Karl`s PC Help Forums

Fishy e-mail
scholar - 30-1-2015 at 20:01

I got an e-mail, listed as from someone I know (in my e-mail address book), that has a link to a document file supposedly held for me and others to view by Google.

When I clicked on the link, it opened a page in my browser that said I must enter a valid e-mail address to get access to the document.

AND IT ASKS FOR MY E-MAIL PASSWORD!

I might have entered my e-mail address, alone--the original e-mail addressed to me had it in the address line--but, my password? C'mon! wooty

Is anyone familiar with this scam?

(You aren't going to tell me it is legit, are you?)

The address line in my browser for the page is

http://googlefilresdes.bugs3.com/GoogleDO.php

but I'm not suggesting that anyone go there unless they feel well protected. Once I saw what I thought to be a suspicious request for information, I did nothing else.

waffler - 30-1-2015 at 22:43

Google is NOT your Friend lips_sealed

marymary100 - 30-1-2015 at 23:06

Are you sure it is asking for that password and not just for you to create a password to be a recognisable editor of the document?

Google Docs are a well known method for colleagues to work remotely on the same document without the need to be in the same room. Academics use them often.

http://www.google.co.uk/docs/about/

LSemmens - 31-1-2015 at 01:30

Is this the page to which you refer????

It is asking you to create a password! When in doubt READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

marymary100 - 31-1-2015 at 11:01

:D

Katzy - 31-1-2015 at 12:31

[bad img]http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/doh.gif[/bad img]

scholar - 31-1-2015 at 18:34

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Is this the page to which you refer????

It is asking you to create a password! When in doubt READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

The page which appears to me does not display what you picture.

The page I get says "To access our online secured documents page,you are required to login your email address.
Unauthorized Access is prohibited." And, it gives two text boxes, one of which is labeled "Email address" and the other is labeled "Email password." The headline above them says "Sign in with valid email to view your Google document."

There is nothing, anywhere, about creating an email account or password. When the heading says "valid email," it sounds to me as if it requires that you already have an account.

Since I was suspicious, I did not put anything in the text boxes. Perhaps Google assumes that anyone who is trying to access one of these documents would already have a gmail account.

Now that I have been encouraged to think this is legit, I might explore further.

The name that appeared as the source of the document is a man who moved from my area a couple of years ago, and the email address I had for him in my address book was attached to a local ISP. But, as I look closely at the header information, this is from a gmail account.

LSemmens - 31-1-2015 at 23:47

You could always e-mail him at a known good address and ask if he sent you anything.

Katzy - 1-2-2015 at 12:06

Well, the link you gave made my anti-virus go apeshit. Phishing...

scholar - 1-2-2015 at 18:56

I have gotten an e-mail from the fellow, saying, "If you received an e-mail from me with an attachment, don't open it."

So, it appears Katzy is right.

And, those of you with knowledge of sharing documents through Google-- that knowledge must be what makes the idea plausible enough that some people might let out information.

So, it is sorted.

marymary100 - 1-2-2015 at 19:26

But it wouldn't work with people who already do that.

scholar - 1-2-2015 at 23:48

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
But it wouldn't work with people who already do that.

That makes sense. It would only work on someone who had merely heard of Google document sharing, but who had never used it. Or, possibly, on someone like myself who had no knowledge of it, if they were less cautious than I am.