Karl`s PC Help Forums

Greyed out
John Barnes - 15-9-2013 at 13:25

After installing some updates and and a new tuneup 2014 utility.
I found that my protection page and my sytem restore greyed out and inaccessible,after much advice on editing the registry and tooing and throwing on many complicated remedies which a beginner would find baffling.with no success at all. i started upon using the installation disc which gives a choice of repair files after waiting about half an hour for it to do its stuff until it finally started with system protection and system restore fully functional again though a couple of programmes had to be reinstalled all is calm and sane in my household. once again.Until the next time. lolkewl_glasses

John Barnes - 15-9-2013 at 14:01

this is one suggestions that did not work and i got many even more complicated ones

Reset the Repository.
Boot into Safe Mode without networking and open a command prompt as administrator.
Now Type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter. This will stop the Windows Management Instrumentation Service
Next go to C:WindowsSystem32wbem and rename therepository folder to repository old
Restart.
Now again open a command prompt as administrator, type net stop winmgmt and hit Enter.
Next Type winmgmt /resetRepository and hit Enter.
Restart.Now see if you can create a System Restore Point manually. Hope some of this
helps you.

There were ones about registry entries and creating new D words

now how many users would even know where and how to do such a thing, the best and safest way is to do a repair and install from the disc IMOwaveysmiley

John_Little - 15-9-2013 at 16:25

True.

scholar - 15-9-2013 at 22:46

I appreciate your account. It reminds me of KF from a few years back, when we were doing more computer help.:D
Are you using Windows 8?

Redwolf5150 - 16-9-2013 at 02:30

Don't you just love how hanging around all these smart people rub off on the rest of us?

kewl_glasses

the bear - 16-9-2013 at 02:37

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
After installing some updates and and a new tuneup 2014 utility.
I found that my protection page and my sytem restore greyed out and inaccessible,after much advice on editing the registry and tooing and throwing on many complicated remedies which a beginner would find baffling.with no success at all. i started upon using the installation disc which gives a choice of repair files after waiting about half an hour for it to do its stuff until it finally started with system protection and system restore fully functional again though a couple of programmes had to be reinstalled all is calm and sane in my household. once again.Until the next time. lolkewl_glasses

Being without a PC is like having no legs, it also brings on Panic Attacks.

John its good to hear that all is now resolved.

Best regards the Bear

LSemmens - 16-9-2013 at 09:25

The "repair" option is often the best, and easiest. I understand what was being suggested about rebuilding the repository, which does solve some issues, I think a system repair is the quickest. I've gotten lazy in my old age and tend to opt for the quickest repairs these days.

John Barnes - 17-9-2013 at 16:34

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I appreciate your account. It reminds me of KF from a few years back, when we were doing more computer help.:D
Are you using Windows 8?

I have multiple Hard drives
1=xp (Hardly used these days )
2=windows 7 (Bees knees)
3=Windows=8(don't like)