Karl`s PC Help Forums

Inheriting Apple computers
scholar - 15-6-2017 at 08:29

Ken had three generations of desktop Apple computers. I have heard that Apple's security is much better than that of Microsoft products.

Will I be able to use an Apple machine, without knowing Ken's logon passwords? Or will each of them be large paperweights after I get them home?

What do I do with them?

LSemmens - 16-6-2017 at 02:03

As far as security, apple products are just as susceptible as any other product, it is all down to market share, there are fewer apple products in circulation and even fewer in "mission critical" areas, so it is just not the "challenge" for the idiots who want to wreak havoc for financial reward or bragging rights.

If you can find a recovery disk, then you can just blow everything away and start again, without having to worry about passwords. If you are expecting to find a lot of help with said products from this side of the pond, Sorry, you are out of luck! waveysmiley

scholar - 16-6-2017 at 14:08

I was under the impression that an Apple computer had the kind of security that prevents another person from using it without either the password or the thumb print, leaving someone such as I locked out of whatever software programs and files are on it.

Does someone here at KF know about these things? (If not, I have a few Apple-user friends, and I can look stuff up. But, it can be something to discuss, if we have an Appler here.;))

dr john - 16-6-2017 at 14:41

You do realise that none of your windows software will work on an old apple without you buying more software so that the apple runs windows?
Or buy apple software equivalents of your windows programs of course.

And you will have to teach yourself how to use each replacement program. There aren't usually apple users on a PC forum. So you could be on your own.
I would suggest you are about to dig yourself into a hole.

scholar - 16-6-2017 at 17:21

I have often heard that Apple products are really good, but I have stayed away from them because of the initial cost. Perhaps I won't make the jump.

And, as you know, computers are like cars--fast depreciation. I'd best unload it soon if I am to sell it for estate money.

LSemmens - 17-6-2017 at 06:57

Apple products are only as good as the user, back in the early days of computing they did excel in some areas, these days, they are just another player. As John has said, you will need to learn a whole new way of doing things. There are apple user fora, just like there are PC fora. If these devices are more than a couple of years old they are not going to be too desirable even on the used market.