Karl`s PC Help Forums

Installing a printer
scholar - 12-2-2017 at 22:07

I plugged my HP Deskjet 5100 series printer into my newer Windows 8 machine, and it was not immediately ready to use. I'd expected it would take care of itself, kind of like a mouse will use a driver already in Windows. Or, perhaps, that it would fetch a driver from the web.

It didn't happen. Do I have to go to the HP website? Or did I miss something I was supposed to do when I plugged it in?

I could look it up. But if I skip discussing it here, it doesn't add anything to KF.

JackInCT - 13-2-2017 at 00:10

I just installed an HP printer and if you go to the HP website for your country (USA I presume), or simply search for 'HP printer drivers download' you will get the usual support stuff re a series of dropdown menus re model, OS, whatever.

Play close attn. to when the install instructions tell you to turn your printer on, as well as when to connect the cable to your PC/laptop. When the install is complete you will get a 'page' with a button asking you if you want to print a test page which you should do. Of course all this presumes that you installed the inkjet cartridge/toner correctly.

scholar - 13-2-2017 at 01:55

thankingyou

Your reply brings to mind the old days on KF, when Karl was here, and more of the Forum posts were about computer problems. Drivers required more attention in the early Windows systems, and Karl used to ask us to post links whenever a problem was solved (e.g. when a driver was found that allowed newer hardware to be used with Win95 or Win98).

scholar - 21-2-2017 at 02:32

It's installed! :D;)

scholar - 25-3-2017 at 17:55

The printer failed me on the Windows 8 machine, which was using the driver found in the OS because the HP site said they did not continue to provide drivers after about 10 years. It had worked previously, as I recall, but it failed when I urgently needed it.

I am considering attempting to copy the HP driver program from the hard drive on my XP machine, which has worked great in XP. I seem to recall that some software will say a certain program can work in several versions of Windows. I'm hoping that, if it doesn't work in the Windows 8 machine, I can simply return to the driver in the OS.

What do you all think? Is this a good plan, or not?

scholar - 25-3-2017 at 19:53

I copied the whole dj5100 folder onto a USB thumb drive, then copied the folder from the thumb drive to drive C on the Windows 8 machine, and ran setup. I did connect the printer at the time the installation program asked me to. There is writing that this may take several minutes. It looks as if it has stalled--no movement on the progress bar recently.:(

scholar - 25-3-2017 at 20:03

No more progress has shown on the bar. What do I do now?confused2confused2

JackInCT - 25-3-2017 at 22:36

OK, this is a VERY convoluted reply; it's convoluted thanks to HP and its support policies (or lack thereof).

The embedded image simply shows the text from HP's website re it's policies; I got to this webpage as I double checked how I was able to install a HP 1120C Inkjet printer that must be at least 20 years old. Sure enough there are no drivers on the HP website NOW for this printer (were there some a while ago that I used??-I'm not going to remember that). BUT THIS PRINTER IS INSTALLED, READY TO GO, ETC., in my Win 7 OS. How did this happen??? Well I'm not going to remember since it was quite some time ago. While I still have the install CD (SOMEWHERE), I don't think that I used it to install this printer since it was from my Win XP era.

So you're faced with a monumental task of trial and error AKA much wasted time via the process of elimination method until, and IF, you can find a driver that works. Certainly IF I can find one (SOMEWHERE) for this very old printer, these drivers are around somewhere, and you're going to have to Google like crazy until you find yours (and of course there is no guarantee that you will, i. e., maybe I was just lucky).

The most efficient idea I have is to try this: and this is the setup in Win 7; I don't have your OS loaded anywhere and so your mileage may vary.

Go to Control Panel/Add A Printer and you should, eventually, work you way to a drop down screen that on one side lists a great many printer manufacturers, and select HP, and on the right side will appear a very large number of various HP printer models going way way back; very carefully, AND SLOWLY, scroll down the list of HP models, and see if yours is somewhere in the list [it's a very long list]--don't get suckered by the alphabetical order list of the models--this models list is NOT pure alphabet type, as various model TYPES (laser jet, inkjet, photo, etc.,) are intermixed.

IF this printer list has been done away with in your Win OS [and none of us should be the least bit surprised that MS would do something like that), your forced to go the Google search route.

Good luck.

JackInCT - 25-3-2017 at 22:43

This is PART 2 of my reply re a pix is worth a thousand words:

Win 7 OS Add A Printer Screen Capture final dialog window:

This is what I eventually get to via Control Panel/Add A Printer

scholar - 26-3-2017 at 00:36

Jack, I went into my Windows 8 list of printers and installed a driver from the list, but the printer has not worked dependably from that driver. By "not worked dependably," I mean that it sometimes fails to print anything when I try to print a document. When I go into the list on the print queue, it states it is printing a page number higher than the total number of pages in the job, e.g "printing 15/5 pages" . (printing page number fifteen out of a total of five pages)

So, I've been trying to follow your other suggestion--install the driver formerly provided by HP. I have the installation files on my XP computer, and I copied them to a thumb drive, then copied from the thumb drive to the Windows 8 computer and selected to run "setup."

But, it stopped making any progress.

There was a box in the copy dialog on the XP machine that referred to copying NTFS permissions. I'm thinking that I should have checked that box. I could try again.

Or, I can try Google to allow me to download the orphan HP installation program, as you suggested.

But for right now, I will check to see if the printer will work at all from the Windows 8 program, or whether the stalled-in-progess installation has messed up the sometimes-working driver.

JackInCT - 26-3-2017 at 03:15

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
...By "not worked dependably," I mean that it sometimes fails to print anything when I try to print a document....

There have NUMEROUS times over the years that when I send a document to the printer, but for TOTALLY UNKNOWN reasons, it won't print the document. This includes that print icon appearing in system tray taskbar, and when I click on it and it takes me to the printer queue list, there's the document all right, but nothing is printing. This whole area is further compounded if it try to delete the document that won't print, and it starts to do that, BUT it won't complete the deletion, i. e. the doc remains in the queue. I deal with it the only way that I can and that's to do a warm reboot. When the reboot is complete, I go to the queue and the document is usually gone, i. e., deleted. So I start all over to print the doc, and it usually works the 2nd time. This is, for me, NOT just a Win 7 OS issue but some type of a sporadic long term problem with either the 'quality' of the printer drivers, and/or the 'quality' of the software that I'm using to create the doc. I avoid sending more than one doc to the printer at a time, i. e., in theory you can send more than one, but it's a roll of the dice IMO as to whether they will ALL work [I've noticed that printing a high res pix with a very large file size is particularly problematic re getting a printout, i. e., the printer "hangs up". Business level printers are sold with a RAM [quantity] option, and additional hardware features that you won't find in a home user printer (like a server card for connecting to a network).

JackInCT - 26-3-2017 at 13:57

Addendum to previous post:

I should have noted that I use an LPT port via a centronics printer cable almost 100% of the time, even though my printer also has a USB port. I have zero idea at my level of tech know-how what are the relative advantages/disadvantages of one over the other, i. e., which one is most likely to be the least problematic, under what circumstances is one "better" than the other, etc.,.

And also of some unknown (to me) is the following standard: "IEEE-1284-compliant printer"--yes, there's plenty written up on the web re this standard, what it means, etc.,--not something that I readily grasp.

Of more importance is the standard itself. I recently came across this standard in the specs as I purchase an additional cable, and I didn't know IF my printer complied with this standard. My printers (I have more than one) Quick Start Guides, and User Manuals (typically both for any printer) are in pdf file format. So I did a word search for that phrase to see if it appeared somewhere in the files, and NADA, absolutely nothing about it, i. e., don't know if my printers are compliant.

One of my printers is a few years old, and at the level of a complete GUESS, I would think that it would be manufactured to that standard [sinceIEEE-1284 has been around a good while] (& even if it is a run of the mill home level printer), BUT who knows! And even if it wasn't, just what should I be expecting re "drawbacks/problems" is a complete mystery re day in, day out print jobs, i. e., just exactly why this standard was created, and what problems it was created to resolve.

scholar - 26-3-2017 at 22:43

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT
Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
...By "not worked dependably," I mean that it sometimes fails to print anything when I try to print a document....

There have NUMEROUS times over the years that when I send a document to the printer, but for TOTALLY UNKNOWN reasons, it won't print the document. This includes that print icon appearing in system tray taskbar, and when I click on it and it takes me to the printer queue list, there's the document all right, but nothing is printing. This whole area is further compounded if it try to delete the document that won't print, and it starts to do that, BUT it won't complete the deletion, i. e. the doc remains in the queue. I deal with it the only way that I can and that's to do a warm reboot. When the reboot is complete, I go to the queue and the document is usually gone, i. e., deleted. So I start all over to print the doc, and it usually works the 2nd time. This is, for me, NOT just a Win 7 OS issue but some type of a sporadic long term problem with either the 'quality' of the printer drivers, and/or the 'quality' of the software that I'm using to create the doc. I avoid sending more than one doc to the printer at a time, i. e., in theory you can send more than one, but it's a roll of the dice IMO as to whether they will ALL work [I've noticed that printing a high res pix with a very large file size is particularly problematic re getting a printout, i. e., the printer "hangs up". Business level printers are sold with a RAM [quantity] option, and additional hardware features that you won't find in a home user printer (like a server card for connecting to a network).

I have had times when my computer has been completely off, cold. When I next got things going again, the printer started to print whatever had been stacked up.

I have always figured this meant that print jobs were going into some sort of memory cache in the printer. (Usually, the computer was turned off because I could not get it to help me with respect to printing OR clearing print jobs.

Quaver - 28-4-2017 at 13:24

In my PC there's a little printer icon near the clock (bottom right), and if I click that, it shows all the documents in queue. You can cancel the ones you don't want by right clicking and choosing cancel.

JackInCT - 28-4-2017 at 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
In my PC there's a little printer icon near the clock (bottom right....

That icon shows up [as in appears] ONLY in my last several versions of Win OSs when I actually send a document to the printer, i. e., it's absent otherwise. It will disappear once the document is printed.

If the document does not print for some reason (and you never really know why it won't), it will remain in sys tray and clicking on it will open a dialog window showing what docs are in the queue with next to nothing in the way of verbiage as to what's going on/wrong; clicking a 'listing' will only give you the option to "restart" or "cancel"--more often than not, neither of those options does anything at all, and a reboot is called for. In the strange world of Win OSs, as the reboot, then the splash screen, etc., occurs very often the stubborn print job will print all on its own. Turning the printer on and off does zilch 100% of the time.

For those still using the Centronics parallel printer cable (like me), i. e, LPT ports, it pays to take a moment to ensure that the cable is still firmly attached to the PC LPT port unless you are one of those who attaches those type of cables with those little screw thingies on the cable.

Katzy - 28-4-2017 at 19:15

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar I have always figured this meant that print jobs were going into some sort of memory cache in the printer.

You're referring, I believe, to the print spooler, Scholar.

If you want to clear that, open "Administrative Tools" and "Services".
Right-click the "Print Spooler" service, and then click "Properties".
On the General tab, next to "Startup type", make sure that "Automatic" is selected.

If the service is not already running, under "Service status", click "Start", and then click OK. To stop it, click... er... "Stop".