturated" myself to some of these foreign films with subtitles (and even Australia has a great many jewels--who would have known???--Ha Ha Ha) .

If your library(s) have Film Movement DVDs [http://www.filmmovement.com/] check a few out; you won't find a single one that's ever played in a movie theater within a thousand miles from where you live [likely never heard of them, their actors, etc.,]; they have some incredible movies if 'off the beaten path' fare appeals to you.

scholar - 6-8-2017 at 23:19

I was happy on my dish network to watch free download episodes that were not in HD; they had the older picture quality that was original to series like Star Trek anyway.

I don't feel as if I need to see every pimple on an actor's face!;)

LSemmens - 7-8-2017 at 01:27

Ah! But if you don't see every pimple on the actor's bum, you might just miss out on some detail that Inspector Morse uses to solve the crime. nananana

dr john - 12-8-2017 at 20:55

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
People living with me watch videos on an iPad and on an Android device (it is either a tablet, or a smart-phone without an active phone account), and I view videos on my desktop computer.

Does anyone know what quantities of data are used in such cases? Does something like an iPad use less data to fill its small screen (compared to a PC)?

Are Facebook videos data-hogs? (My wife, and a person staying with us, look at Facebook. The wife's Facebook viewing is from her smartphone, and doesn't use the wifi, if I understand correctly--it works when away from the house.)

The data sent to you doesn't know anything about your screen size. And if it did, somehow, an ipad would cost more, as its dots per inch are very high therefore it would need more than the average monitor. Screen sizes are measured in inches, but the resolution is in pixels which means my seven inch tablet is a higher resolution than my 26 inch monitor. Which is why everything is very sharp on the little screen.

The streaming service sends everyone the same amount. They are sending the same file every time. your device processes it to display it.

As for using the phone, if wifi is active, it should use that, if not it will use the data service of the phone.

I think basically everyone is taking advantage of your internet and ignoring the fact that you have a data limit. And thus they are all contributing to your bill but not paying.
Get a decent account with more data rather than getting charged a lot for exceeding the current limits. Especially if everyone else is viewing and you are paying.
Low data limits = cheap to use but expensive when you go over the top.

scholar - 14-8-2017 at 02:27

The young person with the Android pad tells me that ISPs with data limits have reportedly been allowing overages without billing for them, most likely because they fear losing customers to more advanced technology. My DSL comes from a phone company with aging telephone lines that were installed back when everyone had land line phones and the phone company had a monopoly. Now, generally speaking, basic cell phones are cheaper than land line phones, and few young people bother with a land line phone at the homes. DSL is a way to use the existing line network for income to the owners, but it is not attractive if the cost of overages makes it no cheaper than cable and satellite alternatives.

When the bill came, it did not include ANY extra charge for overages, in spite of the numerous IM communications saying that $15 additional Gbs were being added because I'd run over. It seems they are automatic notices, but the charges do not actually go through onto the bill.

marymary100 - 14-8-2017 at 15:00

Or at least not yet. Don't become blasé. Get a better package or limit your users who are not paying for the service.