Karl`s PC Help Forums

Just a thought
delanti - 4-12-2013 at 15:56

My sons business pc has XP on it and I am thinking of installing a new version of windows also. When we got the box, I took the HD out of his old one which had all his documents and stuff on it and added it as a slave drive F. If I decide to install a newer version of win, should I install it on C drive or F?waveysmiley

waffler - 5-12-2013 at 00:53

I would go for C :)

scholar - 5-12-2013 at 03:11

This is exactly the kind of thing I like to learn here. I await an answer from the more experienced people here.waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 5-12-2013 at 04:04

I take it C is the current boot drive? It would probably HAVE to go there without mucking in the bios.

Are you thinking of keeping XP on it afterward?

WHY? Unless you're like me and have software and/or peripherals that won't work above XP.

Hence the Old Girl running in my Sanctum with the scanner hooked to it and my older version of Adobe Creative Suite since I have a couple Photoshop plugins that don't work in PS6 (On my newer tower running WIN 8.)

LSemmens - 5-12-2013 at 10:07

I'm assuming that you wish to blow away ExPee, then, of course you can install it to the C: drive (assuming that was the drive that had XP on it in the first place). Word of warning, though, Windoze 7 and above may not be too happy on legacy hardware such as was current whan XP was king so, be warned. Otherwise I'd recommend a current backup before you start just in case.
You could, of course plug in a new drive and keep the data on the older ones intact. If you need more details, keep asking.

delanti - 6-12-2013 at 15:43

Nothing much in programs we need beyond Quickbooks and Open Office so I am not too concerned with something not working.

Would I be better off replacing XP or going dual boot?waveysmiley

Redwolf5150 - 6-12-2013 at 16:33

Once you try 8 you will NOT go back.

John Barnes - 6-12-2013 at 20:42

I have 3 separate removable hard drives in caddies 1 XP. 2 W7. 3 W8.

And out of the three I use W7 the most, W8 imo is more suited for cell phones,jmb

LSemmens - 8-12-2013 at 08:08

I have one machine that runs XP and two with W7, I much prefer 7, though XP has never given me any concerns. From the few times I've played with 8, it doesn't look to be too bad. It does seem to be geared towards touch screens, though.