Karl`s PC Help Forums

Outlook Express
Nimuae - 24-4-2013 at 05:57

This has been my main email reader for more years than I care to remember. Today - it has demanded a password - then rejected it, although it is one of only two that i use for emails.

There is no option for reteiving/resetting password that I can see - how on earth can I access my email ?

John_Little - 24-4-2013 at 08:36

Are you sure its not a capslock thing? The only password I ever get asked for is the password for my regular email account.

Nimuae - 24-4-2013 at 08:38

No - not capslock. It has occasional asked for a password in the past but as I only use two in there it is usually OK. Today it just won't let me in with either of them. Have tried rebooting - even done a system restore !

John_Little - 24-4-2013 at 09:36

What email account is it? Can you access it without using outlook? If its Tiscali/talk talk lineone etc its easy. AOL is the same, I believe (although its a long time since I used that). Just log in on line.

marymary100 - 24-4-2013 at 15:34

Hotmail are in the process of updating their security and locked me out a couple of weeks ago. They keep asking me various security things like my mobile number etc so that if it needs reset they will send a code. Isn't there something like that?

sceptre - 24-4-2013 at 18:23

You should be able to access your mail direct re. webmail ect.
There does seem be an issue with O.E. and more modern versions of windows and changing to Windows Live Mail is normally the prefered option ( unless you meant Outlook and not Outlook Express .

marymary100 - 24-4-2013 at 18:30

Hotmail have moved over to Live Mail - I can't say it's an improvement so far. I noticed that I am getting pictures of the people who are sending me e-mails now so there are all sorts of privacy issues. Just because I e-mail someone and they reply, it does not follow that we want to know what the other person looks like.

LSemmens - 25-4-2013 at 01:09

As has been said, we need to know the domain, i.e. hotmail, gmail, ISP? Most services do have the option to re-set your password and then you can change it to something you can remember.

FWIW: I have a file stored somewhere accessible with all of my account names and passwords in it.

Nimuae - 25-4-2013 at 05:41

Surprise, surprise - just switched on PC and Outlook Express loaded itself normally - without the benefit of a password at all - seriously weird !

scholar - 25-4-2013 at 23:05

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Hotmail have moved over to Live Mail - I can't say it's an improvement so far. I noticed that I am getting pictures of the people who are sending me e-mails now so there are all sorts of privacy issues. Just because I e-mail someone and they reply, it does not follow that we want to know what the other person looks like.

And, just imagine if they were unclothed when they sent the e-mail, not realizing their picture would be sent as well!

:jester)

Topcat - 3-7-2013 at 17:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
No - not capslock. It has occasional asked for a password in the past but as I only use two in there it is usually OK. Today it just won't let me in with either of them. Have tried rebooting - even done a system restore !

Are you sure it's OE that wants the PW and not your ISP.
you often get that message if the ISP is down.
Don't change anything, wait a while and see if it comes back on line

Topcat.

delanti - 6-7-2013 at 20:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Surprise, surprise - just switched on PC and Outlook Express loaded itself normally - without the benefit of a password at all - seriously weird !

I use Thunderbird and my ISP for my primary email. On occasion when connecting it gives me the same thing. But knowing I have not changed my PW and not wanting to, I shut it down and ignore it for a while. When I go back, it works fine until the last hic cup. Like I always told my Sister, you are dealing with electronics and if that 1 or 0 gets buggered so do you.waveysmiley