Karl`s PC Help Forums

How to lock my Windows 8.1 used computer
scholar - 15-1-2017 at 23:23

Help tells me to tap on the Start Menu identity picture to lock it when I wish to return to it in the same state later.

The identity on it is R J Pawn. If I lock it as R J Pawn, will I be able to unlock it? Will it need a password? I'd rather not find that I have locked myself out.

Is there an option for me to put another user identity on, with a password?

I would like this newer computer to be secure from others using it when people visit my home.

If you suspect that I like to leave the browser on, some tabs (e.g. KF and my e-mail) on, and some programs running (e.g. a word processor, and perhaps a file manager)--you're right!kewl_glasses

marymary100 - 15-1-2017 at 23:58

Windows have very helpful advice on this

Create a Microsoft account
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
Tap or click Accounts, and then tap or click Other accounts.
Tap or click Add an account.
Enter the account info for this person to sign in to Windows. There are four ways to do this:
If the person you're adding already has a Microsoft account, enter it now.
If the person you're adding doesn't have a Microsoft account, you can use their email address to create one. Enter the email address that person uses most frequently.
If the person you're adding doesn't have an email address, tap or click Sign up for a new email address. It's free.
If the person you're adding is a child, tap or click Add a child's account.
Follow the instructions to finish setting up the account.

Try their website for further information.

LSemmens - 16-1-2017 at 09:20

Thank you mary.

Katzy - 16-1-2017 at 10:23

Log out? (Assuming you need a password to log in).

LSemmens - 16-1-2017 at 23:31

You can also use settings to change your password.

waffler - 17-1-2017 at 16:59

Wow I'm impressed Scholar got win 8 . waggyfinger