Karl`s PC Help Forums

Problem loading page
delanti - 21-8-2013 at 13:35

Ok all you brains. About 5 days ago I logged in to KF and posted just fine. Since then I have not been able to access the website from my home PC and I get a problem loading page message. I even googled KF and clicked the link for KF and same results. Waffler emailed me his bookmark link and I tried that with same results.

I can access KF from my sons office PC however just fine. I am confused and out of ideas, anyone have any suggestions?

I am beginning to think Leigh has blocked my IPnananana

scholar - 22-8-2013 at 02:15

Could it be a cookie problem?

LSemmens - 23-8-2013 at 00:07

;) Try opening a dos box (Start Run Cmd) then issuing an <Ipconfig /flushdns> Command see if that helps.

scholar - 23-8-2013 at 00:23

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
;) Try opening a dos box (Start Run Cmd) then issuing an <Ipconfig /flushdns> Command see if that helps.

To increase my knowledge in this area, Leigh, would you explain the meaning behind this?

LSemmens - 23-8-2013 at 13:48

flush Domain Name Server

delanti - 26-8-2013 at 15:43

Nothing working so far. Here is a list of things I have done so far.

Tried 3 browsers, FF. IE and Opera. Same results on all, cannot load page.
Removed KF User name and password from FF prior to trying Opera and same results.
Fluished DNS as per Leighs suggestion. still nothing.
Shut down Firewall and tried with no success.

No other bookmark links seem to be affected, only KF. I am leaning toward a blocked IP as I can not come up with another answer. I am sure KF has not done it, who and how could it be done otherwise any way? I was reading some comments on Yahoo and one person was complaining that Yahoo was blocking some of his sites. Is that a possibility?

In a few days I will have another PC here to work on and it will be interesting to hook it to my router and see if I can access KF or not from another PC on the same IP.

I will be posting this from the office PC:bon)

LSemmens - 27-8-2013 at 02:29

Try ipconfig /release
followed by ipconfig /renew

not sure if either of those will work, but worth a try
possibly flush dns servers again while you are there.

delanti - 27-8-2013 at 17:52

I just discovered another interesting thing. I used to have a "My Yahoo" page I accessed from the Yahoo home page.confused2 I had my favorite sports teams schedules there along with a few other things I liked to check and keep track of. Now when I try to go there I get AT&T home page of which AT&T is my IP provider. Again, I can get My Yahoo page from this PC but not from home.

This gets more interesting all the time.confused2

Dreamweaver - 27-8-2013 at 23:10

curiouser and curiouser......

LSemmens - 28-8-2013 at 01:45

Highly unlikely, but have you tried a system cleanup, cCleaner (including registry), Malwarebytes, and complete (I mean as thorough and deep as your virus scanner will allow) scan?

delanti - 28-8-2013 at 13:26

Spent over an hour on chat with AT&T rep last night. Resolved the My Yahoo page problem. Yahoo & AT&T work together and both have a sign in page. When you are signed in with Yahoo every so often it pops up and makes you sign in again. Well a sign in page jumped up and I signed in but didn't realize it was the AT&T sign in page. I had to sign out of AT&T to get back to Yahoo.

But my KF page problem did not get resolved. They suggested some of the same things Leigh already had me do. It ended up with them having me check to see if my network was automatically selecting IP and then they had me reset my router but we still ended up back at square 1. I am getting that other PC that I can plug into my router and see what I can do maybe that will shed some light on my problem. This KF denial is terrible.:(

LSemmens - 28-8-2013 at 14:49

Just a thought, can you get onto Karls driver page

http://www.karlsforums.com

which is the 'main' page. I always go straight to /forums, but if the server is having a hissy fit and not letting me into the forums, usually a dB error, I can still get onto the driver site.

There should be no reason why this would work when the other does not, but thought it worth a try.

delanti - 28-8-2013 at 19:08

Tried that Leigh. The first time I could not get on I googled Karl's driver site and then tried the link with no luck. Confusing right?confused2

sceptre - 28-8-2013 at 19:34

It should be interesting to see the result of using another PC from your router as there is a rash of complaints about AT&T blocking websites .
In the meantime try opening "command prompt" in your computer and enter tracert karlsforums.com . The final hop should be c-panel 31 but might tell where the problems if isp or server related begin.

Katzy - 28-8-2013 at 19:53

Long-shot...

I wonder if your "hosts" file's been nobbled...

C:WindowsSystem32driversetchosts

If you open that, in a text editor, every line should begin with a "#".

If not, you might want to delete the lines that don't have that, at the beginning.

Another thing could be OpenDNS, if you use it. I used it, for ages. But, recently, it started blocking loads of perfectly normal sites, like The Guardian's website and loads of others. So, I dumped it.

LSemmens - 29-8-2013 at 01:36

Good thoughts I forgot both of those, Sceptre and Katzy.

delanti - 29-8-2013 at 18:41

Well,it is not my computer. Last night I hooked up the other PC which has basically nothing on it. I plugged it into my router by cable, then I downloaded Firefox and tried KF. Got the same old "could not load page" message. Googled KF and tried the driver site and nothing there either. I dont use OpenDNS so that is not an issue but I will check the host bit tonight.

Thanks for al the suggestions so far guys, I really appreciate it as it looks like it will take a better mind than I have to resolve this.waveysmiley

I just thought of something. Wonder what happens if I by pass my router and just go through the AT&T modem? Am I grasping at straws?confused2

LSemmens - 30-8-2013 at 08:28

Definitely worth a try, delanti, I was going to suggest a hard reset of the router which will mean setting up all your security, NAT protocols etc, again.

delanti - 30-8-2013 at 15:09

Been considering that Leigh but have been using my age as an excuse for not remembering to do it. My YS will be here this weekend and he is a whiz at that stuff, I might see if I can talk him into doing it for me.waveysmiley

delanti - 5-9-2013 at 15:28

Ok, reset router or should I say YS reset it. No avail! On chat with AT&T rep yesterday for another hour or so and still no resolution. Did try several other things, like pinging Karls but ping failed. Even the rep tried on a mobile phone and also tried the web site on his phone be could not connect. Was KF down last evening around 5 - 6 PM EST?

He suggested trying a VPN to see what might work. Will attempt that tonght.confused2

marymary100 - 5-9-2013 at 15:53

How about this link:

http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/today.php

delanti - 5-9-2013 at 17:37

This is a PITA in the first class. I have to copy the link, email it to my home PC then when I get home this afternoon I can try it.

Beginning to think NSA has found out I am corresponding on this web site with Scholar and RW. I believe they have turned that info over to Homeland Security and they have blocked me from contacting those two. Due to the aggressive hostilities between them there is a good chance of hostilities breaking out even before we invade Syra. nananana

I asked the AT&T rep yesterday if there was any way AT&T could or would block me from accessing KF and he said no, it would be against free speech. I don't know much about servers, is thee any way your provider apart from KF could block me? Grasping at straws here, even had the AT&T guy baffled.waveysmiley

marymary100 - 5-9-2013 at 17:43

I just want you to try that link because for some reason it works for me when other KF links don't. Just the belt and braces stuff really. ;)

sceptre - 5-9-2013 at 21:05

Quote:
Originally posted by delanti
... I don't know much about servers, is thee any way your provider apart from KF could block me? Grasping at straws here, even had the AT&T guy baffled.waveysmiley

If they (ISP) blocked a site by IP any other site sharing the server would be blocked too i.e. 217.115.119.65

And while the hosts could block , it normally would only be a temporary thing such as during a DDoS attack .

LSemmens - 6-9-2013 at 01:37

Just had a thought. Open a DOS box and perform a
"tracert w w w.karlsforums.com" that should tell you where it's falling over. (tke out the spaces in http://www though)

delanti - 6-9-2013 at 13:31

I will try that tonight Leigh. I tried your link Mary and no luck with that either. I tried a VPN last night and that didn't work either, I am about to my wits end with this thing. drop_down

marymary100 - 6-9-2013 at 15:11

What browser are you using? I use Chrome. Does it work on that? If you've already answered that just ignore this.

sceptre - 7-9-2013 at 20:44

I thought that we had already tried the tracert .
We could try a link to a site who's server is located a few racks along in the same datacentre . MM will know which one .
I'm still pretty sure that it's a ISP block though as they have form regardless of what their rep said .

marymary100 - 7-9-2013 at 22:06

I'll send you a U2U to a different site on the same datacentre Delanti.

delanti - 9-9-2013 at 12:53

Leigh, your the man!:D Your suggestion didn't solve my problem but sure did give me some insight into what the problem might be. I did a tracert and my ping ended at 12.81.56.13. I downloaded a trial version of a rout tracing program and discovered that IP is AT&T Worldwide in Morristown, NJ.

I spent over an hour again with AT&T chat rep trying to find out why my ping ends there. I got the rep to put me on with her Supervisor and they both insisted on trying to get me to check my computer, browser and router to fix the problem and I insisted that they investigate why my signal ends in Morristown, NJ. Unless I am missing something if my ping gets that far, there should be nothing wrong with my equipment should there? She finally decided to put in a work report on the problem and I am waiting to hear something from AT&T on it. waveysmiley

delanti - 9-9-2013 at 12:55

Here is my ping route trace.

delanti - 9-9-2013 at 13:03

By clicking on the banner for the IP's you can get further information. On the one 38.162.62.216 I found this mention of a block. I am not sure what it means, but none of the other ones say anything about a block.

LSemmens - 10-9-2013 at 00:32

Does the ping fail at the same point every time?
Have you tried a Proxy server?

sceptre - 10-9-2013 at 19:59

The block in that case is the netrange above it and not the other type of block we think that is in place .

delanti - 11-9-2013 at 16:56

Quote:
Originally posted by sceptre
The block in that case is the netrange above it and not the other type of block we think that is in place .

Thanks sceptre. waveysmiley

delanti - 11-9-2013 at 17:08

Spent another hour and a half on AT&T help last night and they still insist on investigating every nook and cranny or my PC and related hardware. This time they said my AT&T modem was configured incorrectly but when we tried to change it the modem conf program would not let me set it to what they wanted it set at so we went back to the original. One thing I have not tried is to connect the PC directly to the modem, bypassing the router and will try that tonight.

They keep focusing on either my system or the KF site. I keep telling them KF does not have me blocked but I guess that menu on their screen keep telling them that could be the problem. They did do a remote control of my PC and did a tracert and got the same results as I did.

They closed the report that was initiated the other day because they checked and AT&T does not have KF blocked, so they said. waveysmiley

marymary100 - 11-9-2013 at 20:34

Did you try the site I sent you a U2U link for? It is on the same bit of t'internet so if it is blocked too then the problem is with the server we are on, probably.

Katzy - 11-9-2013 at 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by delantiOne thing I have not tried is to connect the PC directly to the modem, bypassing the router and will try that tonight.

I may have missed something... But, a router AND a modem?

Why would you need both? A router, on it's own, is what most people have, if they have more than one machine connecting, don't they?

LSemmens - 12-9-2013 at 01:09

Actually, Katzy, some modems do not have routers built into them. I have three "routers" on my system. A modem router in one room that feeds the house. A router for the Lounge room that feeds the TV, set top box and a PC, and a router (which is also a modem - but not used) in the office which feeds the 'puters and printer in there.

Katzy - 12-9-2013 at 10:07

But, I thought the converse was true. Routers are modems.

I could be mistaken, of course. But, I thought that routers that weren't modems, too, were called "Hubs".

LSemmens - 12-9-2013 at 11:41

A modem is really a modulator/demodulator whereas a router "switches" the data to various ports. Routers and hubs, might well be the same.

delanti - 12-9-2013 at 15:06

Chapter 2! I am in one of those can't win situations. Got home yesterday, had supper and decided to by pass the router. Changed the cables and WTF no internet. Double checked everything, seems ok, No internet. Well crap, rehook up the router and crap, no internet.

Reset modem, no internet. Reset router, no internet.:bon)

Give up and call AT&T support. I get a recorded message that they are work in a disruption in my area and it should be done by 7:30PM. Look at the clock and it is 7:10 and there is a program I want to watch at 8 so off to the telly and relax. Shows over and out to the PC and ...................no internet. Reset modem...........no internet. Double check all connections, trouble shoot network and it says everything is ok by DNS not responding. Call AT&T support and get recorded message, " working on an outage in your area, no time estimated for compensation.

Well, that does it, back to the telly. Bed time, 11:00 PM and check, no connection. Get up this morning and check, no connection. 11:00 AM no connection, called support and get message, working on outage in your area no estimated time for completion. :bon):comp)ooerrr_ee

sceptre - 12-9-2013 at 18:59

Quote:

I may have missed something... But, a router AND a modem?

Why would you need both? A router, on it's own, is what most people have, if they have more than one machine connecting, don't they?

The official designation of mine is an ADSL modem/router
In other words it's for a telephone line and not cable .
Years ago all I had was a USB modem so no wifi and main computer had to be on if using another one . setteehidey

delanti - 13-9-2013 at 14:18

Up date. The phone line problem got solved I guess so got on last light with AT&T support to try to get back on the net. Decided to try just the modem (ADSL) which would not connect and after about half an hour the support threw up their Indonesian hands and said they would call me back.

Got to thinking that the previous support guy had me tinkering with my modem settings, went in and found I had no DNS settings. Set it to auto detect and danged if I didn't get back on the net. Still waiting for the call back by the way.

When I plugged the Netgear router into the system though I could not connect to the net and it showed no internet connection on the router so still have something there to sort out.

Tried Marys link and it worked fine Mary, thanks.

Still could not connect to KF using only the modem though.

At least I can get on support chat tonight, they seem much more knowledgeable then the phone support folks in one of those far away lands.waveysmiley

delanti - 16-9-2013 at 20:50

Karl's forum connection problem solved.After a week of every night chat or phone contact with AT&T support and them telling me that AT&T does not block web sites and going through the set up for my modem, router, PC and everything except my chair and leaving me with a router that at the moment is inoperable, guess what?

For some unknown reason that they would not reveal because I do not own the site, they have Karl's Forum blocked to all AT&T internet customers. They gave me an email address for Dot to email requesting the block be removed. I have forwarded this on to her via U2U. I don't have any idea if I am the only AT&T customer that visits this site or not so I can not tell if it has affected anyone else or not.

Now I only have to get my router problem sorted and wait until they unblock this site and I will be able to get back on from home.
dancingbanana_new.gif:danceman:banana)

Still wondering about that Scholar, RW and Obama thing though.nananana

marymary100 - 16-9-2013 at 20:57

Isn't that odd? Maybe Dot has been getting the old Kill1 out! :D

LSemmens - 17-9-2013 at 00:08

Ain't it grand? We must be some highly secretive terrorist org to have come to the attention of AT&T and be blocked.shocked_yellow:D:D

marymary100 - 17-9-2013 at 06:08

Maybe it's all the anti-Obama rants...

Dreamweaver - 17-9-2013 at 13:13

Quote:
Karl's forum connection problem solved.After a week of every night chat or phone contact with AT&T support and them telling me that AT&T does not block web sites and going through the set up for my modem, router, PC and everything except my chair and leaving me with a router that at the moment is inoperable, guess what?

For some unknown reason that they would not reveal because I do not own the site, they have Karl's Forum blocked to all AT&T internet customers. They gave me an email address for Dot to email requesting the block be removed. I have forwarded this on to her via U2U. I don't have any idea if I am the only AT&T customer that visits this site or not so I can not tell if it has affected anyone else or not.

Now I only have to get my router problem sorted and wait until they unblock this site and I will be able to get back on from home.
dancingbanana_new.gif:danceman:banana)

Still wondering about that Scholar, RW and Obama thing though.nananana

The last u2u I have is from Waffler initially telling me of your problem. Who is AT+ T?

delanti - 17-9-2013 at 13:25

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

The last u2u I have is from Waffler initially telling me of your problem. Who is AT+ T?

AT&T is a big telephone/internet provider here in the US. They gave me a email address where you can send to request to be unblocked. I am sure I sent a U2U Sunday with the address. I don't have that with me today so I will bring it in tomorrow and send it again.waveysmiley

Dreamweaver - 17-9-2013 at 16:20

Would be interesting to find out why we were suddenly blocked lol .

Thanks Del.

sceptre - 17-9-2013 at 16:30

I doubt if it was Karls itself that was blocked but the ISP has used a sledgehammer to crack a nut by banning the server address instead of the actual offending site , they'll be literally a few hundred websites sharing that server address .

delanti - 18-9-2013 at 21:29

Taaa Daaaa Whoopie and yahoo!!! Logged in from home again. Thank you all for the help, it would not have been possible without you guys and gals, especially Dot for requesting the unblocking. I owe her one for that. :clap):clap):clap):clap)

LSemmens - 19-9-2013 at 02:11

Welcome home, finally be released from prison. :D How's it feel to be a "free man" again?waveysmiley

Dreamweaver - 19-9-2013 at 20:38

Quote:
Taaa Daaaa Whoopie and yahoo!!! Logged in from home again. Thank you all for the help, it would not have been possible without you guys and gals, especially Dot for requesting the unblocking. I owe her one for that. :clap):clap):clap):clap)

Still no reply from them though Del. Except the "donotreply" usual receipt ?

delanti - 19-9-2013 at 22:30

Quote:
Quote:

Still no reply from them though Del. Except the "donotreply" usual receipt ?

Not surprising since for 4 days they kept telling me they do not block sites. Thinking back, the first Tec I got tried to access KF with his phone and could not get on. Working for AT&T he probably had AT&T service which means he would have had a AT&T IP so he would have been blocked also. Afterthoughts! Makes you wonder though what they are doing out there in the far reaches of the internet don't it.waveysmiley

marymary100 - 19-9-2013 at 22:47

We were with A T & T when in the US. We had an awful lot of trouble with our international calls in the late 80s - to Iraq at any rate. The bills were hundreds of dollars, way back then.

Dreamweaver - 20-9-2013 at 06:07

There seems to be another member who has had similar issues,AT+T customer, he has only returned recently after a 3 week forced silence.

delanti - 20-9-2013 at 13:28

Quote:
There seems to be another member who has had similar issues,AT+T customer, he has only returned recently after a 3 week forced silence.

3 weeks, that the same time frame I had. waveysmiley

delanti - 21-9-2013 at 00:14

Got a phone call today from my AT&T DSL expert. First of all, I am inclined to believe that she lives far from the shores of the US of A. Her accent is very difficult to understand. I specifically asked her why I had gotten blocked by KF. She rattled off some explanation about a conflict between my router and my modem that caused AT&T to believe that KF was a suspicious site. I didn't understand it and just marked it down as hogwash any way.

Perhaps they poked their heads in the late night club and discovered that members were cooking imaginary food on imaginary grills and decided that there is something amiss here.nananana

marymary100 - 21-9-2013 at 06:02

I think its certain members anti government diatribes, but I could be wrong. I've been wrong before,it was a Tuesday...