Karl`s PC Help Forums

Is there way to check a charger?
Redwolf5150 - 26-8-2013 at 17:29

Jackie's Lappy had a dead battery. We ordered a replacement, which isn't charging, either.

Is there a way to test if the onboard charger is working without cracking the case? The company we bought the replacement battery from said you may have to flash the bios to get the computer to recognize the new battery. I checked the Gateway website and it has the most recent bios, but how would I flash it?

I'm also calling the company we bought the battery from to double check she ordered the CORRECT battery. I'd just like to try and cover all my bases.

If it IS the charger, how hard would that be to replace?

Gateway model NV79, runs Win 7, but I doubt that matters.

Redwolf5150 - 26-8-2013 at 17:34

Probably one more for the hardware type among us.

marymary100 - 26-8-2013 at 18:01

For me it was the charger and I keep a replacement charger with all sorts of connectors to try out when I suspect the charger is to blame. If you have a charger that only fits that laptop I'm not sure what you would do but if it came with bits to charge up other items then I'd see if it charged another lappy or something.

Failing that, this youtube link might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8duphd3oKw

Redwolf5150 - 26-8-2013 at 22:19

The lappy works when plugged in, the battery just won't charged.

I'll give the video a more detailed watch once I get through my first day of classwork.

scholar - 27-8-2013 at 01:42

Redwolf, if I understand you correctly, the "onboard charger" is circuitry inside the laptop, right?

So, Marymary, the multiple-plugs charger idea does not apply.

RW, I'm sorry I don't have a better idea to offer. You would have to "crack the case" to check the output with a VOM, which is the very thing you specified you wish to avoid.

LSemmens - 27-8-2013 at 02:57

I'm suspicious of the the battery circuitry 'cause if it works when plugged in, then either the battery is stufft or the circuit to charge it is stuffed. If the battery is new, then that only leaves the circuitry. Did the old battery hold any form of charge?

As far as pulling lappies apart, they are fiddly, and I would recommend you finding a service manual for that particular model online before you even crack the case.

marymary100 - 27-8-2013 at 06:16

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar

He specifically asked how to check if it was the charger. waveysmiley

The two solutions I posted answer that query.

John_Little - 27-8-2013 at 09:17

Well. In the old days, if you changed stuff on the board - such as the memory and all, you had to just open up the bios thing before start up and just save it and close it. The option comes up when you stop the loading process by pressing one of the function keys. Then opt for the bios thing and simply open save and close and it should detect the new stuff. I think.

Redwolf5150 - 27-8-2013 at 13:31

Thanks John. I'll add that to my list.

I have to get this lappy mobile again for school.

scholar - 28-8-2013 at 01:58

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Quote:

If Redwolf's charger is circuitry built into the laptop--so that a 120-volts-AC cord plugs into the laptop, and there is no other access--I don't understand how your replacement charger with all sorts of different connectors could be any help in the process.confused2

Redwolf5150 - 28-8-2013 at 04:28

Geek Squad said they'll bench test it for free.

It being Jackie's computer, I'm loath to do any "surgery" on it other than more RAM.

IOW...

I don't want to be blamed for it suddenly not working OR being out for a while. If it's not a busted connection they can fix in house, I know someone local who can order the part(s) and THEN Jackie gives it up for the work.

marymary100 - 28-8-2013 at 06:05

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If Redwolf's charger is circuitry built into the laptop--so that a 120-volts-AC cord plugs into the laptop, and there is no other access--I don't understand how your replacement charger with all sorts of different connectors could be any help in the process.confused2

I know you don't understand. I'm assuming you don't have a laptop.

There is an external charger and internal circuitry. RW asked about the charger but seems to have meant the bit inside the laptop casing. That would not be called the charger here.

Redwolf5150 - 28-8-2013 at 18:46

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know you don't understand. I'm assuming you don't have a laptop.

There is an external charger and internal circuitry. RW asked about the charger but seems to have meant the bit inside the laptop casing. That would not be called the charger here.

I know, I KNOW...

I should have used the CORRECT terminology...

"That thingy inside the computer that charges the battery when the laptop is plugged in" is the correct term.

skidaddle

marymary100 - 28-8-2013 at 20:30

At least you admit your mistakes! ;)