Karl`s PC Help Forums

Ruby's new computer
scholar - 16-10-2013 at 01:13

Her best friend (which one is her best friend depends on when she is speaking, she has three who share the title)'s husband put together one for her. The tower sits on the floor, near me. I have not powered it up yet. It has Windows XP in it. The memory and speed are each better than my best computer.

It is the tower--no monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or even a power cord. i will be assembling these.

Who would care to advise me on getting it running and established? I'm thinking I have to power it up with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I think I have an optical wheel mouse around here, somewhere.

Until I can get it hooked up to the internet, I'll be getting any drivers or software downloaded on my computer hard drive, and then I'll use a USB thumb drive to port it over to the other.

Since I was not home when the tech guy from the internet connection people hooked up my computer, I don't know how to hook up Ruby's so as to get it running.

I have a router around here that I picked up at a church rummage sale. But, I won't get to that until I've got basics going on the new machine.

Redwolf5150 - 16-10-2013 at 02:00

Depending on how long it has been mothballed, that might take you a while.

I'd get a monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up, boot it, then introduce it to the Internet pronto.

Some of those downloads may take a while. You might also be able to do them all at once.

Why make your job more difficult than it has to be.

;)

scholar - 16-10-2013 at 02:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Depending on how long it has been mothballed, that might take you a while.

I'd get a monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up, boot it, then introduce it to the Internet pronto.

Some of those downloads may take a while. You might also be able to do them all at once.

Why make your job more difficult than it has to be.

;)

Thank you, RW.

The computer has not been mothballed, in its present form. The MB and memory were probably already in the tower. The friend just put in the hard drive (80 Gb) and installed the OS (which is licensed). It does look a little dusty, which I plan to improve. I favor the method of using artist brushes to gently sweep away the dust.;)

Since I've never hooked a computer up to the kind of connection I have now, I'm proceeding cautiously. Right now, I just have the one high-speed cable connection.

the bear - 16-10-2013 at 03:12

Happy new computor Ruby waveysmiley

Regards the Bear

the bear - 16-10-2013 at 03:12

Happy new computor Ruby waveysmiley

Regards the Bear

marymary100 - 16-10-2013 at 08:26

I'm astounded that you don't know how to do it. Google is your friend.

Quaver - 16-10-2013 at 09:06

I'd just hook up everything (including the internet via ethernet), turn it on, and hope for the best:D

LSemmens - 16-10-2013 at 11:54

I'm with Quaver there, Scholar, RW is correct, just plug it in and let it work. Has your modem got any ethernet ports free or, perhaps a USB port? Ethernet is the preferable one, but USB will work at a pinch. Most ISP supplied modems of a couple of years back often had one USB and one Ethernet port. I've used both to give two computers access for some people in the past. It's just "plug and play" so you shouldn't stuff it up.

scholar - 16-10-2013 at 21:55

I see two USB ports next to where I think the ethernet cord connects in the back, two USB ports on the front of the machine, and a USB port on a card that I think is a video card (the D-shaped outlet with three rows of pin-holes fits the monitor plug). That card also has another shape of outlet. And, these correspond to similar outlets that seem to come from the motherboard. It is as if it had built-in video, but either a better video card was installed, or a second video as a card so two monitors could be used).

Should I use the USB keyboard in one of Ruby's USB ports? Or, should I grab one of my PS2 keyboards from days gone by?

If it makes any difference--I plan to power up with a PS2 optical wheel mouse with the HP logo on it. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having the keyboard and mouse through different kinds of plugs? Would the USB keyboard need a driver that the old PS2 did not?

I'm hooking things together, ready to power up when I've decided which choices (like, which keyboard and where).

marymary100 - 16-10-2013 at 22:27

Might help

or video help here

the bear - 16-10-2013 at 23:06

Scholar when Ruby's computor is up and running will we be seeing her on KFs

Take care my friend

Regards the Bear

scholar - 16-10-2013 at 23:51

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Might help

or video help here

I've got it up and running, now.

I did what your first link says to do, that is, I plugged the VGA monitor plug into the jack on the video card, not the one coming out of the motherboard.

I used a USB jack for the keyboard which was one of two in the back of the machine, off the motherboard, not beside any other jack (e.g not by the ethernet jack).

The optical wheel mouse and the keyboard are both working fine. The power cord I supplied seems OK, too.

The thin, flat monitor that Ruby picked up at a yard sale seems to be doing fine as well.

The desktop displays Firefox and Google Chrome, the LibreOffice suite, Adobe Acrobat, and Avast!.

scholar - 16-10-2013 at 23:53

Quote:
Originally posted by the bear

Take care my friend

Regards the Bear

She could. If we are on separate computers, or separate browsers, we can each post without identify confusion from the source.

the bear - 17-10-2013 at 00:05

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

Take care my friend

Regards the Bear

She could. If we are on separate computers, or separate browsers, we can each post without identify confusion from the source.

That would be good, we'd make her really welcome you know that :)

Regards the Bear waveysmiley

scholar - 17-10-2013 at 02:01

She says yes, she will join--but, I'll have to teach her to log on and such.:D

LSemmens - 17-10-2013 at 11:23

That's the easy bit, Scholar, did you get her internet working, too? How was your modem set?

marymary100 - 17-10-2013 at 14:19

As long as you don't mind her being able to search every post you ever made!

John_Little - 17-10-2013 at 16:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
I'd just hook up everything (including the internet via ethernet), turn it on, and hope for the best:D

It might be as well to stand well back and wear safety goggles and ear protection.

Congratulations, Scholar. I hope Ruby appreciates you!

delanti - 17-10-2013 at 18:56

Does it have an AV or firewall on it? If not that would be a priority before I did much internet browsing. Also check to see if XP has been updated with the Service Packs 1 & 2 as some things will not run with out them. waveysmiley

Dreamweaver - 17-10-2013 at 21:34

If, or when Ruby does decide to join the forum could you PM me her e-mail and name choice for the forum....

John Barnes - 17-10-2013 at 23:16

Okay Scholar I wont upset Ruby with any controversial posts like I do to you and Charles -promise waveysmiley

the bear - 18-10-2013 at 00:41

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
Okay Scholar I wont upset Ruby with any controversial posts like I do to you and Charles -promise waveysmiley

Yeh we'll be gentle with her Scholar, honest smokin:

Regards the Bear

scholar - 18-10-2013 at 01:32

Ruby wants to print from her computer. She picked up an all-in-one printer (scans and does faxes, as well as prints) at a yard sale--but, it has no power supply! (Did the sellers realize it? I wish I could stop back, but I don't remember the address.) It is an HP printer, and the diagram on the back says one of the three contacts is for 32 volts, and the other is 16 volts. I think the third is a ground common to both. The current to be used is also noted in milli-amps.

My own HP printer is also 32 volts and 16 volts. The milli-amps mentioned are slightly different values.

So, can I expect my power supply to work on her printer as well? If I try it, is there a substantial risk my power supply will be ruined, with the result we have no working computer?

John Barnes - 18-10-2013 at 11:07

I dont know about the USA but in England you have to buy the power lead separate, I also think you run on a 110 mvolts we run a 240 volt system not that alters things.jmb

LSemmens - 18-10-2013 at 13:10

Those PSUs are machine specific, Scholar, if it was just a standard 12v or 19v supply, you could get away with it, but if they supply different voltages on different pins, you could be in all sorts of do, do, so you'd better start praying that you remember from whence it came.

scholar - 18-10-2013 at 23:43

They are the same voltages for the same pins, according tot he diagram. The small notations have only a small difference in the current (the amperage) that the printers say they will use.

LSemmens - 19-10-2013 at 12:51

If all else but the current is the same, you could try it, the worst you could do is fry the PSU.

scholar - 19-10-2013 at 23:49

I've been having trouble with the connection to my printer, on my own computer, so I decided the safest and easiest approach was to move it to Ruby's. I will try the all-in-one if I need to scan, copy, or fax something. Even if it wants more current (I forget which had the slightly higher amperage notation), I will feel safer if I only plug it in for a few minutes at a time for those special purposes.

As I think about it, it is probably only worth it to me to keep a fresh working ink cartridge in the one I use most. The all-in-one will probably only come into service for scanning.

Ruby wanted me to type and print a document for her, so I hooked it up and printed a copy. It works fine--much better than it has been working on my computer lately.

the bear - 20-10-2013 at 01:09

Go on let Ruby have a go, everybody is waiting to meet her in the Late Night Club.

scholar - 20-10-2013 at 02:32

Quote:
Go on let Ruby have a go, everybody is waiting to meet her in the Late Night Club.

My PM messages are full to overflowing, so I have e-mailed Dreamweaver with Ruby's e-mail and chosen Forum Name. As I recall, for the first log-on, Ruby gets a password in her e-mail. I'll also have to encourage her to participate--she is more of a talk-on-the-phone person than an e-mail or texting person (she doesn't touch-type), and posting is obviously more typing, not talking.

LSemmens - 21-10-2013 at 10:30

We were all novices at one stage, Scholar, as long as we all remember that, which, I'm sure we will, Ruby will have no problems.

scholar - 21-10-2013 at 21:16

Ruby has gotten the initial automatic e-mail with the password, and a follow-up e-mail from Dot (as I recall, KF rules don't allow e-mail content to be revealed without permission). Ruby now has the info to be able to log on at will.

the bear - 21-10-2013 at 21:23

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Ruby has gotten the initial automatic e-mail with the password, and a follow-up e-mail from Dot (as I recall, KF rules don't allow e-mail content to be revealed without permission). Ruby now has the info to be able to log on at will.

Go Ruby Go :):)

Regars the Bear waveysmiley

LSemmens - 22-10-2013 at 08:12

Why would she log on at Will, she'd be better off logging on here.......nananana