Karl`s PC Help Forums

Ad Blocker in IE11
Sparry - 25-9-2014 at 19:14

Is there an Ad Blocker in IE11? If so, I would like to turn it off for a particular site. Can anyone explain how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Katzy - 25-9-2014 at 19:58

Not by default. There's a pop-up blocker, though. You can configure it from the "Tools" menu.

JackInCT - 25-9-2014 at 21:08

In the FYI column: there is free software called "Adblock Plus" at the following URL--https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/

I've used it for several years (in IE and Firefox) and it is available for a number of different browsers. I wouldn't, technically speaking, call it a bona fide full blown ad blocker, but it certainly does block websites from knowing more about your surfing habits than you care for them to know (and I certainly wouldn't presume that it's perfect or creates the equivalent of "private browsing" [and similar terminology in other browsers]). At the level of wishful thinking I hope it adds another level of privacy when you use private browsing.

A copy and paste from the homepage of their website states:

The EasyList subscriptions are lists of filters designed for Adblock Plus that automatically remove unwanted content from the internet, including annoying adverts, bothersome banners and troublesome tracking. The subscriptions are currently maintained by four authors, Fanboy, MonztA, Famlam and Khrin, who are ably assisted by an ample forum community.

The links listed below allow you to select subscriptions for use in your browser provided that you are using the Firefox add-on Adblock Plus, the Chrome equivalent Adblock Plus for Chrome or the Opera equivalent Adblock Plus for Opera. Furthermore, EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List is available for Internet Explorer 9 and higher. [end quote]

I especially like a free program called "Ghostery" for Firefox since it 'kills' the trackers (and you can see what they are via a momentary pop up window when you land on a any webpage) that you face on websites (including this one), but which also can be turned 'on' [individually] if you needone of the tracker to access 'content' [and you certainly aren't going to circumvent using cookies using this software]. For some reason the developers of Ghostery have not come out with a version for IE 11 (but there is one for previous IE versions).

IMO the one and only way that you can EVER begin to 'enjoy' 'anonymous surfing' is to use a site/service that does that, and I certainly wouldn't presume that they're perfect. Big Brother [and not just governments either] is hard at work FULL TIME trying, by one means or another, to find out as much about you as they can, employing every digital 'trick' known to man.

LSemmens - 26-9-2014 at 01:06

Good info, Jack, although he wants to turn it off. I Can't help, though, as I use FF.

JackInCT - 26-9-2014 at 13:55

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Good info, Jack, although he wants to turn it off. I Can't help, though, as I use FF.

The aforementioned software has a whitelist tab and/or a means to turn either one off on any specific webpage.

For you paranoid types the attached image file shows Ghostery's digital trackers for CNN's USA homepage (there are various CNN editions for foreign consumption so they might have different trackers). It's your guess why they would need 9 trackers, BUT each of those trackers has their own website which explain their mercantile purpose. And of course it costs (CNN I presume, but maybe they pay CNN) to use them. And I think it's a safe bet that each of those trackers sell their 'findings' to whoever wants to buy them. I've often wondered if these trackers can use MAC addresses to "stich" together an individual's surfing (at least for those websites that use the same tracker), even when you surf with cookies turned off. Anyone know if that can be done?