Karl`s PC Help Forums

LSemmens - 27-10-2015 at 07:07

Finally managed to get my media server working in Windoze 10 and now one of my 1TB drives is only reporting it's cache size!!!! Fortunately .........oh "sheet"!!!!! I just realised that apart from a few movies which I can replace was also the raw footage of a couple of the kids weddings and som other videos. Now I am NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!!

Katzy - 27-10-2015 at 10:45

UGH! Recovery Pro? R-Studio?

LSemmens - 27-10-2015 at 11:36

Nothing is telling me anything that I don't already know! Only 31Mb!!!! Even in BIOS!!!!! Tried the WD recovery software given that it's a WD drive and it says everything is fine, except that it only reports 33Mb. A couple of other utils also report 33Mb even though it is a WD10EDS-00M2B0 .

LSemmens - 28-10-2015 at 10:26

I ended up removing the drive from the machine and will plug it into another machine when I get a few moments. I also realised that all my music files are on there, too, which will mean hundreds of hours of re-recording them all, if I can be bothered.

Katzy - 28-10-2015 at 11:21

Backup. ;)

Grandmother -> Eggs, I know...

LSemmens - 28-10-2015 at 23:02

scholar - 29-10-2015 at 00:35

For someone like me, I can back up most of the files I need just by e-mailing them to myself.

But, I don't have the personal videos and music that Leigh has. My files are mostly text documents, and a few programs and pictures.

Katzy - 29-10-2015 at 10:42

I've gone a bit mental, with backing up. I have six drives, Three are SATA and three are huge USB ones. I have all of the SATA drives backed-up to the USB ones. That's three backups.

At first boot, any changes are copied over, using a program called "Second copy". The only drive that doesn't get backed-up is the OS. I s'pose I ought to arrange that, sometime. But, the OS is the only thing on it. All the "program files" are on other drives.

LSemmens - 29-10-2015 at 23:05

I got a "slap on the wrist" from my eldest for not having a backup. Which is fair enough. Fortunately, most of the stuff is stuff that I could live without if I lost it. It's not as though I am running a business and all of my customer and tax records are there. I told my son that I did have a backup - Him! He has the wedding stuff, so if I lose it, I can get it from him again. Not that I have watched any of it in the time that my kids have been married. Even my photos, I would miss those as they are set as my screen savers and desktop backgrounds, but, the world would not end if I lost them. Unfortunately, I have, spread across several computers, approx 5Tb of data that, strictly, should be backed up, Unfortunately, even with the price of components these days, would still cost me good part of $3-400 to have a copy. Something that I can ill afford.

This is my philosophy on life - and all things that I have little control over

Katzy - 30-10-2015 at 10:44

Works for me!

LSemmens - 1-11-2015 at 00:25

I've finally managed to convince XP that the drive is, in fact, 1Tb again. HDD Capacity Restore would not work for me on the system in which it failed but, as I had just retired wifey's XP machine, I played with it in there and Bingo! It still tells me that the partition is inactive and needs to be initialised, but I am on the road to recovery!!!!!

LSemmens - 1-11-2015 at 22:42

I FINALLY have a working 1Tb drive again with, it seems, all my files intact. At least I can see them in Windoze Explorer.

To wrap up
- Apparently Gigabyte Mobos with their BIOS restore have some utility built in that stores a copy of BIOS to the HDD. Because this drive happened to be the first drive in the system even though it was not the boot drive, it was the one chosen for the backup.
- This "backup" can overwrite the Partition table (possibly firmware) so that the device only reports the DOS limit of 32Mb if the the drive is 1TB, if larger it gets truncated to 500Mb (don't know why on that one)
- There is a HDD capacity restore tool (nothing to do with Gigabyte) that can restore the full capacity of drives with a problem such as this.
- Once you have the drive running at full capacity again, you must then recover the data using a partition recovery tool.

Another forum I hang out on, pointed me to HDDguru which got me on the right track.

EOS: If you have a large drive and a Gigabyte mobo. BE wary!!!!

Katzy - 2-11-2015 at 10:25

No chance of just fixing the MBR? I guess the Gigabyte thing negated that. :(

I'm glad my old Biostar doesn't have that... er... feature...

...I hope!

Glad you eventually got it figured, Leigh!

LSemmens - 2-11-2015 at 11:48

I was being ultra cautious in that if I write something to the drive, then I maight corrupt some data. Considering the drive is so large, It would take forever and a day to check every file on it.

Katzy - 2-11-2015 at 14:43

Just forever and a day? :D

LSemmens - 3-11-2015 at 08:20

Only 'cause many of the files are videos. ;)

Katzy - 3-11-2015 at 22:01

BIG files, then...

What phun we have. :D