Karl`s PC Help Forums

Loving Win 8
delanti - 7-5-2014 at 17:54

When I set up the new PC and had to set a password for MS, I wrote it down on a sticky note. Didn't think I would be forgetting it but guess what? Shut down the PC last night to change a couple of things and my password will not work or at least what I thought it was and even worse, it seems my sticky note is among the missing. It says I can go to "account.live.com/password/reset" but I can't figure out how to do that.

There seems to be several recovery programs but I wondered if anyone had a short cut that works. waveysmiley

marymary100 - 7-5-2014 at 18:03

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

Katzy - 7-5-2014 at 20:40

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/reset-password-windows-8.htm

:D

delanti - 9-5-2014 at 17:44

OK, I thought my sign in email was my primary bellsouth one. My password would not work however. So logged into my web email account for the primary and changed the password but still no luck.I have a Yahoo email I use for junk, so logged into that account and changed the password and tried logging in to MS again. Finally success.

Needless to say I am going to have a record of my email accounts and passwords saved in several places in the future. Thanks all for the help.waveysmiley

LSemmens - 10-5-2014 at 10:13

I have a file with an innocuous name that keeps a record of every password and login that I've ever used. It is always accessible somewhere on my home network. The only time I run into trouble is when someone (who shall remain nameless) forgets to update it when he changes something....;)

delanti - 10-5-2014 at 14:36

I have absolutely nothing on my computer that anyone would want. I they hacked me, in 5 minutes they would be bored to death and go elsewhere. By the same token however what I do have is important to ME so when it is down, my blood pressure goes up.

My passwords are now stored on my Sons PC and in my desk drawer. waveysmiley

waffler - 10-5-2014 at 23:11

https://keepersecurity.com/

JackInCT - 11-5-2014 at 00:48

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
I have absolutely nothing on my computer that anyone would want. I they hacked me, in 5 minutes they would be bored to death and go elsewhere.

It seems to me that it would be prudent to presume that any/all hackers use UNATTENDED automated scripts to harvest what they hacked into your system for (re home users systems). Corporate/school/etc. penetrations are another matter entirely re malicious purposes.

scholar - 11-5-2014 at 03:42

I thought one of the common reasons for others to get into your computer was so they could use it as a zombie machine for their purposes (e.g. to spread malware to others). Isn't that a common attack method--spread your attack software to as many other machines as you can, and tell them to all attack a site at the same time?

Or, am I reading between the lines too much when I have read about remote programs and site attacks?

LSemmens - 11-5-2014 at 11:00

Keeper is a useful tool and I have used it in the past.

Scholar is correct, to a point, as is Jack. Your computer may well be dead boring to a hacker, but your access codes for various websites, including banks, might be.