Karl`s PC Help Forums

Long Story :PC now won't boot!
LSemmens - 3-1-2015 at 13:08

[RANT mode] I thought I'd finally tidy up my media server PC. It is built into a shelf on a bookshelf in the Lounge room. To make it fit into the shelf I had to mount the Mobo on an angle with the various peripherals sitting along side it. I intially mounted the DVD drive inside the "drawer" (so I can get to the various connectors etc.) but, given its location, was impractical and noisy as hell). I thought I'd use today, because it was so hot outside to fix this by a) remounting the mobo a little more solidly and b)mounting a new Blu-Ray drive in the front of the "drawer". From there it's all been downhill!!!!!![/RANT]

Now to the problem, to secure everything I had to remove the MOBO and it's mounting (a section of an old case that I cannibalised) to remount the stand. I also had to cut a hole in the "drawer" face to mount the drive. So far, so good, all went swimmingly until I went to put the drawer back into place. I had mounted the MOBO 1mm too high, so I could not shut the drawer. I pull the whole assembly apart again to move it down, so far, so good. I plug everything back in again and then my troubles start!!! The bloody system booted, but Windoze swore at me and wanted to perform a startup repair, after that! SFA! It powered down and would not power up again. I swapped PSUs and the thing still wouldn't power up, nada, zip. Surely I didn't stuff the MOBO! Anyway, I replaced the MOBO (GA770 - UD3) with an ASUS (P5QL-EPU). I can, now, at least, see power! Doesn't matter which PSU I use the bloody thing won't POST! It powers up and then promply shuts down in a never ending cycle, no beeps, no nothing. I even decided to force it to fail by unplugging all RAM and every Drive (all 9 of them!) What gives me the s***s is that the bloody thing was working nicely before I decided to "improve" it!

Can anyone suggest anything? I suppose, I should replace the Video Card as that's the only component that hasn't changed, bit it doesn't even get that far.

Katzy - 3-1-2015 at 18:12

The 24pin connector and the 8pin power connector are both connected?

Fan spinning?

Do you have the flat, 4-pin plug, to connect to the EZ thingy on the PSU? Some, like mine, need that extra connection to the GFX card. Although, that will usually let you get past POST, at least. Should even boot, but with inferior graphics.

John Barnes - 4-1-2015 at 00:42

I know this may sound weird but with moving things, the old paste seal between the heat sink and the processor may only be making intermittent contact and as fast as you boot up it cuts out with heat not being dispersed also reseat your memory chips, as Katzy says it a matter of try everything methodically, if worse comes to worse will you be able to boot from your system cd?. and horrors on horror, reinstall , as you know diagnosing from 12 000 miles away is just a shot in the dark.
Usually there are pins on the mother board where you can disconnect them and put them on to the pair next to them for a few seconds this is called flushing or clearing the CMOS to return your board back to default
power off system set jbat1 pin to 1-2 closed
after 2-3 seconds return J bat 1pin to pin 2-3 closed
Cmos data is returned to default NEVER clear Cmos when system power is on hope this helps jmb

LSemmens - 4-1-2015 at 00:45

I whish it were that simple. I've now swapped out the video card and, surprise, surprise, I actually got BIOS. Happy me, for a moment. Powered off and re-installed all RAM, and went back to round and round in circles. Pulled all the RAM and I get Post Beeps, Tried the old video card and no go. So "new" card goes back in with the One stick of RAM, It now powers up but does not even get to POST. Tried every stick individually and same problem. Tried matched pairs and same same. Aaaaargh!!!

The entire system has been replaced with one that was working (in a case) only last week! The stuff that got swapped out was all working right up until I powered it off the modify it's "case". Go Figure!!!!!!

John Barnes - 4-1-2015 at 01:11

did you clear the CMOS

I know I am not telling my gran to suck eggs Leigh but a hard drive configured on a mother board wont work on a different one (one of Microsoft's 10 strings to stop piracy ) jmb

LSemmens - 4-1-2015 at 01:32

I'm aware of that John, but The bloody HDD doesn't even come into the picture yet, because I don't even get past POST!!!

John Barnes - 4-1-2015 at 06:34

type your questions on booting up in Google it may give you some insight to help jmb let me know how you get on good luck jmb

LSemmens - 4-1-2015 at 10:03

Google was precious little help, only suggesting what I had already done. Anyway, I pulled everything out of its "case" and set it up on the benchtop and the bloody thing started working! Swapped bits with all the "faulty" components and could not fail it!! Put the whole lot back where it belongs and guess what?

The f'n thing works!!!! I ain't complaining, but am frustrated as I just wasted 2 days on what should have been a simple, five minute job! So, end result Working 'puter with an easily accesible Optical drive which was upgraded to Blu Ray in the process.

Finished Product!
[bad img]http://s30.postimg.org/oz1jism9p/comp5.jpg[/badimg]

Katzy - 4-1-2015 at 12:31

Gotta just lurve computers.

Take over the world? HA! :D

John Barnes - 4-1-2015 at 15:24

Just wonder if for some reason with being moved the board was earthing (grounding) itself that's why they have standoffs when we fit mobos and you automatically fixed the earthing (grounding) problem when you disassembled it and rectified the fault auto fixed it when assembling it back, ( just a thought) anyhow pleased your up and running again ah life is sweet when all goes well .jmb

ps as our friend Katzy remarked just lurve computers haha

LSemmens - 5-1-2015 at 23:44

The base to which is was mounted has bult in stand-offs. I could accept that one time I had managed to inadvertantly earth a component, but not after removing and installing two mobos whish displayed identical symptoms. And both components then "magically" start to work again. I just wish that I could identitfy where the cause was as, even if the Mobo was installed slightly off square, there is no evidence that it could earth anywhere around the stand offs.

John Barnes - 6-1-2015 at 01:17

It was only a conjecture from 12000 miles away lol

LSemmens - 6-1-2015 at 09:08

I know, John, it's always hard to diagnose an issue by remote control.
Here's a couple of the innards of the beastie.

[bad img]http://s8.postimg.org/qj26gox8h/comp1.jpg[/badimg]

[bad img]http://s8.postimg.org/cbchs1kjl/comp2.jpg[/badimg]