Karl`s PC Help Forums

What should I do to speed up a computer, especially on the internet?
scholar - 20-3-2014 at 01:14

Ruby's computer has slowed down. What do you suggest to speed it up again, especially when she is on the internet? We are running Windows XP, and use Chrome (hers) and Firefox (mine).

I'm thinking a well-written, simple, complete answer to this might be worth a sticky in PC help. I think there used to be several, bu they may have become outdated as newer versions of Windows came out. (Just a suggestion, Dreamweaver. greengrin) Or, is my memory mistaken on this?

LSemmens - 20-3-2014 at 08:35

Put it on the back seat and then accelerate.

A good malware scan would be my first stop, followed by a registry cleaner. What security are you running?

Redwolf5150 - 20-3-2014 at 12:02

Good defragging probably wouldn't hurt, especially with XP.

waffler - 20-3-2014 at 17:15

get rid of xp and install win 7 if you have at least 2 gig ram:)

scholar - 20-3-2014 at 21:19

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Put it on the back seat and then accelerate.

A good malware scan would be my first stop, followed by a registry cleaner. What security are you running?

I've had Avast! free antivirus, which I first learned to trust here at Karls Forums.

What cleaner do you suggest?

waffler - 20-3-2014 at 22:24

Quote:

What cleaner do you suggest?

how about a bottle of clorox that should put it out of it's misery:D:mgun)

scholar - 20-3-2014 at 23:54

:( I am looking for real help, here, from friends who know which cleaning programs do a good job. I understand that some free programs actually have malware in them.

LSemmens - 21-3-2014 at 02:31

MBAM, cCleaner, Spybot, I'd have thought you'd know this by now.

Redwolf5150 - 21-3-2014 at 04:57

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
MBAM, cCleaner, Spybot, I'd have thought you'd know this by now.

penguiny

waffler - 21-3-2014 at 12:51

Scholar I think computers should be way on down the list of your priorities . Looking at your posts it seems you might need to concentrate on Ruby's meds

scholar - 21-3-2014 at 23:03

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler
Scholar I think computers should be way on down the list of your priorities . Looking at your posts it seems you might need to concentrate on Ruby's meds

Since I am at the food factory, working shifts of 11 and 12 hours, the whole time the clinic and doctor's offices are open, Ruby will have to be the agent of whatever we can do about her meds.

She has expressed great frustration at the way her computer has slowed down, because she likes to play games from internet game sites (games like Candy Crush, for example). If I can give her more enjoyment in her life by ridding her computer of things that have slowed it down by accumulation, I'd like to do so.

Katzy - 22-3-2014 at 10:12

Beware of registry cleaners. They can totally bork your machine.

I speak from personal experience. :(

http://www.howtogeek.com/171633/why-using-a-registry-cleaner-wont-speed-up-your-pc-or-fix-crashes

You might want to get this, from my webspace:

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/StartupManager.zip

It shows you what gets loaded, on bootup. No need to install. Just dearchive and run. :)

LSemmens - 23-3-2014 at 00:48

Interesting that you've borked a machine with a regcleaner, Katzy. I've never had any issues, but, also have never been afraid of a complete reload if something does happen. I only ever use mbam and ccleaner to to deal with my registry and neither of those have ever been too aggressive.

delanti - 27-3-2014 at 14:25

I have used the registry cleaner part of Easyclean on Win 98, Vista and Win 7 my home PC. I used it on a different version of Wind 7 on my Sons PC and ended up having to do a reinstall. Not sure just what was different or what got messed up but was one of those 'Oh crap" moments.waveysmiley

LSemmens - 28-3-2014 at 00:14

Never used Easyclean, might be that it was less conservative in its approach.

scholar - 2-4-2014 at 23:58

Ruby has mentioned that she is bothered by the malware "every second" when she is on the internet. But, it hasn't bothered me. That leads me to believe that it is attached to her browser, Chrome, and not to mine, Firefox (on her computer). So, can I neutralize it by reinstalling Chrome? Or, do I want to put in a different browser for her (say, Opera)?

We have different browsers so that we can keep our bookmarks/favorites separate, so that each goes to our own e-mail page, and so that we each sign in to KF in our own identity (that's how I once mistakenly appeared under her KF name, when I typed a reply after reading something when her browser was open).

Katzy - 3-4-2014 at 09:57

Before Opera dumped Presto and switched to the chrome engine, Blink, I'd've said switch to Opera. But, Opera's now known as "Opium", as it's little more than a Chrome clone, now, sadly. Even Mozilla have switched, now.

I'm using Lunascape, now. You can switch between engines and, although it takes a bit of getting used to, it's rather groovy.

dr john - 28-5-2014 at 16:28

download, install and run Malwarebyte's AntiMalware, from their site

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Let it remove the rubbish it finds.

It's free to use, although they'd like you to buy it to support their work. After the trial runs out, you can still use it, but you have to run it manually, and update the database before each run. Paid version updates and runs automatically. I tend to run it once a week or every 10 days just to be safe. A full scan takes quite a while, but you may need to do that. After that a quick scan will probably be okay.

John Barnes - 28-5-2014 at 22:59

I always found when I used to run XP that after backing up what I thought was essential onto a USB stick or Disc (I had my programmes I ran already on discs, the best way to speed up was a complete formatting and re-install of Xp, I know you have a complete install disc for Xp plus a validation disc, this always worked plus getting rid of detritus and bugs you may have picked up. in fact I always had two hard drives so whilst formatting one I ran the other, a good formatting will do wonders for your speed , Xp is not suitable for a fast broadband modem. I always used a Sagem 800 modem with good results or a speed touch one, these could never reach a fast download speed on windows 7 so I went on to a D-link dsl 2680 modem and I get a 20 gig download speed with this, but even these are being replaced with faster and newer models ,Internet speed depends 50 per cent on your server and 50 per cent on using a fast broad band modem . hope this helps Scholar

scholar - 29-5-2014 at 01:07

Thank you, Mr. Barnes. doffs_cap

LSemmens - 29-5-2014 at 08:37

I would only dispute the model of modem comments. A format and re-load will have a beneficial effect after a period of time. I am running a network of two W7 devices and, at least, two XP machines, not to mention many and varied mobile devices and performance is only dictated by the hardware inside the machine, nothing to do with the modem.

John Barnes - 29-5-2014 at 12:46

The internet speed is pertinent to the modem especially when using a Sagem or speed touch on windows 7 because when I first went on to windows 7 my download speed were abysmal so I queried the reason and was informed that the Xp modems were not suitable to the W7 system, so I informed my server (Talk Talk ) and they confirmed my findings, so they supplied me with a D-link Modem, but as we were talking about Xp maybe Scholars modem is good enough , but from reading his posts he only gets a low download speed that is why I suggested maybe he thinks about a later modem some thing on the 802.11n lines, the reformatting will help the speed of response of the computer, and maybe a talk to his server could enhance his Internet speed by a later design of modem , it worked for me. His server may up his broadband speed ?jmb

LSemmens - 29-5-2014 at 14:24

Yes an older modem may not work as well as a newer one. I got the impression that you were saying XP couldn't handle the speed of the newer modem. You see the diff?

John Barnes - 29-5-2014 at 15:28

Yep I understand,
I wonder if Scholars equipment and its innards would be capable of a windows 7 upgrade ? from what I can gather his computer is quite old, as I could be helpful in obtaining a system for him on the proviso his computer is good enough to accept any upgrade. jmb

waffler - 30-5-2014 at 00:54

Sounds like it is past upgraqding

scholar - 30-5-2014 at 01:19

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Yep I understand,
I wonder if Scholars equipment and its innards would be capable of a windows 7 upgrade ? from what I can gather his computer is quite old, as I could be helpful in obtaining a system for him on the proviso his computer is good enough to accept any upgrade. jmb

Ruby's computer is a 2.9 Ghz dual processor Athlon with 2 Gb RAM. It is faster and has more RAM than mine, so we have just been using hers from internet.

LSemmens - 30-5-2014 at 02:11

It would handle W7 quite well, my lappy is not much different from that spec try running thie W7 upgrade advisor from mickeysoft and see what you come up with.

John Barnes - 30-5-2014 at 09:06

It sounds a feasible option to instal W7 on Ruby's at least. jmb

scholar - 31-5-2014 at 18:45

Hmmmmm. . . .

Ruby never really used a home computer before (she reluctantly used mine, for a few minutes at a time, once in a while, but was not patient enough for its slow response), and has only ever used Win XP. Even now, she only knows the things she has used repeatedly, and asks me for help with anything else--EVEN if it is something I don't use, like G-mail and Facebook.

So, I can see some disadvantages to starting her on a new, unfamiliar OS, with which I have no experience, myself. Now, if I can get another tower, or a laptop, that is of comparable speed and RAM, I could have the old familiar and the newer run running at once, at least until I got to know the new one better.;)

marymary100 - 31-5-2014 at 18:59

Good grief. Just as well God isn't only available on G-Mail, Facebook and Win 7 then. waveysmiley

John Barnes - 31-5-2014 at 20:28

All computer are learning curve, if you think Windows 7 is daunting don't try Windows 8. When I first started on 8 I was ready to pull my hair out on occasions, Microsoft on Windows 8 even hide the power shut down button.never mind the Metro desktop.jmb

scholar - 31-5-2014 at 22:47

I have confidence I'm up to the challenge, and I have no doubt my friends here at KF would help me with any problem (even if you were laughing while you did it greengrin). But, I am protective of my queen, who has low frustration tolerance.

LSemmens - 2-6-2014 at 01:42

For the average user, W7 is just as easy as XP, it's only when you need stuff that can "get you into trouble" is where it becomes a pain. W8 is aimed squarely at the android user. For the stuff that Ruby uses, a few shortcuts on the desktop is all you need. I've set SWMBO up with a 'puter in recent history and she is much the same as Ruby, very technophobic. Her needs are a little more complex than gmail and FB, but FB is complex enough and SWMBO has yet to dive into that pond.