Karl`s PC Help Forums

copying video
LSemmens - 11-9-2013 at 02:10

I have a heap of files on a 8G memory stick that I need to copy to another device, all mpg video. all file play using VLC or the like. Attempting to copy them to another device for backup produces an error that causes the device to unmount and remount. File copy, of course, immediately falls over. Tried copying using Hiren, UBCD, Linux, XP, Vista and W7.

Any suggestions? These are videos created of old family moments that the lady would not like to lose. The videos were created by her husband who passed away last year, so I have no idea what methods he used. He seems to have backups of everything except this list of files.

marymary100 - 11-9-2013 at 06:07

I've uploaded videos up to Youtube then downloaded then again using Youtube Download converter. Because it is your own Youtube account you can disable comments and even delete the videos once you no longer want them on public view.

LSemmens - 11-9-2013 at 09:20

I've since found that the files that won't copy do fall over at some point in playback, so there is something that has corrupted the file, sounds like a lost cause at this rate.

Katzy - 11-9-2013 at 10:05

Yuk. I hate to say this... But, I think your stick's about to pop it's clogs. If that happens, forget about getting data off it, I'm afraid.

However... Something to try, first.

Find the device in Device Manager, if you can. I know this might seem weird, but sticks can fall foul of the old "Allow the computer to turn this device of to save power" thing, even when it's in use. (Dur!). (Properties>PowerManagement)

If that's checked, try unchecking it.

To try and get files off of the stick, you might just be lucky...

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier

If any files need repairing, when you've got 'em, try loading them into VirtualDub. You'll only be able to save 'em as avi files, but VDub makes a good fist of repairing duff mpg files, as it loads 'em.

If not, I have a small armoury of video repair tools, I can try, if you can get the files to me, somehow.

John Barnes - 11-9-2013 at 22:00

Try convert x to dvd, I always do,never fails me when converting avi files to dvd or if I am copying a dvd I use clone cd. jmb

LSemmens - 12-9-2013 at 01:28

I forgot about Virtualdub, must try it, back later.

LSemmens - 12-9-2013 at 02:52

Virtualdub was even less successful than VLC, I can't convince VLC to save the file anywhere else, though. May have to write all these off.
I think I've tried unstoppable copier, too but, because the OS thinks the device is ejected, it falls over, too.

Katzy - 12-9-2013 at 10:05

There's a free converter that's pretty good (Usual Google Chrome/Ask to disable, though). Whilst I've yet to find a format that it can't convert, I suspect the drive will dismount, again.

Format Factory.

Did you check those power settings?

I forgot to mention this:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

It's rather good. :) (Free, too!)

LSemmens - 12-9-2013 at 11:38

Unstoppable copier did actually work. It did not allow me to view the entire file, but, at least I have something to play with. Virtual dub stops as though it has hit an EOF at the first error. VLC, at least, allows me to skip the error and continue viewing until it strikes the next marker. VLC will not allow me to c&p the "extra" stuff. So, am getting there slowly.

JackInCT - 21-9-2013 at 15:14

Well if you're willing to spend money, there are numerous online sites that will attempt to recover data on HDs, thumb drives, i. e., any device that stores data (the generic term seems to be disaster recovery services); that means of course shipping them the device. Whether any given site is truly on a professional level re its personnel's skills can be difficult to determine just by what's on its website. Supposedly such sites do data recovery after floods, fires, vandalism, etc.,; what their success rate is re what's on their website, I would be highly skeptical of. An alternative if there is a local PC repair shop, is that you might want to go over and assess that, but take what they tout as their capabilities with skepticism.

LSemmens - 22-9-2013 at 05:49

The local PC repair shop is me! Yes, we have one in our town, but, from what I hear, I am more knowledgeable. As for paying to get the data back, I'm not certain that it is that critical. They are old photos that have been set up as a slideshow and placed in a mpg "container" set to music. If it were me, I'd still have the piccies somewhere anyway. The lady is not really interested in 'puters and this was all done by her hubby who passed away last year. Her thinking, and it may well be right, is, that when she kicks the bucket, none of her kids will be particularly interested in these, anyway.

Katzy - 22-9-2013 at 10:51

Although not free, this is very good.

http://www.ufsexplorer.com/order.php (I have the portable version) ;)

Not sure even that'd be of much use, if the drive keeps dismounting, though.

LSemmens - 22-9-2013 at 11:19

If I could be bothered, a bit of time with a Hex editor could probably fix it, but, as I have already implied, probably not worth the effort.