Karl`s PC Help Forums

boot question
DeWitch - 29-5-2011 at 20:30

Me again -
I have finally reformatted this piece of junk and I now have a HISSta on one partition - XP on another - programs on another -and everything else on my storage partition.
When it boots up it shows both XP and vista and gives me the choice of which to use, but if I am not at the PC at that moment it always boots up in vista. Is there a way I can change that?
Thanks for any help:)

LSemmens - 30-5-2011 at 04:12

Yes it can be changed, IIRC, look in control panel at boot options. I'm working on memory here, so I may be wrong.

DeWitch - 30-5-2011 at 13:13

Hi Leigh,

I looked under "system - advanced - startup & recovery - settings" in control panel and found that XP is considered the "default" OS, but when it boots up it is vista that is highlighted.

There is a button to edit the startup options file manually
(with notepad)
that brings up this:

"

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on Volume 1)"

[boot loader]
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
timeout=30"

but I don't know what to do with it - and there is no mention of vista. Maybe I have to do it in the vista control panel?

waffler - 30-5-2011 at 13:15

Try using the arrow keys to highlight the O.S. you want to use .:)

John Barnes - 30-5-2011 at 14:54

I think the reason your machine reverts to start up in XP, is because the older system must be installed first for a double boot system. so that makes it the default, the best way to find out if you can make Vista your default is to Google your question and it will give you the answer, jmb

DeWitch - 30-5-2011 at 21:43

Quote:
Originally posted by waffler

Hi Waffler - oh that is what I do.
I have no problem using which one I want but I wanted to find out how to make it boot into XP instead of vista if I happen to walk away from it when it is booting up.

DeWitch - 30-5-2011 at 21:46

Quote:
Originally posted by John Barnes
I think the reason your machine reverts to start up in XP, is because the older system must be installed first for a double boot system. so that makes it the default, the best way to find out if you can make Vista your default is to Google your question and it will give you the answer, jmb

Hi John:)
If that is what was happening I would be happy, but it isn't - I have to choose XP for it to boot up there - If I turn it on and forget to check it it automatically boots into vista
blech ha haha
And, of course XP was installed first so have no idea why it chooses vista to highlight

waffler - 30-5-2011 at 23:17

Quote:
Originally posted by DeWitch
Quote:

Hi Waffler - oh that is what I do.
I have no problem using which one I want but I wanted to find out how to make it boot into XP instead of vista if I happen to walk away from it when it is booting up.

I use Linux & Win 7 and there is an option somewhere to change time limit but not which to boot from first :(

John Barnes - 31-5-2011 at 01:05

Well Mrs Witchy.(Candace) just Google and ask how to make Xp the default boot up system hope it gives you a good answer
jmb:D

Katzy - 31-5-2011 at 09:20

http://www.petri.co.il/change-the-default-boot-partition-windows-vista.htm

LSemmens - 31-5-2011 at 11:53

That looks a lot like what I suggested, Katzy, but, I've been away from Windoze dual boot for so long, that may offer some more options, so worth a try Witchie.

John Barnes - 31-5-2011 at 11:56

That looks concise enough Katzy.jmb

DeWitch - 31-5-2011 at 12:00

This is fixed!
I figured out how to do it when I got up this monring - before I even had coffee:)
Thanks all

DeWitch - 31-5-2011 at 12:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
http://www.petri.co.il/change-the-default-boot-partition-windows-vista.htm

Hi Katzy, I just posted that I figured out how to fix it a few minutes ago and this is exactly what I did.

I had been trying to do it in XP -
RIGHT PLACE/WRONG OS:)

scholar - 31-5-2011 at 12:05

Candace, you've got to tell us what did the trick. Somebody's going to have the same duel boot problem and the search engines will list this KF thread. ;) Did your solution resemble Katzy's link, or did you do something else?

LSemmens - 31-5-2011 at 12:16

That is exactly what she said, Scholar. Same place, wrong OS.

DeWitch - 31-5-2011 at 13:05

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
Candace, you've got to tell us what did the trick. Somebody's going to have the same duel boot problem and the search engines will list this KF thread. ;) Did your solution resemble Katzy's link, or did you do something else?

Hi Scholar,
I put it HERE

waffler - 1-6-2011 at 00:45

Smart Girl :)

DeWitch - 1-6-2011 at 01:01

Quote:
Smart Girl :)

Desperation and lack of funds are good teachers;)
HUGS

waffler - 1-6-2011 at 01:03

They sure are and they save a lot of money :D

DeWitch - 1-6-2011 at 01:26

Quote:
They sure are and they save a lot of money :D

LSemmens - 1-6-2011 at 13:22

Being tight fisted also helps! ;)

DeWitch - 1-6-2011 at 13:44

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Being tight fisted also helps! ;)

and that I am haha ha;)

Redwolf5150 - 1-6-2011 at 14:07

The only reason I could see using Hista is so I could go out and get one of those new THREE TB external drives that Western Digital makes.

But I'll just wait until I get a new tower that is running Win 7 instead. I'll just keep my XP until then.

DeWitch - 2-6-2011 at 00:39

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
The only reason I could see using Hista is so I could go out and get one of those new THREE TB external drives that Western Digital makes.

But I'll just wait until I get a new tower that is running Win 7 instead. I'll just keep my XP until then.

I only put HISSta back on just in case I missed it since I had gotten used to it for nearly 2 years of use.
You DID notice that it is my SECOND choice of OS to boot up in didn't you?
Got Win 7 if I want it...
I don't
No mail program so can't keep up my addiction of making scripted stationery.
As far as a new tower - I don't think I will ever buy another one that is pre-setup.
Found a place that builds them the way you want them and you put what you want in for OS.
AND they are even American made.