Karl`s PC Help Forums

Scheduled Time PC Auto Shutdown Problem
JackInCT - 20-11-2014 at 15:55

This is a post re how to automatically (unattended) shut down, at a user configured predetermined time, AND in doing so, automatically close any open (unsaved) files [which entails SAVING any open files in order to shut down].

Various Win OS versions have a "Task Scheduler" 'feature' [I have Win 7]; mine doesn't work, and as per a Google search, it's a very common problem and good old MS, while having many support type responses to queries, has 'fixes' that don't work, and complaints from end users that they don't, which only results in more of the same from MS.

There are 3rd party auto shutdown programs (both free and for a fee-the fee ones are very elaborate, multiple features gear).

I have found a free auto shutdown that works just fine, but there is a problem IF/WHEN I have an open file that I have not saved, i. e., as is typical for just about all software, if you have an open/unsaved file, when you attempt to close its program, you get a popup window asking you if you wish to save the work; so if you're NOT there to respond to this popup window, nothing is going to happen at auto shutdown time (you get the shutdown screen and the shutdown process ceases to continue).

Also it does not appear that any of the free 3rd party software offer such a feature, nor does any of the fee ones (the fee ones that I've looked at don't come right out and say in their feature list that their program will save opened files).

So has anyone ever figured out how to work this task out?

LSemmens - 21-11-2014 at 04:14

Whilst I can identify with your issue, the problem being that there are so many different programs on the market and, whilst many do remind you to save your work, they may do it in a different way, so the hook that works for, say word, may not work for wordperfect. There are, of course methods of killing apps, but that does not allow an "autosave" option. The question I might ask is, why do you need an autoshutdown? When you've finished for the day, is your time so precious that you cannot wait another minute to shut down? Autostart I can understand, but shutdown? Unless you are using it for a media centre and using it to record on a schedule, then dialog boxes, again, should not be an issue.

Katzy - 21-11-2014 at 12:09

There's a program known as PTFB.

If you train that to react to such requesters, I'd assume that'd work.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ptfb_(push_the_freakin_button).html

JackInCT - 21-11-2014 at 14:44

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Unless you are using it for a media centre and using it to record on a schedule, then dialog boxes, again, should not be an issue.

YES, I have a favorite Internet radio music streaming program that I would like to record since it comes on nighty at just about my usual bedtime (and by the time it ends, it's way past my bedtime); starting up my audio recording software is not the problem since I'm still up, but it doesn't have an autosave feature [the duration of the recording can be programmed] which IF I could find such a program would solve the problem. So being able to record it would give me the opportunity to listen to it the next day, delete it when finished, and start anew.

JackInCT - 21-11-2014 at 15:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy

If you train that to react to such requesters, I'd assume that'd work.

Hi, sounds like it's well worth the effort to see if it can work; I'm on it, and will post what happens. Cheers.

Katzy - 22-11-2014 at 15:13

Pleasure! :D

JackInCT - 22-11-2014 at 17:07

Quote:

No joy. The major geeks link gave me problems (for unknown reasons), but I found it via a Google search. I couldn't get it to work maybe because I have Win 7 and the program is so old that it hasn't been updated to work with Win 7. Also I couldn't try the Compatability tab in Win 7 since I couldn't figure out how to get a Properties tab. There is a Pro version for this program (and it has a free 30 day trial), but the cost is $40 (USA coin).

It was worth a try.

Katzy - 22-11-2014 at 17:23

I have W7 and it works, perfectly, without any fiddling with compatibility. I have the Pro version, too. The freebie's better, as far as I'm concerned. :)

In what way does it not work?

JackInCT - 22-11-2014 at 20:48

Quote:

In what way does it not work?

When installed it does show up in the system tray. Then I ran a quick 'test' using the audio recorder, created a short recording and then I proceed to manually close out the program; when the popup dialog window appeared (which asked me if I wanted to save the file [a save or cancel button], I began clicking on the dialog window (and multiple places on it), and tried both left and right mouse button, AND when that didn't do anything, I clicked on the icon in sys tray (also called the task bar I think), went back up to the dialog window right away, clicked in multiple places all over again, and that didn't do anything either. At that point I ran out of ideas as to what to try next, and I gave up.

LSemmens - 23-11-2014 at 01:55

What about something like autoit which sends keys to the program. If you schedule it to run at the end of the program followed by auto shut down afterwards, that might do the trick.

Katzy - 23-11-2014 at 10:58

Try creating a shortcut and moving it to the "Startup" directory...

JackInCT - 23-11-2014 at 17:02

OK, I'm onto the last two posts re trying them.