Karl`s PC Help Forums

Guide me in removing files from hard drive
scholar - 4-7-2013 at 14:52

My accumulation of files over the years seems to be weighing down my machine's speed and performance.

I don't even know how many files I may have from browsers saving something to speed things along if i visit the same page again, or files that represent incomplete downloads. Also, I have had to do an abrupt restart (interrupt the power and restart without the proper shut-down sequence) many times, and I don't know how many unneeded files this might have left on the machine.

But, I don't want to accidentally delete a file that is used by a program which will, for lack of that file, grind to a halt.

I have an icon on my desktop that says ccleaner. Is it a good choice to use?

I have recently noticed a Google chrome icon on my desktop, which I never intentionally installed. Will removal of that program help me free up significant hard drive space?

My hard drive is only 80 Gb, so a savings that would seem small on a more modern machine might help me.

Who cares to help me?

(This sounds like the sort of thing our recently-returned Top Cat used to help on.)

marymary100 - 4-7-2013 at 16:46

First of all tell people what type of computer you have, what OS you use and what programmes you definitely want to keep because you use them from time to time. (It's likely you need Flash but you may also need Quick Time etc etc)

Personally I go into Add/Remove programmes and do it one by one when I need to free up space. I removed Google Earth recently which although fun took up far too much space - haha.

scholar - 4-7-2013 at 17:10

My OS is Win XP Pro and my computer was put together by a friend at a local computer shop.

marymary100 - 4-7-2013 at 17:16

Start here then

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307895

Topcat - 4-7-2013 at 18:34

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
My accumulation of files over the years seems to be weighing down my machine's speed and performance.

I don't even know how many files I may have from browsers saving something to speed things along if i visit the same page again, or files that represent incomplete downloads. Also, I have had to do an abrupt restart (interrupt the power and restart without the proper shut-down sequence) many times, and I don't know how many unneeded files this might have left on the machine.

But, I don't want to accidentally delete a file that is used by a program which will, for lack of that file, grind to a halt.

I have an icon on my desktop that says ccleaner. Is it a good choice to use?

I have recently noticed a Google chrome icon on my desktop, which I never intentionally installed. Will removal of that program help me free up significant hard drive space?

My hard drive is only 80 Gb, so a savings that would seem small on a more modern machine might help me.

Who cares to help me?

(This sounds like the sort of thing our recently-returned Top Cat used to help on.)

Hello Scholar

Not an easy mission, some files you consider useful others would think of as junk.
Two things you can do that might help, firstly use Internet Options to clear your Junk/temp files .
Secondly, Clear out all your deleted emails that are sitting in Outlook Express.

See how that goes. as with all these things watch what your clicking on, and do a restore point before you start.

Tocat. waggyfingerconfused2

scholar - 4-7-2013 at 18:48

I found it in Control Panel. It is giving me an opportunity to "delete all offline content stored locally." Do I want to do that?

I always use Opera, so it is fine with me if I delete everything associated with Internet Explorer that won't cripple it. (I know MS used to claim that IE was so merged with Windows that you couldn't sell a working Windows OS without it.)

Topcat - 4-7-2013 at 21:17

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
I found it in Control Panel. It is giving me an opportunity to "delete all offline content stored locally." Do I want to do that?

I always use Opera, so it is fine with me if I delete everything associated with Internet Explorer that won't cripple it. (I know MS used to claim that IE was so merged with Windows that you couldn't sell a working Windows OS without it.)

Not sure what you found, but, follow the links below.

Control Panel > Internet options > Browsing History >
Settings > Temporary Int Files > View files.

Then decide what you want to do, Delete all or be selective
Is there a lot or a little, if only a little space used ?? leave as is.

Topcat.

LSemmens - 5-7-2013 at 01:08

My process in Firefox is to always set "clear history when firefox closes". I also run ccleaner regularly checking every option I can save for Autocomplete and Saved Passwords, wipe free space is optional (but it does take time for no saving ).

I also run their registry clean with all options checked and never save backups of the "cleaned" objects.

WORD OF WARNING: Some people have reported problems with cCleaner such that a reload has been necessary. I've never experienced these issues, but, I am always prepared to perform a reload if necessary. i.e.I always have a backup of critical files.

Another good space hog can be windoze rollback, I never use it and always turn system restore off, again, the above caveats apply.

scholar - 5-7-2013 at 01:27

Now that you've brought it up, Leigh, I must admit to Top Cat that I didn't do a restore point. I've never done one, and the one time I tried, I think I didn't have the storage I needed to do it.

scholar - 5-7-2013 at 14:29

Hmmmmm. . .
I thought I would try the "delete offline content" option, and it appeared to be erasing a lot, to the point that I wondered if I'd made a dreadful mistake. But it has now stopped, after freeing up about 400 Mb.

I'm thinking that if I have not lost something vital, that's a good amount--much better than going through many documents and files, one at a time.:D

What next?

Katzy - 5-7-2013 at 19:57

Have a look at your "temp" directory/directories.

They often get full of crap.

I believe, on XP, they're in Documents and settings>name>local settings and in all users>local settings.

If you have a vague clue about what you're doing, XP leaves a load of junk in Application Data, too. Be VERY careful, in there, though.

LSemmens - 6-7-2013 at 01:25

Which is why I suggest cCleaner, Katzy, at least you don't cause as many issues in ignorance there.

abbs2002 - 18-8-2013 at 12:15

If you want to delete all the temp files and folders go to Start >> Run and type in %temp% then click on OK or hit enter, temp folder will have all you temp files and folders highlight all of them and right click and chose delete it might take sometimes to delete the files and folders depends on haw many you have there, some files and folders will not be removed because they are being used at the time.
You can also double click on my computer and right click the C drive go to properties then under the chart click on the Disk Cleaner to clean the hard drive when the window opens tick all the boxes and click OK it will show you how much space you will recover.
When you d a lot of deletion there will be gaps created in your hard drive so you will need to defrag your hard drive and that will free more space for you to use, once you have finished deleting all the files, folders and not needed application the its a good idea to use defragmenter, to use that tool go to my computer right click the C drive, click on properties at the top of that window click on TOOLS then click on Defragment now, this tool will free up more space on your hard drive but it might take sometimes to finish doing so.
Also you will nee to use you antivirus if you have one installed and up to date that will help your system, after taking all these steps you PC should improve a lot if not than you would need to add more RAM to you computer.