Karl`s PC Help Forums

The HP deskjet 5150 printer is giving me trouble again
scholar - 21-7-2017 at 21:13

The ink cartridge seemed to have run out.

I put in a replacement, but with some difficulty. The movements that the machine usually makes to present the cartridge location for easy out-and-in are not happening.

It seemed to start ok, but then the ink warning (the blue light shaped like a drop of ink) came on, and it would do nothing. I thought I'd gotten a bad replacement cartridge, so I got another one, but the ink light came on again.

I pulled it out and put it back in a few times, and the warning ink light is no longer coming on, but the printer does not respond when I click a document to be printed.

The connection to the Windows 8.1 machine is a USB port in the back of the machine.

I have tried unplugging and again plugging in the printer--no help.

When I try to print a document, it stays on the list, unless I mark to delete it.

It gives the odd progress message that I have sometimes seen before, such as 3/1 when I have told it to print a page. (I think that means, "printing page 3 of a total of 1 pages in the job.")

This is the printer which is no longer supported at the HP site because they abandon support after a set period (10 years, I think it is).

Any ideas?

marymary100 - 21-7-2017 at 23:49

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-5100-printer-series/304430/model/304432/troubleshooting

scholar - 22-7-2017 at 00:41

That looks like everything I could want, MM.
thankingyouthankingyouthankingyou

I remember hitting a dead end, previously, when I tried to get support for this printer. I wonder, did HP put back support that it had previously retired?confused2

marymary100 - 22-7-2017 at 10:17

No idea scholar. I did a pretty specific search on the search engine. :)

scholar - 22-7-2017 at 20:35

A report on results:

I was especially interested in
1 getting a diagnostic-and-remedy program that would work with my printer and Windows 8.1. And, I found exactly that. It just printed some printer test pages for me, with success. I haven't worked through the blinking light stuff yet.
2 getting a full-feature driver good for Windows 8.1, if such a thing exists. The HP site simply lists installation of the driver on the OS list as the way to go. This may mean that the printer went out of production and HP didn't spend resources to make new, full-featured drivers as stand-alone driver installation files to download.

scholar - 22-7-2017 at 21:19

:danceman:danceman:danceman:danceman:danceman:danceman

I just printed one page of text from a multi-page document in Wordpad, and it went through splendidly.

The HP diagnostic/help utility "HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.0" does something like the engine error code reader in modern cars: it gives a report on each problem the sensors on the printer are detecting. Then, it suggests what can be done toward remedying the situation.

One of the HP support pages is also helpful in reminding me the meanings of the various lights. For example, the power button may be on, or off, or blinking. On means power is on and the machine is ready; off means the power is off and the machine is not ready; blinking means power is supplied to the machine, but it is not ready, usually because it has not finished a job sent to it, or has not otherwise finished the preparatory processes.:Dsmokin:

LSemmens - 23-7-2017 at 00:24

I purchased an old HP laser printer at auction about 12 months ago. Since then I've re-loaded most of my computers and have not worried about the HP drivers. Windoze seems to have it pretty well covered. I can print from anywhere on my network without having to look for fancy drivers. The only esoteric stuff lives on the 'puter next to the printer, and that is only for scanning.