Karl`s PC Help Forums

Hp Slimline s5114f
dtr204 - 30-10-2009 at 04:15

Its been a long time since i have sought the consult of the great people of KF. But i assure you this is the first place i stop (after google of course) when ever i have a major pc problem.

My GF bought this pc about a week ago, and it worked great for about 15 minutes before it froze with a jumbled screen)

Similar screenshots here : http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=lockups&thread.id=4019

It seems to happen most when doing something graphic intensive such as a game or video. But will also happen randomly or even when the computer is completely idle.

Thought it might just be the usual vista bugs, so i installed xp 64...with the same results

specs are as follows:

xp x64 pro and/
Vista x64
Amd Athelon 7550 dual core
2.52 ghz processor
4 gigs ram
GeForce 6150Se nForce430 graphics

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Topcat - 30-10-2009 at 09:03

Quote:
Originally posted by dtr204
Its been a long time since i have sought the consult of the great people of KF. But i assure you this is the first place i stop (after google of course) when ever i have a major pc problem.

My GF bought this pc about a week ago, and it worked great for about 15 minutes before it froze with a jumbled screen)

Similar screenshots here : http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=lockups&thread.id=4019

It seems to happen most when doing something graphic intensive such as a game or video. But will also happen randomly or even when the computer is completely idle.

Thought it might just be the usual vista bugs, so i installed xp 64...with the same results

specs are as follows:

xp x64 pro and/
Vista x64
Amd Athelon 7550 dual core
2.52 ghz processor
4 gigs ram
GeForce 6150Se nForce430 graphics

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Try turning down the graphics Hardware acceleration in the control panel > Display settings > advanced

Topcat.

Daz - 30-10-2009 at 12:48

You probably already have, but just in case, check for any driver updates HERE

You could also check the nVidia Drivers here and select the GeForce 6 series drivers.

I would also check the temps of the unit. The HP software might have something in there already, you could download a third party app, or just simply check in the BIOS and in there, there should be a hardware page that will hopefully give you an idea of how hot (or not) it is running.

TC's advice above is good though, I had to do that at on my lappy when it was having issues at one point.

Keep us informed how things go.

LSemmens - 30-10-2009 at 13:54

I agree, it certainly does sound like graphics not behaving itself. If the machine is only a week old, I'd be taking advantage of the mfg's warranty and taking it back to place of purchase and saying, "fix!"

dtr204 - 30-10-2009 at 18:30

adjusted acceleration for performance instead of quality in the nvidea control panel.

Now instead of the jumbled screen i get a BSOD crash:
Driverirq not less than or equal'

driver in question is Athrxusb.sys

sounds to me like my usb drive somehow got anthrax :D

Anyway is it worth trying to reinstall that system file from the vista cd?

dtr204 - 30-10-2009 at 19:11

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
I agree, it certainly does sound like graphics not behaving itself. If the machine is only a week old, I'd be taking advantage of the mfg's warranty and taking it back to place of purchase and saying, "fix!"

floor model, got it at 60% off plus manufacture's rebate, i think that may be out of the question

dtr204 - 30-10-2009 at 19:44

after some research it looks like that driver file is my wireless usb adapter. I'm updating that now and will repost with the results

dtr204 - 30-10-2009 at 22:13

Updated the adapter driver and no crash yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help!

dtr204 - 30-10-2009 at 22:50

just crashed again. Didn't do it after all :(

Daz - 31-10-2009 at 01:15

Quote:
just crashed again. Didn't do it after all :(

Make and model of the WiFi dongle please? (I'm assuming it's an Atheros chip unit.)

I had a similar problem with my old Linksys USB adapter. The UK drivers made it crash, the US drivers, (slightly different version) worked properly.

dtr204 - 31-10-2009 at 15:45

Belkin wireless usb adapter 'G' family #f5d7050 p74470-h
version 4xxx

Daz - 31-10-2009 at 20:58

Just in case you do need them...

Belkin UK Site

Belkin US Site

dtr204 - 31-10-2009 at 21:25

ill try these. thanks

KOUROSH - 1-11-2009 at 08:42

you have bought a new pc with 4GB ram, in your thread there is nothing to suggest that after installing xp or vista you adjusted virtual memory. do you know what virtual memory is and how to adjust or not.

to my experience if you have all the update and you still get freeze then it is highly likely it is due to your virtual memory which must be adjusted.

dtr204 - 1-11-2009 at 15:38

I am indeed familiar with virtual memory, but from my experience, i let windows handle it unless there seems to be a problem ( which come to think of it now, there is ;)

I went to college way before days of 4gig ram machines and had no idea i should do anything with virtual memory, I'm gonna google around and see what i should change it to ( larger obviously ) but i'm open for advice as well

dtr204 - 1-11-2009 at 16:51

Set my virtrual mem to the standard 1.5*ram. We will see if that helps any.

Also 'pc health check'? popped up and told me to download a bios update. Turned out to be for pc's randomly stalling while playing video... It's like the computer is reading my mind now. M$ is gonna take over the world any day now :)

I'll post back if all is fixed

KOUROSH - 1-11-2009 at 17:06

for 4 gb ram usually something between 4.5 and 5 Gb would do for virtual memory (32bits) {window xp will tell you what it should be roughly}

Daz - 1-11-2009 at 20:12

Quote:
Set my virtrual mem to the standard 1.5*ram. We will see if that helps any.

Also 'pc health check'? popped up and told me to download a bios update. Turned out to be for pc's randomly stalling while playing video... It's like the computer is reading my mind now. M$ is gonna take over the world any day now :)

I'll post back if all is fixed

Firstly, highly unlikely you'll need to fiddle with your virtual RAM settings. Vista handles these pretty well TBH. Seeing you have 4gb, it makes it even less likely you'd need to mess it with, but that's only my opinion of course... ;)

Secondly.... Be VERY careful of popups appearing, and telling you to do something, or download something because blah needs updating, or blah has detected that blah is out of date, etc, etc, etc... At least it didn't ask you to shell out any money I suppose... ;)

If that popup was of nefarious means, (which is very possible) then it's quite likely you are now infected with some nasty or other. What security apps do you use, and are they up to date? (Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and Firewall)

I'd download Malwarebytes, update it, and then let it scan your system. It's an excellent anti-malware.

dtr204 - 1-11-2009 at 22:41

It was hp's advisor program that told me to do so. I know better than to listen to random popups. Plus the bios flasher came straight from hp's webiste.

So i adjusted my virtual memory and ran the bios update, then left for work. Came back home tonight with the same thing, but we're back to the bsod error about my wireless adapter. I'm sure now that this is what is causing my problem because come to think of it. Every time i crash i have to reinstall the drivers for the dongle. ( my device manager now shows 'Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter #5 ) But i'm not sure how to procede now. I guess i should just return the adapter and opt for something more reliable...I just don't like giving up. I want to fix this damn thing

dtr204 - 1-11-2009 at 22:55

btw i just realized i could show hidden devices in the device manager for vista. Seems to be an awful lot of devices listed here. But again, I learned M$ in the days of windows 2000 and xp. Vista is beyond me atm and i'm not sure if all these items should or should not be there:

- Belkin Wireless G USB Network adapter #5
- isatap .{2a0ca7a7-f374-440b-8791-5faf12317a1d}
- isatap.domain_not_set.invalid
- nvidia nforce 10/100 mbps ethernet
- teredo tunneling pseudo-interface
- wan miniport(ip)
- wan miniport (ipv6)
- wan miniport (L2tp)
- wan miniport (network monitor)
- wan miniport (pppoe)
- wan miniport (pptp)
- wan miniport (SSTP)

LSemmens - 2-11-2009 at 00:22

That list looks fairly normal for Vista. Is the machine stable without the wireless adaptor? Virtual memory is handled fairly well by all new versions of Windoze (XP on) and shouldn't need touching. It certainly does sound like a driver conflict.

I know that it's a pain, but by this stage I'd be taking things one step at a time, as follows.

Re-format and reload the OS
Ensure that all updates are installed
RE-load all your essential apps
load drivers for various add on components one at a time

A time of testing between each process and note when the problems start to occur, noting, exactly what you were doing at the time of the crash and what the last app installed was.

Quote:
floor model, got it at 60% off plus manufacture's rebate, i think that may be out of the question
That may not alleviate them of their responsibilities under the fair trading rules. Your local office of consumer affairs may be able to advise here.

dtr204 - 2-11-2009 at 01:09

if its gonna take an os reinstall, i'm just gonna replace the usb adapter. I have no desire to do all that work again. It was a real pain to even get xp to dual-boot with the vista that was already on the box. Something with the vista bootloader made this almost immposible...lol. For everyone else. don't buy belkin

Daz - 2-11-2009 at 01:17

This looks very similar to my old Linksys conflict, which was an RTLxxxUSB.sys driver problem. However that was solved by simply switching to the US driver which was more up to date than the UK one I was trying to use initially.

So... Some ramblings... ;)

First off, does Windows Update offer any WiFi drivers? If so, it might be worth letting M$ install their driver.

Which Atheros chip is in the Belkin unit? You should get an idea by going to the dongle in Device Manager, and in Properties>Details. Have a snoop in there, and see if you can gain any clues which Atheros chip is in use.

This will give a clue to what you are looking for. It'll also confirm if it's x64 compatible.

Have you tried installing the driver manually, rather than letting the Belkin installer do it? Info here

Finally, I've got a Belkin 7050 dongle here, v3 IIRC. I'll test this on my Vista x86 unit/s and see if it gives me any errors...

dtr204 - 2-11-2009 at 02:48

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz

First off, does Windows Update offer any WiFi drivers? If so, it might be worth letting M$ install their driver.

I'm fully updated as far as m$ is concerned

Quote:

Which Atheros chip is in the Belkin unit? You should get an idea by going to the dongle in Device Manager, and in Properties>Details. Have a snoop in there, and see if you can gain any clues which Atheros chip is in use. This will give a clue to what you are looking for. It'll also confirm if it's x64 compatible.

Driver node strong name

'oem66.inf:Atheros.NTamd64:ATHR_DEV_705C.ndi:2.2.0.27:usbvid_050d&pid_705c'

inf section
ATHR_DEV_705C.ndi

these are the only to references to atheros i see in the device manager details.

not sure what that tells me exactly

LSemmens - 2-11-2009 at 13:32

Just a thought, DTR, you loaded XP after Vista? That may well be your issue! When dual booting, always load the oldest OS first!

dtr204 - 3-11-2009 at 17:13

vista was preinstalled, xp was just to test if the error was caused by vista. Just had to reinstall the bootloader to get both working porperly, and there on seperate partitions so i don't think that would be the cause

dtr204 - 4-11-2009 at 03:28

Well all is solved. I broke down and got a linksys adapter to replace the pos belkin. Turns out alot of people had similar problems with this adapter with any 64 bit os so i'm just using the old one on a different pc now. Thanks for all the effort everyone put into this for me. It's a shame we couldn't resolve the matter for other's future reference :(

LSemmens - 4-11-2009 at 13:28

Well the situation is resolved, just not as elegantly as we'd all hoped.

dtr204 - 5-11-2009 at 05:22

oh well, there's always next time ;)