Karl`s PC Help Forums

Bookmarks
charles - 5-1-2013 at 15:19

Is there an easy way of getting to bookmarks on firefox ? I have to open another program to get to the bookmark tab before I can use it

victor - 5-1-2013 at 16:03

Bookmarks open at the top of my FF.

Nimuae - 5-1-2013 at 16:05

Charles - I am on Firefox - and my bookmarks are all listed in the 'view pane' on the left of the screen, I imported them all in one go from my previous browser. There is also a bookmark option on the toolbar for creating new ones

charles - 6-1-2013 at 10:21

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
You must have a diiferent toolbar to me mine does not appear like that.....waveysmiley

charles - 6-1-2013 at 10:22

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimuae
Charles - I am on Firefox - and my bookmarks are all listed in the 'view pane' on the left of the screen, I imported them all in one go from my previous browser. There is also a bookmark option on the toolbar for creating new ones

Nothing is listed on left hand side of mine,thanks....waveysmiley

Nimuae - 6-1-2013 at 10:40

Clixk on 'view', choose 'sidebar' from the first drop down menu, then 'bookmarks' from the second one.

charles - 6-1-2013 at 10:58

Quote:
Clixk on 'view', choose 'sidebar' from the first drop down menu, then 'bookmarks' from the second one.

Is there anyway it could be put on the desktop ? What I have to do is ,
from desktop got to a prog. then select bookmarks from top right corner,
I wondered if there was an easy way to get the bookmarks >>>.confused2

charles - 6-1-2013 at 10:59

Quote:
Originally posted by victor

How do you attach an image like the one you did ?????smokin:

Nimuae - 6-1-2013 at 12:51

Use the 'print screen' button.

charles - 6-1-2013 at 13:29

Quote:
Use the 'print screen' button.

Where is it ???confused2confused2confused2

LSemmens - 7-1-2013 at 00:24

At the top of the keyboard above the navigation keys. paste it into paint and save as a JPG then attach it as you would any other image.

as for bookmarks right click on the menu bar in FF and select Bookmarks Toolbar.

charles - 8-1-2013 at 10:07

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
At the top of the keyboard above the navigation keys. paste it into paint and save as a JPG then attach it as you would any other image. [/quote

]Found print button but could you explain what to do from the very beginning please as I am a bit thick here.

Katzy - 8-1-2013 at 11:25

With some machines, you need to press the "Fn" or "Ctrl" key at the same time that you press the "PrtSc" key. Then you'll be able to paste it into Paint (Or whatever).

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen

Some Paint programs have a "Capture screen" option, too.

charles - 8-1-2013 at 13:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
With some machines, you need to press the "Fn" or "Ctrl" key at the same time that you press the "PrtSc" key. Then you'll be able to paste it into Paint (Or whatever).

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen

Some Paint programs have a "Capture screen" option, too.

Fancy a Chelsea fan helping a United fan, you will make John furious,
What I learnt from your link was ..press alt and shift at the same time as print screen, but how do you just take a part of what you want to copy ?

grayles - 8-1-2013 at 13:42

Charles,
if you have Windows 7 then,
start>all prgrams>accessories>snipping tool.

A small "snipping tool" screen should appear and the screen behind will grey out a bit.

Your curser will also change to a cross, use the cross to left click and highlight the desired part of your screen you wish to copy and let go of the left mose button.

Another screen should then appear with your selected copy which you can save and use.

charles - 8-1-2013 at 13:49

Quote:
Originally posted by grayles
Charles,
if you have Windows 7 then,
start>all prgrams>accessories>snipping tool.

A small "snipping tool" screen should appear and the screen behind will grey out a bit.

Your curser will also change to a cross, use the cross to left click and highlight the desired part of your screen you wish to copy and let go of the left mose button.

Another screen should then appear with your selected copy which you can save and use.

Cheers,worked a treat,but where does it go when you click save

grayles - 8-1-2013 at 16:00

You choose where you save it.
When you click save, a pop up screen appears that gives you the chance to rename it (the default name is "capture") and lets you browse to where to save it, my default location is the desktop.

In this case I would rename it to "karlsforum pic" and leave the location as the desktop so I could find it easily.

charles - 8-1-2013 at 17:28

Quote:
You choose where you save it.
When you click save, a pop up screen appears that gives you the chance to rename it (the default name is "capture") and lets you browse to where to save it, my default location is the desktop.

In this case I would rename it to "karlsforum pic" and leave the location as the desktop so I could find it easily.

Thank you, I now understand that.....waveysmiley

charles - 8-1-2013 at 17:48

Grayels,
I had a go at that but not all worked out, got the sniping tool opened,clicked new,then it says draw the cross around the item but then you have to close it to go to the item you want to copy, by that time the cross has gone...confused2confused2confused2

charles - 8-1-2013 at 18:11

I can paste it on to word processor but when I try it on the test prog. on thse forums the paste is greyed out ....confused2confused2confused2

dr john - 8-1-2013 at 18:35

Quote:
Originally posted by charles
Is there an easy way of getting to bookmarks on firefox ? I have to open another program to get to the bookmark tab before I can use it

This makes no sense at all!
Your bookmarks in firefox are stored by firefox and opened by firefox.
So you are not opening your firefox bookmarks, but something else. So start by giving us a clue as to what this other program is that you are using to open bookmarks with, and also how are you creating your bookmarks.

Or are you really trying to open bookmarks from a different browser that you once used before starting on firefox???

charles - 8-1-2013 at 20:51

Quote:
Originally posted by dr john
Quote:

This makes no sense at all!
Your bookmarks in firefox are stored by firefox and opened by firefox.
So you are not opening your firefox bookmarks, but something else. So start by giving us a clue as to what this other program is that you are using to open bookmarks with, and also how are you creating your bookmarks.

Or are you really trying to open bookmarks from a different browser that you once used before starting on firefox???

What I mean to say is, when your pc comes on it has a desktop with icons on it, to get to the bookmark tab you have to open a prog. say Ask Jeeves or similar before the bookmark tab is visible,do you now understand ???

grayles - 8-1-2013 at 23:41

Charles,
here is a link to a utube vid that shows you how to use the snipping tool, the first1.5 mins show you what you need,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcFOoNR9vI

With the bookmarks there should be a star symbol in the top left of firefox. If not then right click the very top line n firefox and check if there is a tick next to the boookmarks toolbar, if not then click on this to select it.

Or do you mean you want a shortcut folder on your desktop with all your favourites in? You used to be able to do this with IE but I don't think you can with Firefox. You could open up Firefox click on bookmarks, right click and copy individual bookmarks then goto your desktop and right click and paste shortcut. This would work for favourites you use all the the time but is a bit long winded method.

LSemmens - 8-1-2013 at 23:53

Sorry I've been gone for most of this. You cannot c&p directly into your browser, you must first save an image of the cut item and then attach/import said image into whichever site you desire.

Dreamweaver - 9-1-2013 at 00:43

When I use Firefox ( windows 7 ) and want to save a site, I move the curser to "bookmarks" it then produces a drop down menu, if you select "bookmark this page" there are options.
If you select "folder" and highlight it, it gives you options, if you select "bookmark toolbar" the site should appear across the top of your window (as Victor's picture shows )...or you can create a new folder or leave it on your bookmark menu.

My advise would be play around with it Charles, you can always delete...

LSemmens - 9-1-2013 at 01:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver
My advise would be play around with Charles, you can always delete...
I wouldn't do that, if I were you, DW, Mrs Charles may come after you with a mob of angry MU supporters. You'd be better off letting Mrs Charles play around with him.....waggyfinger

Dreamweaver - 9-1-2013 at 01:16

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Quote:
My advise would be play around with Charles, you can always delete...
I wouldn't do that, if I were you, DW, Mrs Charles may come after you with a mob of angry MU supporters. You'd be better off letting Mrs Charles play around with him.....waggyfinger

lol Ooops typo (corrected) nananana

charles - 9-1-2013 at 09:53

Quote:
When I use Firefox ( windows 7 ) and want to save a site, I move the curser to "bookmarks" it then produces a drop down menu, if you select "bookmark this page" there are options.
If you select "folder" and highlight it, it gives you options, if you select "bookmark toolbar" the site should appear across the top of your window (as Victor's picture shows )...or you can create a new folder or leave it on your bookmark menu.

My advise would be play around with it Charles, you can always delete...

Thank you boss.....,waveysmiley

charles - 9-1-2013 at 09:59

Quote:
Charles,
here is a link to a utube vid that shows you how to use the snipping tool, the first1.5 mins show you what you need,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcFOoNR9vI

With the bookmarks there should be a star symbol in the top left of firefox. If not then right click the very top line n firefox and check if there is a tick next to the boookmarks toolbar, if not then click on this to select it.

Or do you mean you want a shortcut folder on your desktop with all your favourites in? You used to be able to do this with IE but I don't think you can with Firefox. You could open up Firefox click on bookmarks, right click and copy individual bookmarks then goto your desktop and right click and paste shortcut. This would work for favourites you use all the the time but is a bit long winded method.

Fantastic, just what I needed thanks,I will give it a go....waveysmiley

dr john - 10-1-2013 at 00:02

Quote:

What I mean to say is, when your pc comes on it has a desktop with icons on it, to get to the bookmark tab you have to open a prog. say Ask Jeeves or similar before the bookmark tab is visible,do you now understand ???

You are NOT opening another program. Ask Jeeves is a web site.
You have a short cut to a web address saved on your desktop (!) and when you click on that to go to the web address your browser is opening! Just open your browser itself. Open Firefox and save any bookmarks in there.

I have recently come across some friends who save web addresses as short cuts on their desktop and don't understand that they can save things as a bookmark, or even as a site (in their case five important aviation sites they check every day before flying) which will open when the browser starts. Even after I set up their browser to open all five sites automatically, they still clicked short cuts on the desktop instead.

marymary100 - 10-1-2013 at 06:57

Imagine 20 of them in a room all not getting it though, and you've entered the world of teaching.

charles - 10-1-2013 at 10:11

Quote:
Originally posted by dr john
Quote:

You are NOT opening another program. Ask Jeeves is a web site.
You have a short cut to a web address saved on your desktop (!) and when you click on that to go to the web address your browser is opening! Just open your browser itself. Open Firefox and save any bookmarks in there.

I have recently come across some friends who save web addresses as short cuts on their desktop and don't understand that they can save things as a bookmark, or even as a site (in their case five important aviation sites they check every day before flying) which will open when the browser starts. Even after I set up their browser to open all five sites automatically, they still clicked short cuts on the desktop instead.

Ok I get the drift, perhaps when you get as old as John and I there may be something you are not clear about....waveysmiley

grayles - 10-1-2013 at 11:13

A shortcut on your desktop is just that, a shortcut.
Whether it's a shortcut to a program which could also be accessed by clicking through the start menu, or a shortcut to a webpage which can be accessed via bookmarks. It saves on clicking.
With a shortcut on your desktop it saves from also first having to wait for your homepage to open up.
I know that it's only a few clicks to open up your browser and access via your bookmarks, but if you take that view then surely the same could be said for any shortcut on your desktop.
Iíve not tried it yet but from what Iíve seen then Windows 8 does just this and takes away your desktop and your shortcuts. I like my desktop, itís mine, I can personalise it how I like it.
I actually use a few browsers, none set up as default, each with their own set of homepages. So I can open up whichever browser I want depending on what I am doing, also with bookmarks ready.
I also have several shortcuts on my desktop for frequently accessed webpages.
My wife prefers to have lots of shortcuts on her desktop.
My way of thinking is that it is best to do what you are used to or prefer, try new ways and make you own mind up.

dr john - 12-1-2013 at 12:07

Quote:

Ok I get the drift, perhaps when you get as old as John and I there may be something you are not clear about....waveysmiley

I haven't qualified for the description "young" for several years now.
Old is what I am. :(

dr john - 12-1-2013 at 12:09

Quote:
Originally posted by marymary100
Imagine 20 of them in a room all not getting it though, and you've entered the world of teaching.

Been there, done it, beat my head against the wall.