Karl`s PC Help Forums

taking password protection off pdf document
scholar - 28-9-2013 at 19:41

Ruby had me retrieve a certain W2 form for her, onto my hard drive. It required a password to open it, and I did so.

I saved the document, with its pdf extension, under another name. When I opened the copy, it again asked for the password. (I had mistakenly thought that the password requirement would not stick to the newly-named copy.)

How can I get this bothersome password protection off it? If I can't, will it cause me a problem in printing it?

LSemmens - 29-9-2013 at 00:35

It shouldn't cause a problem when printing. Depending upon your PDF editor, there will be a menu option somewhere to remove the password. If, of course you are only using a "reader", forget it.

marymary100 - 29-9-2013 at 08:17

The protection is to stop you amending the document. The accountant will have done that so that no fraud is committed that he is a party to. You would need Acrobat Pro which I have to amend the document but it will print fine as it is. But a question scholar, why post on here when just printing would have worked that out for you? Pressing "print" would seem way less work than starting a thread. confused2

scholar - 1-10-2013 at 23:36

My printing situation is unreliable. The last time I tried to print something, I kept getting a "printer disconnected" notice. The printer appeared to be connected by an A-B USB cable which I purchased, new, because I'd had issues with the cable I'd had previously. It worked fine, but I'm not sure what has happened.

So, I might e-mail the document to myself and retrieve it in the public library, where I hope to get a print. Or, I might carry it there on a USB thumb drive. Or, I might take such a drive to a print shop.

But, anywhere I take it, it would save me a step if I don't have to enter a password.

In fact, now that I think of it--I don't now remember what the password is. It was put on it by the source, so it wasn't one of my choosing, which means it isn't something I might think of, myself.:(

scholar - 1-10-2013 at 23:37

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
It shouldn't cause a problem when printing. Depending upon your PDF editor, there will be a menu option somewhere to remove the password. If, of course you are only using a "reader", forget it.

I have the free Foxit reader. Don't you have to pay for an editor?

LSemmens - 2-10-2013 at 00:57

Have a text file stored with the PDF that is called the password......