Karl`s PC Help Forums

Replacing Adobe flashplayer on my XP machine
scholar - 26-12-2016 at 15:46

I sometimes open a web page and get a message that my Firefox browser is blocking outdated Adobe flashplayer because of its known security issues. This may quickly become an urgent problem, because my e-mail service provider is largely advert-supported, and Firefox has started blocking some flash player content that I think is ads. I fear they will cut me off if their ads don't display.

IIRC, I once tried to update Adobe flash, but my XP machine did not take the update. I think someone here suggested that my machine might not meet minimal specs for the newer version that was offered.

I also think either Katzy or Jmb told me that Adobe flash is no good, anyway.

Can I download another free program, not an Adobe product, that will take over the task? If so, how do I associate it to the task?

When a flash player display is part of a web page, does my computer, or perhaps my browser, give the task to a flashplayer program (like when my computer is set up for a .doc extension to open in Wordpad or Open Office)? Or do modern web pages embed their own display, or perhaps try to connect with Adobe flash instead of leaving that choice to my machine?

LSemmens - 27-12-2016 at 01:02

How critical is it that you see the content? If Flash does not work on a page, I can generally get the idea of what it's about by the accompanying text. Often it not because your flash is outdated, but, theirs.

Quaver - 28-12-2016 at 15:02

Have you tried Chrome?

JackInCT - 28-12-2016 at 22:39

Firefox/Mozilla.org has had a webpage that's been around forever that checks, as the URL (below) states, all your Firefox plugins as to whether they are up to date.

The URL doesn't automatically launch itself whenever a new version of one the plugins becomes available, i. e., you have to remember to launch it at least once a week. If you bookmark it, and put "plugin" in Firefox's address bar, it will show up (in your Firefox browser of course), ready to be launched, and then you're at the Firefox page that has already scanned the status of all your Firefox plugins. Don't be confused that the Firefox plugin webpage checks anything else (such as driver updates).

Some Windows programs have a similar feature. My antivirus gives me a popup window every now and then and tells me which program has an update available (I could likely manually access it somewhere in my antivirus gear without having to wait for it to 'send me' that popup window). Worth paying attn to if one of your installed programs does that.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

As you can see from my embedded image, the only two plugins that I could do a screen capture on re viewing area space, my Flash is up to date; IF it wasn't, the "up to date" text would be replaced by a hot wired text (I can't remember exactly what it says, but its a red font, and something like "update available"); clicking on this text for any of the updates will take you to the update page; in the case of Flash, right to the Adobe page for the download.

I very vaguely seem to recall that if Firefox's Java is out of date, it would tell you that, but you have to find the Java Update subfolder shortcut in the Start Menu listing which should have an entry for Java.

scholar - 29-12-2016 at 00:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Have you tried Chrome?

I think my Chrome has some malware on it. It launches itself from time to time without me ever asking it to do so.

scholar - 29-12-2016 at 01:41

Jack, I was wondering about something like:

http://www.dlsoftware.net/flashplayer

When the computer I was using displayed something prompting me to get a program update from Adobe, it somehow failed.

But perhaps updating my Firefox plug-in through Firefox is exactly what I need to do.

Actually, Firefox has been prompting me to update my Firefox version. Can you tell me--if I go ahead and go to newer Firefox, will the plug-in update as well? That seems a logical approach to me.

JackInCT - 29-12-2016 at 14:06

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
When the computer I was using displayed something prompting me to get a program update from Adobe, it somehow failed.

Actually, Firefox has been prompting me to update my Firefox version. Can you tell me--if I go ahead and go to newer Firefox, will the plug-in update as well? That seems a logical approach to me.

A couple of things: (1) IF a website page tells you that you Flash is out of date, etc., be leery in the extreme that it's a phising ploy, i. e., don't.

(2) it's very odd that you don't allow Firefox (from the browser opening webpage) to automatically update itself. While somewhere in the Mozilla "system" there are release notes that explain what the update does, it seems to me that more often than not it has to do with enhanced security capability; so the sooner the better re doing the update.

As to whether Firefox updates update plugins, etc., I don't think so. Part of the update is a popup screen that scans the installed plug ins (it goes by quick as wink) and determines if all the plugins (if you have any to begin with) are still compatible with latest version, and if it isn't, it disables it, and you have to go back to the plugin add on stuff and see if the plugins author has updated it, and if not, see if another plugin will fill in the gap.

I still think that the Firefox plugin checker URL is the fastest, and safest, way to do the updates for stuff like Flash. Flash is the high on the list of what hackers use to do malicious actions.

I don't think it's prudent to rely exclusively on the antivirus gear to keep your PC out of harms way before, during, and after any/all downloads. Antivirus gear is imperfect.

Katzy - 30-12-2016 at 12:35

I'm not a big fan of Adobe, what with the bloat their stuff has. But, for FlashPlayer, this page seems rather useful.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

JackInCT - 30-12-2016 at 14:03

This morning (12/30/16) my antivirus Software Update feature automatically launched a popup window telling me that my Flash install was out of date.

For no particular reason, I decided that I would check out the Mozilla plugin checker. The end result of that was a window in Firefox that told me that the Flash install was "up to date".

I could have easily resolved the 'conflict/disparity' by simply going to the Adobe/Flash download site and see what the current download version is, compare it to the version in Firefox, etc.,. However I'm feeling quite lazy and didn't bother.

The embedded screen capture image is what my antivirus window states re Flash. Since you are limited to one image per reply, I'm not able to also put up a screen capture of the plugin checker results; I could of course create a 2nd reply with that image embedded, but the laziness factor is unbounded.

By the way, my Avast is a paid subscription version (whose license is for only one install); I have the free version on my other OS installs, but I don't recall if I ever looked if that version has this Software Updater feature.

scholar - 31-12-2016 at 16:30

Quote:
Originally posted by JackInCT
(2) it's very odd that you don't allow Firefox (from the browser opening webpage) to automatically update itself.

When I launch the browser, the opening webpage is the Google search engine.

UNLESS the browser closed abnormally, such as the dreaded interruption without proper closing (e.g. power interruption). Occasionally my programs fail to respond, even though the mouse cursor moves when the mouse moves, and I do not close windows properly. In that case, my Firefox gives me a window that says something like "this is embarrassing" and offers to restore or not restore the tabs on a list, suggesting that I uncheck any tabs that may be to web pages that could have been a problem.

I usually go to the History list and choose "restore previous session" so as to get back several pages I like to have handy--webmail, KF, and weather.

JackInCT - 31-12-2016 at 17:26

scholar - 31-12-2016 at 23:19

I have updated my Adobe flashplayer, as the Firefox plug-in list suggested.

And I updated VLC. (I know, Katzy--the Windows Media Player Classic that you suggested IIRC is less bloaty, but I decided to go with the Firefox suggestion. I don't know if it would have suggested something else if I did not already have VLC on the machine.)

I'm speaking of the older XP machine. I'm moving ahead with the Acer machine in small steps--it's not connected to the internet, yet.