Karl`s PC Help Forums

ssd hard drive
John Barnes - 19-2-2015 at 11:53

I was running my windows 7 and it was taking ages to start up once started it was okay but as said it was taking ages so I went to CC online in Bradford and bought a Crucial 512 gig solid state drive (no moving platters) and fitted it and then formatted it in disk management and then I used Acronis disk copying to make a clone of it onto my new drive
after a few adjustments it now starts within 20 second
I am well pleased with the increase in performance and it is an all round increase not just the boot time shocked_yellow

Quaver - 19-2-2015 at 12:43

I'd love a SSD drive one of these days:love1)

LSemmens - 20-2-2015 at 00:50

SSDs are an advantage, when I'm rich and famous, I may invest, or wait until prices become more competitive with conventional drives, which should not be too long.

John Barnes - 20-2-2015 at 07:39

Ssd prices as follows 120 gig £43
250 gig =£79
512 gig = £150
1tb =£298
A windows system will run happily on a 120 gig, but to have more swinging room the 250 looks about right. I bought a 512 gig because I save the odd film and video edit occasionally. The 1 Terabyte drive seems overkill but gamers love them.

LSemmens - 20-2-2015 at 09:31

1tb =£298 is my point! I can pick up a 1Tb mechanical drive for around $80 which is roughly £40.

John Barnes - 20-2-2015 at 10:06

Yes I agree, you can pick up a Ford Popular over here for say £250 but a Rolls Royce would be around£250,00, you pay for what you get (caveat emptor)lolshocked_yellow

victor - 20-2-2015 at 13:53

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Yes I agree, you can pick up a Ford Popular over here for say £250 but a Rolls Royce would be around£250,00, you pay for what you get (caveat emptor)lolshocked_yellow

I don't think so Ford

John Barnes - 20-2-2015 at 18:32

Yes Victor but judging by your link you are looking at Modified and concours de-elegance cars not a run of the mill banger. Imo you have taken my meaning totally out of context, thank you shocked_yellow

LSemmens - 20-2-2015 at 23:05

You sound lonely, John. Charles not giving you much canon fodder since MU have fallen off their perch? ;)

LSemmens - 20-2-2015 at 23:09

Actually, John, I just did a quick google search and the average price does seem to be around the mark that Victor posted.

John Barnes - 20-2-2015 at 23:18

Is it so important? any dialogue on here seems to turn to nit picking, it started as a prelude about my ssd drive and turned into a pedants revival meeting

victor - 21-2-2015 at 21:29

Woo hold your horses John, I didn't mean to hit a raw nerve but obviously did and promise never to post again in any topic you start.

John Barnes - 22-2-2015 at 00:39

Your prerogative entirely Victor, or better still I just wont post in future.

scholar - 22-2-2015 at 01:11

Quote:
Is it so important? any dialogue on here seems to turn to nit picking, it started as a prelude about my ssd drive and turned into a pedants revival meeting

Please just brush it off, jmb, we need your posts.

I don't have any extra cash right now, but an SSD sounds great to me.

I think I've read that an OS can load from a USB thumb drive now, which would be similar in principal to your SSD, not so? How modern must one's computer be to do that? Were the older days problems with that based on the BIOS? (Do I remember correctly that the older thumb drives were not accessed until after the early Windows had been put into RAM from the hard drives?)

A little review from you, here, would be like the old days in KF.waveysmiley

John Barnes - 23-2-2015 at 00:01

There is a Microsoft download where you can put a bootable system onto a USB stick, I have done that for a back up and just to see if I could do it and to see if it works --- it does

LSemmens - 23-2-2015 at 03:03

None of this discussion is really important, John. It is just a conversation, which does tend to wander around all over the place. I'd love an SSD, but as I said before, out of my league for now.

Scholar's suggestion is a good one, can we have a review after you've had plenty of time to play with it, pleeeeeze? waveysmiley

scholar - 23-2-2015 at 04:09

Quote:
There is a Microsoft download where you can put a bootable system onto a USB stick, I have done that for a back up and just to see if I could do it and to see if it works --- it does

I seem to recall that on a Windows98SE computer I had, the USB stick did not work until I had run some program so the computer would find it, and the computer would find it each time after getting the instructions to do so from the HDD which also had the OS on it.

How recent must the BIOS be, to have the ability to check for the thumb drive and get the OS from it? Or, does WinXP have the capability built into it, without regard to the BIOS?

LSemmens - 23-2-2015 at 04:18

XP had the capability, but it was early days and the ability to boot was not a product of the OS but that of the BIOS.

Quaver - 23-2-2015 at 11:23

Hubby was saying this morning how slow his laptop is:

Me: People seem to swap the hard disk to SSD these days.
Hubby: The office laptop uses SSD and is amazing.
Me: Why not swap the HDD to SSD?
Hubby: Can you do that?
Me: Yes, it's easily accessible on your laptop (HDD compartment is visible under the laptop, just like my Vaio).
Hubby: How much will it cost?
Me: Depends on the size. 128 may be enough for you (he only browses the internet)
Hubby: How much would that cost?
Me: About £60 I think, not sure.
Hubby: 128... is that megabytes?
Me: GB... rolls_eyes
Hubby: GB! That should be big enough.
Me: rolls_eyes

LSemmens - 23-2-2015 at 12:40

So, are you upgrading him?

Quaver - 23-2-2015 at 12:43

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
So, are you upgrading him?

:D:D:D

scholar - 23-2-2015 at 14:15

My processor is an AMD Athlon 5600+ (I just checked in the Device Manager, which looks different from my years with Win98). Leigh (or someone else, but Leigh was addressing my last question), does that tell you whether this computer could boot from a USB thumb drive? [By which I mean--do computersfrom the time of that processor typically date from a BIOS that could do it?] (Or, I could power down and see if the date on the BIOS displays as it powers up. It used to do so on my computer.)

marymary100 - 23-2-2015 at 19:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

Me: Yes, it's easily accessible on your laptop (HDD compartment is visible under the laptop, just like my Vaio).
Me: Depends on the size. 128 may be enough for you (he only browses the internet)

:D

delanti - 23-2-2015 at 20:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver

Are we not the smooth one?:D

LSemmens - 23-2-2015 at 23:14

Have a look at the BIOS find the section where it says boot and look to see if a USB device is selectable as the first boot device.

John Barnes - 24-2-2015 at 00:26

I only put windows 7 bootable on to a 64 gig USB stick as a back up. forgive me if I am wrong but the Microsoft app (3.5 gig download) for doing this is only available from Windows 7 onwards. But since I have this marvellous programme called Acronis disk clone all I did was after formatting my SSD was to clone my viable system across from my 1 terabyte SATA HDD to my 512gig SSD and it did it so easily and quickly I was astonished on how cloning as come on over the years, (you used to have to jumps through hoops to clone once upon a time) I have never actually tried booting off my USB stick though the programme stated it had installed on the USB stick correctly but it is there for the time when I have bite the bullet and use it I think I will try it on a spare HDD I have jmb

John Barnes - 24-2-2015 at 00:29

just checked it and I am lucky as the system is auto activated so I
will try it shortly

ps there is a half way house solution If the price of a SSd is prohibitive , it is called a hybrid drive this employs flash memory with a bit of SSD thrown in which makes it a lot faster than a vanilla drive. A one terabyte drive by Seagate (very reputable firm)=£64 I don't know what that is in Australian dollars, Leigh would know, At he moment I am booting off the 512 SSD and underneath in another caddy is a 1terabyte HDD I use as a holding disc for any programmes I download or save

LSemmens - 24-2-2015 at 09:40

That sounds much like the solution that I would use, too, John. £64, I would as a rough estimate double, but, as of this moment = $127.56 which, is about what I estimated.

Quaver - 24-2-2015 at 13:22

Quote:
A one terabyte drive by Seagate (very reputable firm)=£64

Sounds brilliantshocked_yellow
Must check that out:comp2)

scholar - 24-2-2015 at 15:56

Jmb, I enjoy reading your computer information posts, especially when you explain a little of what is involved.

When I was doing better financially, I loved to learn how to do a few things to make my computer run better, including buying hardware or using programs that made things more efficient. (WhEN I had an older OS, and defrags and searches took much too long, I was delighted to partition my HDD so that I could fully defrag or search one logical drive instread of waiting, waiting, waiting through a whole-disk operation).

John Barnes - 24-2-2015 at 23:00

Yes but speed apart another thing you don't defrag a SSD like you do a HDD as stores info differently

LSemmens - 25-2-2015 at 00:22

In fact, the reason why defrag for SSDs is not recommended, or, depending on the OS unavailable as they do not suffer from the lag of conventional drives.

If you've got some time, have a read here: This is an MSDN blog about SSD drives very enlightening.