Karl`s PC Help Forums

Locked out of PC
Nimuae - 17-5-2017 at 19:07

Just had a panic phone call from a friend - she is locked out of her computer. She has tried every combination of her password and it still say Locked. Cannot access anything to even do a system restore. I have no idea as it has never happened to me,

Any suggestions (other than a very large hammer) would be appreciated.

She is operating on Windows 7.

dr john - 17-5-2017 at 21:35

http://www.lostwindowspassword.com/break-windows-7-password-from-safe-mode.html

scholar - 17-5-2017 at 22:27

I may soon need something like this to get into my departed brother's computer. As I make efforts to handle estate matters, I will want to see anything that is subject to monthly automatic debit (e.g. an Amazon Prime account, a Netflix account, perhaps a cable network or satellite dish network, an ISP provider).

John_Little - 18-5-2017 at 07:57

If its that easy, what's the point of a password in the first place?

LSemmens - 18-5-2017 at 08:57

Passwords only keep honest people out. An Ultimate boot CD or Hiren, might be useful. As for the account passwords, Scholar, unless they are stored on site, you might be SOL.

Katzy - 18-5-2017 at 10:05

Just a thought...

This worked with older versions of Windoze, but I have no idea if anyone's tried it, for years.

If you enter the username as "Fred", it might just ask you for a new password and let you in.

Nimuae - 19-5-2017 at 05:12

Quote:
Originally posted by dr john
http://www.lostwindowspassword.com/break-windows-7-password-from-safe-mode.html

Thanks Dr John - will print out the instructions and take them with me when I go to help her sort it out.

Nimuae - 19-5-2017 at 05:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Just a thought...

This worked with older versions of Windoze, but I have no idea if anyone's tried it, for years.

If you enter the username as "Fred", it might just ask you for a new password and let you in.

I had not heard of that one, Katsy, but it is worth a try.
She is terrified of the beasty and is adamant that she did not do anything herself to cause this.

My diagnosis (sight unseen) is she has accidently pressed 'Lock' instead of 'Shut down' last time she used it - and panicked when trying to insert her password this time of use. Not sure how many failed password attempts one is allowed before the thing and/or it's user go totally mad ! Going over to sort it for her (hopefully) one day next week.

Nimuae - 19-5-2017 at 05:29

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Passwords only keep honest people out. An Ultimate boot CD or Hiren, might be useful. As for the account passwords, Scholar, unless they are stored on site, you might be SOL.

Thanks Leigh - I had not heard of Hiren before so had to google it - seems like a useful tool to have.

LSemmens - 19-5-2017 at 08:18

Hiren did have a rep some years back of supplying illegal copies of commercial software. Problem was it's range of utilities was so good, no one tended to worry. They are far more legit, these days. Still, it's a useful set of tools to keep in your arsenal.

Nimuae - 27-5-2017 at 05:27

Friend's computer now up and running again - thank you everyone for your help !

marymary100 - 27-5-2017 at 11:50

Which suggestion actually worked?

Nimuae - 28-5-2017 at 04:18

I followed the instructions given in Dr John's link to Microsft - but I have also made a us a copy of Hiren each - just in case!

It comes as a free download and looks like a useful tool.

scholar - 29-5-2017 at 17:56

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens

As it turns out, Ken has been using Apple brand computers for at least three generations, and a i-phone 7. I may be able to get some money for the recent computer, but I do not think I want to invest the time to learn the Apple programs.