Karl`s PC Help Forums

Recovery Management
frojas - 28-12-2014 at 21:52

Happy Holidays to all of you! it has elapsed quite bit of time since my last participation but I am here back again because you are the best source of information to asisst people with computer concerns.
My problem is: Acer Aspire One, WinXP notebook. I have being totally unsuccessful in finding a place to download the software to reinstall the Recovery Management.

If further info is necesary for your reaction, please let me know.

Thank you for your kind assistance

Federico

Dreamweaver - 28-12-2014 at 21:57

Quote:
Originally posted by frojas
Happy Holidays to all of you! it has elapsed quite bit of time since my last participation but I am here back again because you are the best source of information to asisst people with computer concerns.
My problem is: Acer Aspire One, WinXP notebook. I have being totally unsuccessful in finding a place to download the software to reinstall the Recovery Management.

Federico

Moved to PC help x

marymary100 - 29-12-2014 at 00:32

Quote:

Federico

I don't have such an old system but you might want to look at this clip if you want to go back to factory settings in the meantime whilst you wait for someone else. Youtube

(Basically ALT + F10)

LSemmens - 29-12-2014 at 02:02

Typically, Acers have a hidden recovery partition with which you can make a set of recovery disks. Have a look through the menu and look for something like Acer Recovery or system backup, software.

JackInCT - 29-12-2014 at 21:34

Once upon a time, long, long ago, ACER tech support was only too glad to try and SELL me a recovery disk (I don't remember what they wanted for it/them [don't recall how many disks were involved] in terms of coin of the realm).

frojas - 30-12-2014 at 00:41

Hello dear friends,

Thank you very much for your comments, my reaction to the above follows: my computer for one or other reason does not have the Recovery Management partition, so I need the disks. Furthermore, I have being unsuccessful with Acer support, I do not mind to pay a decent price for the recovery disks, the question where to get them?.

Federico

JackInCT - 30-12-2014 at 03:08

Quote:
Hello dear friends,

Thank you very much for your comments, my reaction to the above follows: my computer for one or other reason does not have the Recovery Management partition, so I need the disks. Furthermore, I have being unsuccessful with Acer support, I do not mind to pay a decent price for the recovery disks, the question where to get them?.

Federico

My experience with Acer tech support was with a laptop running XP Professional. I find it hard to fathom why they no longer offer to sell a set of recovery disks, since one scenario would be a defunct HD that cannot be resurrected for love or money. Why don't you give them another call + send an email and specifically ask whether they sell a recovery disk(s); my point of course is likely based on that you are the original owner (and registered owner) for your machine (but if you're NOT, plan ahead with a plausible fairly tale as to how you wound up with their machine). My reasoning re both a phone call AND an email is that you never really know anything about the expertise of whoever you wind up speaking with when you call in. I certainly would NEVER EVER presume that they are all technically equal re their knowledge.

LSemmens - 30-12-2014 at 07:22

You can use any windows media install disk (suitable for the hardware, of course; i.e. if it was designed for XP, don't expect to run W8.) to install onto your machine (I've even managed to install W7 from a USB key - which works brilliantly BTW). Once that is done, you may need some vendor specific drivers to make the rest work. Sometimes you can get them all from (in your case) the ACER website, or, if worst comes to worst, you'll need to look at the chipset manufacturers sites for the others. Or....you could ditch Windoze all together and go with a Linux Distro.

marymary100 - 30-12-2014 at 10:42

Depends whether he wants to make it work as if new or whether he is trying to recover stored files.

Katzy - 30-12-2014 at 11:57

If you can get hold of a copy of the XP install disk, maybe this old trick would help?

http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=45522#pid454441

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/189400897

JackInCT - 30-12-2014 at 15:36

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
....you could ditch Windoze all together and go with a Linux Distro.

Be VERY careful 'what you wish for'. I will update my previous topic re Linux early next week; I've downloaded 6 distros and little by little (on & off again time wise), I've test driven them. My experiences are far from positive, and CERTAINLY not for the faint of heart, especially ANYONE with time constraints. Bottom Line (To This Point): I will put down on 'paper' words that I thought that I would NEVER EVER utter: I have a newfound appreciation for WINDOWS--gasp, I've become a heretic.

LSemmens - 30-12-2014 at 23:53

Don't give up on it.

waffler - 31-12-2014 at 04:54

I have a Genuine Win XP Pro disc with serial never been used your s if you want it :)