Karl`s PC Help Forums

I could use a download manager in Windows XP
scholar - 12-10-2014 at 21:06

I am wishing to download some tax form files from a US government sight, and it looks as if a download manager would help me. (When I click on the document form, it opens a browser window that looks as if it is going to display the pdf file, but nothing appears.) I am using a Firefox browser.

Is there something made to add to Firefox for downloading files?

Can someone recommend a download manager that works well in Windows XP using a Firefox browser?

marymary100 - 12-10-2014 at 21:29

Didn't you say Ruby used a different browser? Chrome would probably work well even with XP.

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 21:46

Ruby uses Opera.

We had some problems with Chrome, as if some malware had attached itself. (I think Ruby has accepted suggestions for add-on toolbars, etc. that proved a problem.)

But, what does Chrome have to do with my need for help with downloading pdf tax forms?

John Barnes - 12-10-2014 at 22:10

I download with Utorrent it works in both 7 and XP

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 22:12

Mr. Barnes, I see you on the members-online list. Will you help me?

I used to use Net Vampire with Windows98. Is that an available, workable choice for WinXP, do you know? Or, do you have another recommendation?

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 22:12

You and I were typing at the same time!;):D

marymary100 - 12-10-2014 at 22:14

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

But, what does Chrome have to do with my need for help with downloading pdf tax forms?
You would be able to see the documents which was what you seemed to want to do but go ahead with your preferred option.

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 22:15

I am here: http://www.freenew.net/windows/utorrent/68631.htm

Which version do I want?

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 22:22

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Quote:

You would be able to see the documents which was what you seemed to want to do but go ahead with your preferred option.

Oh.
I wanted to download the documents to my hard drive, and I wish to be able to read them apart from the browser and fill them in, save them, and print them so I can hand them in to the government.

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 23:14

Uh-oh.

I have utorrent running now.

There is a sort of panel on the left where one can see Bundles, Upgrade to Plus, Torrents, Feeds, and Devices.

I used to copy a document link or image link to my download manager, and it would download the file, of whichever type it was. I don't know about Bundles, Torrents, or Feeds.confused2confused2

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 23:19

I just returned to the tab in the Firefox browser which appeared to be set up to display a pdf, but wasn't showing anything. It appears the file does display after it finishes coming to my computer. But, I need to be able to save it and write onto it--if I can figure out how.

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 23:30

When a pdf document displays in the browser, Firefox is displaying at the top of the page: "This PDF document contains forms. The filling of form fields is not supported."

I hope that only means you can't fill them in with Firefox. I was kind of counting on being able to fill them in using Adobe Acrobat.

marymary100 - 12-10-2014 at 23:31

Usually you can't amend a PDF unless you have PDF Pro or it has open boxes as part of the doc. You can usually copy and paste the text into a Word type file as an alternative. It would be odd for your Government to make a form which could only be used for printing off and handwriting on, but then again maybe that cuts down on fraud?

marymary100 - 12-10-2014 at 23:33

Quote:
When a pdf document displays in the browser, Firefox is displaying at the top of the page: "This PDF document contains forms. The filling of form fields is not supported."

I hope that only means you can't fill them in with Firefox. I was kind of counting on being able to fill them in using Adobe Acrobat.

Ah. if it's a field you can write on it in a different browser. It will definitely work on IE and probably on Chrome as well. As to the lesser browsers, I have no idea.

scholar - 12-10-2014 at 23:37

In previous years, I was able to type my appropriate figures into the fields. The only part I needed to do in handwriting was my signature.

But, in previous years, I saved the files to the hard drive first, and worked with them in Acrobat or Foxit. I was not looking at them in a browser window.

marymary100 - 12-10-2014 at 23:41

If it's not supported, it's not supported. It might be because you are holding on to XP which is no longer supported by MS and therefore not included any more on government documentation.

scholar - 13-10-2014 at 00:52

I have downloaded the forms I need onto my hard drive. Adobe Acrobat says I should be able to type into the documents.

marymary100 - 13-10-2014 at 01:09

So everything's hunky dory then?

LSemmens - 13-10-2014 at 02:24

Some PDF files take forever to download into your browser, patience, young grasshopper, patience. Once opened in your browser, there will be a method of saving it. just look for it.

scholar - 13-10-2014 at 05:38

Quote:
So everything's hunky dory then?

No, I haven't actually managed to get it to accept the numbers and text, and save them, yet.

scholar - 13-10-2014 at 05:58

:(Well, I have utorrent, and don't know how to use it to download any file.

The pdf files I have saved are ones where my browser gave me the option "Save link as. . ." If the link leads to a web page instead of an individual file, I can't get anything.

marymary100 - 13-10-2014 at 09:25

If you've saved it to your desktop it must be an XP problem.

LSemmens - 13-10-2014 at 11:29

uTorrent is only a client, like Opera of Firefox. You will need to ensure that the site in question has a torrent available. As Mary said, if you've saved the file to your desktop, all you need do is find a program to open it, like Acrobat.

Katzy - 13-10-2014 at 12:05

https://www.pdfescape.com

Probably not wise, though, if the document contains private stuff.

https://www.cutepdf-editor.com is pretty good, if you want to keep it off the net.

John Barnes - 13-10-2014 at 14:22

Quote:
Mr. Barnes, I see you on the members-online list. Will you help me?

I used to use Net Vampire with Windows98. Is that an available, workable choice for WinXP, do you know? Or, do you have another recommendation?

Sorry Scholar I have never heard of Net vampire If I download music or a film I use UTorrent if I want to a word file I open it and copy and paste and then save It to where I need it, I am more au fait with the innards and the hard ware and building a computer than various programmes that other people use. Bit comet will download but you are stymied by your modem speed Where I can download a film in about 3 minutes your modem limits you to about 10k if I remember correctly. My Office which I use rarely is Office 2013, and of that it is Word I use, if you are competent there are ways of getting nearly anything you want or need on the Internet Mary or Leigh may be better than I am in this case
thanks for your misplaced confidence in me Good luck jmb

ps Is windows 98 the system Noah used to navigate his ark with? LOL. I am just waiting to get my hands on the new windows 10, so as I say good luckwaveysmiley

John Barnes - 13-10-2014 at 14:29

Net Vampire -4 can be used in Xp but it is very old last version is 10 years old

delanti - 14-10-2014 at 01:51

I tried getting a PDF file from the IRS site and have the same problem as Scholar with my Win8. I don't know if I have filled in forms on this PC but have on my old one. Not sure what the difference is. Will have to do some fiddling around and see what I can do.confused2

LSemmens - 14-10-2014 at 10:47

IIRC, Open Orifice will open PDFs.

marymary100 - 14-10-2014 at 10:49

Why not call the IRS? If it's a problem two of you have encountered on different systems, the problem may be a technical one their end.

delanti - 15-10-2014 at 01:27

First make sure Acrobat plug in is active in FF. At IRS site right click the file you want and save link to desktop. Then open desktop file, it worked ok for me that way.waveysmiley

IRS explanations for PDF forms. Here

scholar - 18-10-2014 at 22:55

I got each tax file and form needed, and managed to fill out every one and got them sent off on time.

For my Illinois income taxes, the amount the employers withheld was exactly what I owed, to the dollar--so, I did not have to pay in any more, nor did I get a refund.

However, my federal income taxes were another matter. In the last tax year, the company I worked for was purchased by a larger company, so I had two incomes--one from the former company, and another from the new owner.

Since each of them withheld income taxes as if they were the only employer, and since smaller amounts are withheld on smaller incomes, I wound up owing hundreds of dollars more than had been withheld. So, I had to send in a check to cover the gap. And, I added some more dollars to cover six months of interest, since I had not paid the full amount by April 15.

It is much more common for employers to withhold more than is owed, with the result that the employee gets a tax refund of the difference at the end of the year.

delanti - 19-10-2014 at 23:27

You know you can have more withheld by increasing the number of dependents on your W4 form. Did you add Ruby when you got married?waveysmiley

IRS witholding calc.

scholar - 22-10-2014 at 21:33

Since I owe back federal taxes, everything I would get as a refund instead gets designated as a payment toward what I owe.

marymary100 - 23-10-2014 at 06:15

scholar, you have multiple degrees according to you and a house with no mortgage. How could you end up owing money to so many people - especially people who would not write off the debts.

I know you've probably lived by Philippians 4:19, Malachi 3:10, 1 Timothy 6:10 and Acts 20:35 but perhaps Proverbs 22:7 and Romans 13:8 should have been uppermost.

scholar - 23-10-2014 at 09:24

Quote:
How could you end up owing money to so many people - especially people who would not write off the debts.

In my first marriage, I gave my paycheck to my wife, and she was to pay the taxes and household expenses out of it. Sadly, she did not pay the full tax amounts.

She promised to pay those amounts in our divorce settlement, but she has failed to do so.

In my present situation, I often tell Ruby we cannot afford things she wants to do--and, she often does them anyway.:(

scholar - 26-10-2014 at 14:04

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Net Vampire -4 can be used in Xp but it is very old last version is 10 years old

Since I have no knowledge of how to use uTorrent, I tried to download Netvampire 4.0, but the netvampire.com website is gone. It may be that the program would work for me for unsplit files, but I would need to get it from somewhere that archived their own copies, instead of linking to the original site.

Or, I could get another simple downloader, if uTorrent won't do the job for me.

LSemmens - 27-10-2014 at 00:50

All you need do is click on a torrent link, and, if you haven't stuffed with the settings in uTorrent, if will do the rest.

John Barnes - 27-10-2014 at 00:53

Scholar UTorrent is about the easiest downloader there is. what you need is a down load site I don't know if I can say one on here, and click what you are after it will download via uTorrent and make a download folder and your content file will download. if its a film you will need a converter programme to use on a standalone video recorder where as music can be burned using Nero if you u2u me I will give you some sites . also films in the US use the ntsc file and nor pal as in Europe. jmb

ps- you will need a fast download speed if you download large files a 700mb file would download in about 5 minutes. a 4 gig download will take about 25 minutes that's on a 12 meg download speed etc try http://www, bit comet as an alternative
jmb

here is the download site for net vampire but I don't know much if its up and running ---- net-vampire.software.informer.com copy and paste into Google

scholar - 29-10-2014 at 00:54

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
All you need do is click on a torrent link, and, if you haven't stuffed with the settings in uTorrent, if will do the rest.

Most of the files I wish to download are things like a pdf file of a manual for a universal remote control, or a tax form pdf, or pages of .doc files of something someone has written, or a picture.

I have never seen a torrent link.

scholar - 29-10-2014 at 00:59

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Scholar UTorrent is about the easiest downloader there is. what you need is a down load site I don't know if I can say one on here, and click what you are after it will download via uTorrent and make a download folder and your content file will download. if its a film you will need a converter programme to use on a standalone video recorder where as music can be burned using Nero if you u2u me I will give you some sites . also films in the US use the ntsc file and nor pal as in Europe. jmb

My u2u is past 200, so I will have to go through them to find some things to delete.

I have held on to happy memory messages from people who are no longer posting here.

LSemmens - 29-10-2014 at 03:27

If they are pdfs, or docs then uTorrent isn't going to help you.

With any of the aforementioned files, once they are displayed on screen there is usually a method as part of the viewer to save the file.

scholar - 30-10-2014 at 00:20

Netvampire used to manage my downloads for me. I could copy a link into it to a file I wanted to download, and it would add it to the list. If I wanted it to download one file at a time from the list, it would do so. If a download was interrupted, Netvampire would resume the download, if the site allowed it. If I wanted to set the downloading to start later (say, late at night, when there might be fewer people using the site), I could do so, and it would start at that hour.

Katzy - 30-10-2014 at 20:57

I've kinda lost track, with this...

This any use?

http://www.flashget.com/index_en.html