Karl`s PC Help Forums

Should I act on this Avast! warning about a browser add-on
scholar - 1-2-2015 at 18:22

The message box says Microsoft.NET Framework Assistant is a browser add-on which has a bad reputation among Avast users, and asks me if I want to remove it. The box says browser add-ons are sometimes a privacy risk, and can also affect browser performance.

I have not intentionally downloaded or activated anything-on recently.

I am inclined to click the choice which says "Remove Bad Add-on" unless someone here at KF warns me not to.

Katzy - 1-2-2015 at 22:04

https://blog.miproconsulting.com/2009/06/firefox-extension-ms

scholar - 1-2-2015 at 23:40

thankingyou

scholar - 1-2-2015 at 23:45

Katzy's link says that the option in the Firefox browser to uninstall the add-on is disabled, and it is difficult to do manually (that is, it involves the registry, in which a mistake can cause great harm).

I could try to uninstall the add-on from what is in Katzy's site, or I can tell my free Avast! to proceed to do it.

I am inclined to trust Avast! The box offering to do so is still up.

scholar - 2-2-2015 at 02:25

I used Avast! to remove the add-on. I haven't verified it, though.

LSemmens - 2-2-2015 at 09:41

Strangely enough, scholar, I just investigated my FF add ons, and did not find anything related to M$.NET, yet I use the .NET framework on my machine. I wonder if you tend to click on stuff, just because it "looks" useful.

Katzy - 2-2-2015 at 17:29

I checked mine, too. Not there. :)

scholar - 3-2-2015 at 01:04

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Strangely enough, scholar, I just investigated my FF add ons, and did not find anything related to M$.NET, yet I use the .NET framework on my machine. I wonder if you tend to click on stuff, just because it "looks" useful.

No, I am inclined to take on fewer burdens, because the machine I am using (Ruby's) is faster than the one I had been using when I had a telephone modem, but it is still not very fast.

I have been told to watch out for tool-bar add-ons, especially.