Karl`s PC Help Forums

How fully to adapt computer to broadband internet connection
scholar - 11-8-2013 at 02:48

I recently had some frustration, when the Radio Tuner on Windows Media Player series 9 refused to work because it could not connect through the telephone modem which I formerly used for my internet connection. I am now on a high-speed connection all the time, and the phone line is gone.

Just now, I tried to install a Radio program, Radio Tuna. I downloaded the installation program correctly through my highspeed connection. But, when I ran the installation program, it sought to connect through the phone modem to get additional files it announced it needed. I did not know how to get past this in the installation, so it failed.

How do I stop my computer from seeking the old internet connection through the phone modem?

Katzy - 11-8-2013 at 08:56

Which OS?

If you open the network and sharing center(sic), that should show all of your connections.

You may be getting hassles if you still have your old modem fitted, especially if the hardware's still installed on the computer.

marymary100 - 11-8-2013 at 10:43

He wouldn't still have his modem fitted if he's gone over to broadband, surely.

John Barnes - 11-8-2013 at 13:14

Is a wireless modem compatible with windows 3.1?jmb

LSemmens - 11-8-2013 at 13:58

If it's an internal modem, then, of course he will still have it fitted to the computer. As Katzy has suggested, try disabling it in control panel.

Redwolf5150 - 11-8-2013 at 14:13

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
He wouldn't still have his modem fitted if he's gone over to broadband, surely.

Of course he would, he's Scholar.

And don't call me Shirley.

waffler - 11-8-2013 at 16:52

Quote:

And don't call me Shirley.

Why Not :D

scholar - 11-8-2013 at 21:32

The fast-connection provider did not remove the phone-modem or software, he just put the new cable in the back and did whatever he needed to do to get the high-speed connection going. If I give up the high-speed service and go back to the phone modem, it is ready to use again.

scholar - 11-8-2013 at 23:49

Oh, I might also mention--he did this while I was at work at the food plant, so I did not have a say in how he did it.

LSemmens - 12-8-2013 at 00:07

Go to control panel, select internet options, select Connections tab, and delete all reference to dial up connections there.

scholar - 12-8-2013 at 00:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Which OS?

If you open the network and sharing center(sic), that should show all of your connections.

You may be getting hassles if you still have your old modem fitted, especially if the hardware's still installed on the computer.

I have WinXP Pro.

I opened "Network Connections" in the Control Panel and found two listed:

Dial-up
Juno-Manual [This is what I called the dial-up connection I set up for the phone modem]
Disconnected, Firewalled
Agere systems PCI Soft Modem

LAN or high-speed internet
Local Area Connection
Connected, Firewalled
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI F. . .

Neither of the listed connections has anything I can see that puts it as first choice or default (such as the checkmark by my preferred printer, for example).

I notice the dial-up modem is listed above the Local Area Connection. Is that positioning important? Is there a way to switch their positions, that would keep programs from prompting me to open my no-longer-functioning dial-up when I am already connected to the broadband connection?

LSemmens - 12-8-2013 at 10:31

What part of "delete all reference" do you not understand?

marymary100 - 12-8-2013 at 11:06

brshteeth "delete all reference" I'm guessing.

Katzy - 12-8-2013 at 11:49

Quote:

Dial-up
Juno-Manual [This is what I called the dial-up connection I set up for the phone modem] Disconnected, Firewalled
Agere systems PCI Soft Modem

KILL!

Redwolf5150 - 12-8-2013 at 13:22

Quote:
brshteeth "delete all reference" I'm guessing.

cheers:

Redwolf5150 - 12-8-2013 at 13:24

Actually, it's all a ploy by the Republican Matrix to keep you from accessing the full Internet at a realistic speed so that you can't learn the truth about all the lies FAUX News has been brainwashing you with all these years.

Just a theory, mind you.

kewl_glasses

scholar - 12-8-2013 at 21:52

When my broadband ends and my only way to connect to the internet at home is the phone line, I'm thinking I'll be at a disadvantage to have deleted everything that refers to the connection ability that enabled me to use my phone modem.

I was hoping that I could simply do something to mark it as not being the default connection(while I still have broadband), and then I would change it back later.

Katzy did not mention "delete all reference" in the post I quoted.

marymary100 - 12-8-2013 at 22:06

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Go to control panel, select internet options, select Connections tab, and delete all reference to dial up connections there.

This post preceded your question. It is your solution. Who would ever want to go back to dial up after having broadband?

LSemmens - 13-8-2013 at 01:21

Cross that bridge if you ever come to it.......

scholar - 13-8-2013 at 01:45

Quote:
Quote:

This post preceded your question. It is your solution. Who would ever want to go back to dial up after having broadband?

A person who cannot afford to pay all his present bills and all his taxes is likely to decide to cut his expenses. I lived more cheaply without broadband, and it looks as if I will do so again.

I am also giving up home garbage collection, to save $15 per month.

marymary100 - 13-8-2013 at 09:15

So what will happen to the rubbish you have?

And you should shop around for the best deal with broadband. There are comparison websites that do most of it for you.

LSemmens - 13-8-2013 at 09:30

If you are so educated, why are you not earning the big dollars? To me, $15 a month is hardly worth worrying about. Yes it adds up, but, think of the additional costs of fuel of transporting rubbish to the tip and the dump fees when you arrive "at the gate" or is it only OZ that charges you for the privilege of dumping rubbish?

marymary100 - 13-8-2013 at 11:06

We pay our monthly rates to the local council for everything like street lighting, bin collection, schools, roads, parks etc etc. We could not opt out of bin collection as a separate entity. Moreover if we have something in particular which won't fit into the bins we can take it to the collection point and put it into the correct skip - tvs there, computers here etc. A bunch of old chaps sit around all day to grab the stuff that will be valuable to them and the rest gets trashed. I'll wager that my monthly rate for everything is much cheaper than the American system of choice/private business.

Redwolf5150 - 13-8-2013 at 13:26

Quote:
We pay our monthly rates to the local council for everything like street lighting, bin collection, schools, roads, parks etc etc. We could not opt out of bin collection as a separate entity. Moreover if we have something in particular which won't fit into the bins we can take it to the collection point and put it into the correct skip - tvs there, computers here etc. A bunch of old chaps sit around all day to grab the stuff that will be valuable to them and the rest gets trashed. I'll wager that my monthly rate for everything is much cheaper than the American system of choice/private business.

drop_down

scholar - 13-8-2013 at 21:38

We're getting far afield from the problem I posed for this thread. I have two kinds of internet connection listed in Control Panel, and I am presently using a broadband local area connection, but some of my programs stubbornly try to use my phone modem to connect, and will not go to the next step (such as, fetching a file needed for a program installation), even though I have a broadband connection open. I expect to be using my phone modem again in the near future, so I do not dare delete that connection. What do I do now?

LSemmens - 14-8-2013 at 01:38

Delete the connection, I cannot say it any simpler. setting it up again is only as hard as re-entering the phone number and username/password combo which will likely be changed since you cancelled the dialup connection anyway.

Redwolf5150 - 14-8-2013 at 02:07

Here's a NOVEL solution to your problem...

TRY DOING WHAT EVERYONE IS TELLING YOU TO DO!

Sorry if my plain English still goes over your head.

scholar - 14-8-2013 at 02:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150

Well, if I don't want to be able to connect to the internet again, I could do that.

But then, what purpose would the benefit of installing the Radio Player, that is blocked by the phone modem box popping up? If I cannot get onto the internet anymore, it won't play radio feeds from internet sites, either.

Redwolf5150 - 14-8-2013 at 02:12

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Quote:

Well, if I don't want to be able to connect to the internet again, I could do that.

But then, what purpose would the benefit of installing the Radio Player, that is blocked by the phone modem box popping up? If I cannot get onto the internet anymore, it won't play radio feeds from internet sites, either.

I can see why you were never in the military.

drop_down

marymary100 - 14-8-2013 at 07:49

Are you this resistant to suggestions at work? If so, it may explain why you've not risen to the giddy heights yet.

John Barnes - 14-8-2013 at 12:36

Go onto Google and ask how to make your LAN your fast one the default connection if you feel you don't want to delete your phone line connection
remember Google is your friend/ jmb

Redwolf5150 - 14-8-2013 at 19:01

Quote:
Are you this resistant to suggestions at work? If so, it may explain why you've not risen to the giddy heights yet.

I bet he don't argue with da wife.

lips_sealed

scholar - 14-8-2013 at 22:18

Quote:

If my employer wants to pay me to do something that is self-defeating--well, he has hired me to do the work assigned, and he will bear the consequences, good or bad.

I have never had my employer tell me to delete software, of which he has no other copy, which action will prevent connection to the Internet later.

I might mention--the guy who built my used-parts computer at his shop installed the OS and drivers with his broadband connection at the shop. Once my broadband ends, I will no longer have means to reinstall anything I have deleted.

LSemmens - 15-8-2013 at 01:36

I GIVE UP! Don't worry about it, Scholar, your problem is of your own making, if you won't heed advice, why ask for it?

scholar - 15-8-2013 at 02:42

Quote:
I GIVE UP! Don't worry about it, Scholar, your problem is of your own making, if you won't heed advice, why ask for it?

No, I did not make the problem. I did not install the phone modem--my computer tech who made the computer did. I did not make the broadband connection--the guy whom my provider sent installed it in my absence. I need both connections available--broadband now while I have it, and telephone modem when my broadband account expires--so deleting the means of connection I will be needing is not a workable option.

Redwolf5150 - 15-8-2013 at 05:17

Then kindly call one of THEM to come sort out your mess since you OBVIOUSLY don't intend to listen to anything WE tell you.

just saying...

kewl_glasses

Katzy - 15-8-2013 at 12:44

Removing the modem would mean taking the side off, undoing a screw, pulling off a small cable and pulling it out.

If you need to put it back, do the reverse.

When you boot-up, XP will find it (and reinstall it, if it needs to) and use it.

It really is as simple as that.

LSemmens - 15-8-2013 at 12:58

It;s not even that complex Katzy, horses, water, springs to mind.

FWIW it is your own doing scholar, as you WILL NOT take the solutions offered.

marymary100 - 15-8-2013 at 15:43

Classic trolling though eh...;)

Redwolf5150 - 15-8-2013 at 15:50

Quote:
Classic trolling though eh...;)

penguinypenguinypenguinypenguinypenguinypenguinypenguinypenguiny

John Barnes - 15-8-2013 at 17:24

I found out years ago that XP does not like or accommodates for a fast broadband set up, so I deleted it it when I went to Windows 7 and installed the fast LAN connection, telephone modems are so last century Scholar. I am afraid if we get flooded again you will go the way of the Dinosaurs, jmb

scholar - 15-8-2013 at 17:31

Quote:
It;s not even that complex Katzy, horses, water, springs to mind.

FWIW it is your own doing scholar, as you WILL NOT take the solutions offered.

Disabling my computer for the phone line by deleting what I will need to connect to the internet , without any instruction as to how to restore it, is not a "solution"--it is a problem worse than the problem with which I want help, because it would cut me off from getting any driver or file I might need to reconnect, and it would cut me off from KF with the result that I could not get help.

Now, Katzy has some constructive information:

Quote:
Removing the modem would mean taking the side off, undoing a screw, pulling off a small cable and pulling it out.

If you need to put it back, do the reverse.

When you boot-up, XP will find it (and reinstall it, if it needs to) and use it.

It really is as simple as that.

I did not know this. I hail back to the days when a person got a CD (or even a floppy) with the modem, which had the drivers on it. If you lost the CD or floppy, woe to you, unless you had an internet connection over which you could download what you needed. For that very reason, I always had a second computer with a working modem ready to get files or help if the number one computer failed.

I don't have the original Windows XP Pro CD. Can I be sure, in advance of physically removing the modem, that XP won't require that I put in the Installation CD, like Win98 used to?

Katzy - 15-8-2013 at 19:52

Depends on the modem. For some years, now, those things have been pretty generic and there are only a few different drivers that work with all. They're on the XP installation, in the c:windowssystem32 directory, somewhere, if I remember right.

Simple solution, as a belt'n'braces thing, would be to get the drivers, now. Then, if you need to reinstall it, at a later date, you'll have them, ready and waiting. :)

scholar - 15-8-2013 at 19:56

Quote:
Simple solution, as a belt'n'braces thing, would be to get the drivers, now. Then, if you need to reinstall it, at a later date, you'll have them, ready and waiting. :)

I like the way you think!:Dwaveysmiley

Katzy - 15-8-2013 at 20:21

The simplest way is, usually, the... er... simplest. :)

Redwolf5150 - 16-8-2013 at 02:19

What would the boy do if he had to replace a sound or graphics card?

haily

John Barnes - 16-8-2013 at 09:22

Quote:

haily

He would do it easy he is fount of all knowledge is avatar icon says so
shocked_yellow

scholar - 16-8-2013 at 11:47

Quote:

haily

I have. I have built and repaired computers before But, I either had the drivers and programs I needed on removable media, or I had a working internet connection.