Karl`s PC Help Forums

no sound on laptop
ThePest1962 - 8-11-2010 at 07:55

Hi this is for a friend. He had a laptop that was running on vista which he didnt like so re-installed xp now he has no sound at all.. in control panel/sound the box is greyed out it aslo says no sound device. when he boots the laptop it says new hardware found.. high def audio bus something. the little speaker icon is also missing from his task bar. he has no disks with the laptop as its fairly old any ideas guys please. when he boots up a box comes up .. new hardware found (high def Audio bus)it says install drivers etc but it cant find any ideas please guys its drivin him mad!!shocked_yellow ps tryed a rol back still no sound

LSemmens - 8-11-2010 at 11:48

Welcome to the nut house. Some information on the make and model of the lappy will go a long way to solving the problem.

What has happened is that drivers (little programs) that tell Windows how to address the hardware are missing and you'll need to explore the manufacturer's website for the specific drivers suitable to a) that machine and b) to that version of Windoze.

ThePest1962 - 8-11-2010 at 13:29

The make n modle are as follows Fujitsu Siemens Amilo li 1705 he has now installed windows seven as "his mate" said it would fix the problem lol it hasnt :smash) he now has his little sound speaker back on the taskbar tho (lol) it has a red cross over it. when clicked on it says..hardware changes may not have been detected with a exclamation sign. on palyback devices it says.. no audio devices are installed.in device manager high def audio controller says this device is working properly driver details.c/win syst32/ drivers/ hdaudbus.sys dont know if any of this help lol
ps
found ..Windows_7_Drivers_for_...mens_Amilo_LI_1705.zip ? will that help? ty

also what do i do with these when downloaded

Katzy - 8-11-2010 at 17:27

If you dearchive the zip, there's probably a "setup.exe" file. Just run that.

If those drivers don't work, it might just be worth getting the official ones from here:

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/support/downloads.html

ThePest1962 - 8-11-2010 at 23:30

when i open the zip file in above post the drivers come out in individual folders no exe dont know what to do with these help please. Official site says windows vista compat no windows seven please please someone helpppp cry_mouse i have trawled the net trying diff stuff none of it works its driving me mad (no pun intended) i have never been beaten by a pc/laptop even tho my knowledge is very very basic

the bear - 8-11-2010 at 23:46

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePest1962
when i open the zip file in above post the drivers come out in individual folders no exe dont know what to do with these help please. Official site says windows vista compat no windows seven please please someone helpppp cry_mouse i have trawled the net trying diff stuff none of it works its driving me mad (no pun intended) i have never been beaten by a pc/laptop even tho my knowledge is very very basic

At this time of night you may have to wait till one of our Tekkie experts sees it, probably tomorrow.

Best regard the Bear

Katzy - 9-11-2010 at 10:44

In that case, go to "Add hardware" and select "Have disk", when you get to that part and point it to those files.

LSemmens - 10-11-2010 at 14:11

Katzy is on the money, Pest, I shall leave you in her capable hands.

ThePest1962 - 10-11-2010 at 16:50

geeeeerrrr says no drivers found even tho the file folders say VIA High Def audio drivers along with other drivers etc tryed searching c drive nothing...any more ideas please

Katzy - 10-11-2010 at 17:22

At a pinch, you could use Realtek's hd drivers.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3 &GetDown=false

I've yet to find a soundcard that doesn't work, using them.

ThePest1962 - 10-11-2010 at 17:32

driver has installed as no exclamation mark on audio but speaker on tas still has red X on it and when booted up the laptop say installing hardware, failed no drivers found when speaker is clicked on it says no audio device :smash)

Katzy - 10-11-2010 at 19:12

In that case, try uninstalling it. Then, reboot.

You never know, it might automagically find it, then. ;)

ThePest1962 - 10-11-2010 at 22:03

:comp) tryed still the same says installing driver but no sound n still got red X silly idea maybe is it worth gonin back to the vista or xp and trying from there? or is it best to leave it on win 7..he has no progs installed not bothering till sound is sorted

waffler - 11-11-2010 at 01:26

If Win 7 doesn't find the drivers , you may have a big problem . Then again you may have to reinstall original O.S. to use drivers from site .

LSemmens - 11-11-2010 at 13:24

I got caught with a system that did not want to play, in the end I had to re-install Windoze and install the drivers then.

If you can afford the time, the easiest solution would be to download all relevant drivers from the MFGs website, store them on a USB stick then re-format and re-load, installing the drivers one at a time and ensuring that they work before continuing with the next one.

Windows 7 is a vast improvement over previous versions so it may be worth persisting otherwise go back to the OS that was installed ex-factory, preferably using the official recovery disk. You could also experiment with one of the popular Linux distros, UBUNTU is popular and runs from a live CD so you don't even have to change your Windoze partition until you decide to keep it. Oh! Did I mention, it is also Free!