Karl`s PC Help Forums

Replacing hard drive in lappy
Redwolf5150 - 4-10-2014 at 15:01

Jackie's lappy, a Gateway running WIN 7, has what I suspect is a failing hard drive. The drive in it is a 500GB and I bought a 320 to replace it. Ran the recovery disks we made for the machine and it runs through the entire process then we get the error message that cannot complete the recovery with the current hardware set up.

Do I HAVE to replace the drive with the same size one in order to use the recovery disks?

waffler - 4-10-2014 at 16:10

you can use any size hd :)

waffler - 4-10-2014 at 16:13

google is your friend

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34174-63-recovery-error-windows-setup-configure-windows

Normally I will install fresh os on new hd and put on saved files off old hd lot easier :):)

Redwolf5150 - 4-10-2014 at 18:19

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler

Normally I will install fresh os on new hd and put on saved files off old hd lot easier :):)

Didn't get the option with this machine. No disks came with it. You were STRONGLY encouraged to make a set of recovery disks in case of such an emergency as this.

waffler - 4-10-2014 at 23:10

hd should have recovery prog on it try hitting f4 or f5 when booting

waffler - 4-10-2014 at 23:12

The way to restore Gateways is to hold down the ALT Key and repeatedly hitting f10 then it should bring you to a boot sequence screen then choose the HDD and then hold down ALT and repeatedly hit f10 again that should promt the restore feature for gateway. If that doesnt work the only way to do it is to boot into windows and run the eRecovery program.

Redwolf5150 - 5-10-2014 at 00:04

It would boot straight into recovery with the first of two disks in the drive.

Had to go with the second method -- edit bios -- because it never gave me the chance to install the new driver.

Once I get it stable, I'll update to SVC Pack 1 and THEN make a new set of recovery disks, which will solve the problem if I ever have to do this again.

Seems to be finishing recovery now that I did the tweak in bios.

LSemmens - 5-10-2014 at 02:06

Replacing a hard disk will naturally destroy any chance of using the recovery partition. You must use a Disk based recovery. I've taken to making USB recovery media Which does make things a little easier to customise the process.

waffler - 6-10-2014 at 11:34

Hey wolfy you got it up n runnin:)

Redwolf5150 - 6-10-2014 at 12:26

Yup.
Just went into the bios and changed the drive type and it finished the install like a champ.
Even did all the updates after I fired it up again and connected to the home wireless network.