Karl`s PC Help Forums

Word Processing Program to replace Word Pad
scholar - 12-2-2017 at 21:59

I liked word Pad on WinXP. I used it instead of full-featured word processing programs like Libre Office or Open Office because I liked to highlight text from web pages and put it into a document without the font size and other characteristics of the website version coming along with the text. With the more complex programs, stuff would come in rectangular blocks and other stuff that I figure was in the html.

On my Windows 8.1 Wordpad, the look of the program is different (not to my liking), and it appears to be more complicated/cluttered. The print seems to be finer, not so easy to read.

I recall Katzy uses something else, but I don't remember the name. It was said to be less bloated than the open source programs I mentioned.

Perhaps someone has another suggestion to make.

I recall, in the early days, there were many word processing programs. I imagine they have thinned out in numbers. I used Leading Edge when I was running a DOS machine.;):P

Or, perhaps I can use something slightly older and simpler that still works in Windows 8.

What do you all suggest?

JackInCT - 13-2-2017 at 00:30

Well ANY/ALL wp programs come with a default setup with options/preferences to modify the interface. Takes a bit of time to go through each option/preference, and some of them are on a one at a time basis to see whatever you've changed looks like. And then you ALSO have to learn how to make the final selection a default template, I. e., the same look/feel every time you open the program with a blank page. Some wp's give you the choice of setting up multiple templates (each with individual 'characteristics') and you then select which one you want when you open up.

Templates = canned pages where some of the text is already setup if you use that setup often. Business type letters are often simply a series of templates that are used over and over again, specific to certain correspondence, with filling in as little as possible that's specific to the purpose of the correspondence.

Hey, you can even do a real signature, scan it, and insert it into the letter as an image file, and no one will be the wiser that you didn't actually sign it.

John_Little - 13-2-2017 at 08:54

I've been using "open office" for years. Its got all the ms office stuff and is very similar although not identical. And its free!

marymary100 - 13-2-2017 at 10:13

I use Office. All teachers and pupils here get it free. :)

Katzy - 13-2-2017 at 10:57

Wordpad? Open office, Libre Office, at al, are kinda full-blown suites. You can get Libre Word, as a stand-alone, though.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/writer

What about something like Abiword, Scholar?

https://www.abisource.com

They're more "Word" than "WordPad", though, to be honest.

Quaver - 14-2-2017 at 07:44

You may be able to copy the old wordpad onto Windows 8.1?

Quote:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-the-good-old-wordpad-without-ribbons-working-in-windows-7/

scholar - 14-2-2017 at 09:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Wordpad? Open office, Libre Office, at al, are kinda full-blown suites. You can get Libre Word, as a stand-alone, though.

That must be the one I remember you mentioning, Katzy.

scholar - 14-2-2017 at 09:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
You may be able to copy the old wordpad onto Windows 8.1?

Quote:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-the-good-old-wordpad-without-ribbons-working-in-windows-7/

That sounds ideal, Q. It would have the look and the familiar features I want, AND I would be able to have the same documents and appearances in both machines.
thankingyou

dr john - 14-2-2017 at 12:07

To get rid of the formatting in copied text, you simply open notepad and paste the copied stuff into that, then copy it from there to the target document.
I do this all the time when clients send me a word doc with content to be put into a webpage as if the formatting is carried over directly, the web page fills up with a variety of fonts and font sizes, and lots of extra unwanted code that I then have to remove..
This way you retain the power of which ever word processing or office package you use for when you need it.

You mentioned the print seemed finer, harder to read - set a different default font and font size!!!

PS OpenOffice hasn't been updated for quite some time, it was eventually abandoned by the Apache foundation. LibreOffice is it's replacement and is still being updated.

LSemmens - 14-2-2017 at 23:19

Actually, John, rather than copy to notepad first (which is a valid method) in Werd, and I'm certain The Open source variants too, you can right click and past as text only.

scholar - 16-2-2017 at 01:54

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Actually, John, rather than copy to notepad first (which is a valid method) in Werd, and I'm certain The Open source variants too, you can right click and past as text only.

I didn't know that.

With that option (would I be correct to think Libre and OpenOffice have the same?), I may pick one and start using a single WP for everything.

Katzy - 16-2-2017 at 10:47

Edit>Select all>copy.

In the other application, just paste.

[bad img]http://melvilleroar.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/simples-300x207.jpg[/bad img]

That works with every text editor/word processor I've ever used.

Quaver - 16-2-2017 at 13:18

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

I didn't know that.

With that option (would I be correct to think Libre and OpenOffice have the same?), I may pick one and start using a single WP for everything.

LibreOffice can do that. I've uninstalled OpenOffice now that Dr.John said it has been abandoned, so I can't test it.

dr john - 18-2-2017 at 20:09

no point in testing an abandoned program, stick with it's child which is still being developed, libreoffice.

scholar - 4-3-2017 at 23:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

I went to the libreoffice page link, and did not see how to get the writer stand-alone, only the whole libreoffice.

scholar - 5-3-2017 at 03:18

Anguish!!!

I installed Abiword and printed tomorrows altar prayers. It worked fine.

I have a finished draft of tomorrow's sermon in Abiword, 7 pages long (including the Scripture text), and I have tried to print it 3 times--nothing printed. A note on a lower bar on the screen says three documents are pending, to print. The printer is still on, the USB cable is plugged in, there are no flashing warning lights for ink problems or paper problems.

I need to be able to print. . . .:(

scholar - 5-3-2017 at 03:24

I redid the document in rtf format so Wordpad could handle it, and opened it in Wordpad. Now, it is not printed from Wordpad, either. (Wordpad had never given me this problem on the Windows 8 computer.)

Quaver - 5-3-2017 at 05:21

Sounds like a printer problem.
Reinstall printer drivers?

LSemmens - 5-3-2017 at 08:24

Turn the printer off and then turn it back on again.

Katzy - 5-3-2017 at 10:20

If you get the portable version, you can remove the bits you don't want.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions

scholar - 5-3-2017 at 10:32

Quote:
Turn the printer off and then turn it back on again.
I tried that, no success.

scholar - 5-3-2017 at 10:34

Quote:

The print queue says the job it is hung up on is trying to print 32/7 pages. I tried to delete that job, but it seems stuck in the deleting process.

scholar - 5-3-2017 at 10:39

Perhaps someone knows how to get me out of a print that stalled? The printer is an HP 5150, and my machine is running Windows 8.1. The controlling program is Abiword.

scholar - 5-3-2017 at 10:46

I'm printing now on the older, slower computer running XP. But, I still must find a way to fix this on the Windows 8 machine.

Katzy - 5-3-2017 at 22:21

Start>Run.

In the text field, type “Control Printers” and click “OK.”

Under “Printers,” right-click your default printer and select “See What’s Printing.” This shows a list of print jobs that are in the queue.

Click “File” and select “Cancel All Documents.” If you continue to see print jobs in the queue, restart your computer.

OR...

You'll get the “Access Denied” error if you attempt to do this with a normal Command Prompt. So, right-click Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt (I think that's where it is in W8) and select "Run as administrator”.

Stop the spooler service by typing
"Net Stop Spooler"

Then, type the following command:
"del %systemroot%System32spoolprinters* /Q"

Restart the spooler service by typing
"Net Start Spooler"

scholar - 7-3-2017 at 01:58

I'm following the first of the two options you presented, Katzy. The strange "32/7 pages" job on the list says "deleting," but no changes have happened, so I'm going to restart the computer, as you indicated.

scholar - 13-3-2017 at 00:05

It worked!

Now, if I can avoid it happening again. . . .

scholar - 13-3-2017 at 00:19

Quote:

The HP website says that they do not support products that are [now, I forget exactly--10 years old? Or more than 10 years old?] I probably got the driver software for the XP computer toward the end of that period.

The HP site says that one should use whatever is in the Windows OS list to run the printer, but to expect such a driver to be basic-features (not as deluxe as what HP puts out, which might give you a warning when your ink is low, or even offer to order the ink for you). Since I am using the Windows-supplied driver, I don't believe I can change it (unless I do a fresh installation from my restoration media).

But, perhaps someone knows--can I copy the driver installation program from my XP computer? To put my question another way--is the driver installation program on my XP computer likely to be pre-tailored to XP only, or is the software likely to have the capability to install an appropriate drive onto other Windows OSs?