Karl`s PC Help Forums

I need a program to play music CDs on a Win95 computer
scholar - 3-6-2009 at 01:38

A friend has a Win95 computer, and her only stand-alone CD player has stopped working. I need a program that will enable her computer to play her CDs. It has a CD drive and a floppy drive, either of which I can use to transfer a program to her. It does not have an internet connection.

What would you suggest?

(If someone has an old program that they could send me by e-mail, hopefully small enough for a floppy, I could u2u my e-mail address. I'm aware some older programs get taken off the list at some websites after several newer versions have been developed.;) )

waffler - 3-6-2009 at 04:10

Try VLC or windows Media Player

waffler - 3-6-2009 at 04:12

VLC:)

scholar - 3-6-2009 at 04:55

The version for Win95 is 9 Mb.:o

Well, it won't fit on a floppy. :P:P

My USB thumb drive doesn't work on Win95.

That will mean either I burn a CD or I use my trusty old external Iomega Zip100 with the Guest program.

I'll want to be careful to keep the two versions of the program straight.

Waffler, are you sure the program will play straight from a music CD in the tray? I don't need some kind of software bridge or interface to read from a CD in music format instead of PC directory and file structure?

I think I remember somebody here keeps one of each Windows on the shop table so he can run any legacy software, but I don't remember who it is.

thread drift--I recall the story about the lady who didn't know what the tech guy was talking about when he spoke of the CD tray, until inspiration hit her--"Oh, you mean THE CUP HOLDER.":P:P:P

John_Little - 3-6-2009 at 07:50

Have you connected the audio lead from your CD drive to the sound card? You shouldn't actually need a programme to play CDs, I dont think.

Daz - 3-6-2009 at 09:01

VLC link for Win 95/98/ME Just in case you are going down the VLC route. Also, if you do you'll need to read this I'd also go for an older version, 0.84 or 85 is stable, IIRC.

Personlly, I'd not bother, IIRC 95 has a perfectly acceptable player built in. I'd use that, taking John's advice into account...

Couple of links though, anyway...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135315

http://www.winplanet.com/article/1919-.htm

scholar - 3-6-2009 at 15:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Personlly, I'd not bother, IIRC 95 has a perfectly acceptable player built in. I'd use that, taking John's advice into account...
I've got Win95 running on my Scholar's Rule computer. I'll find the CD player on it and learn it.

[Scholar's Rule: Keep a second computer in working order so you can use it to contact Karlsforums for help if you have trouble with your favorite computer.]:D

scholar - 5-6-2009 at 04:19

Daz was absolutely right, as usual!doffs_cap

I found "CD player," and it looks fine.

However, no music is coming out of the speakers (nor have I heard anything else through them). I am trying to diagnose the problem.

The speakers are rectangular speakers attached to both sides of a Packard-Bell CRT monitor from Win95 days. The speaker on the right has what appears to be a stereo cord that goes to the sound card jack. It also has a single jack on the bottom that accepts a mono cord from the other speaker. The speaker on the right has two rolling adjusters, one with a treble cleff sign on it and another with what I take to be a volume mark on it. (It looks a little like a comic book lettering exclamation point, wider at the top and narrow at the bottom.

However, I don't see any power source! Could it be unpowered speakers?

I tried to test the sound card by plugging in a little headphone set from a little cassette player/radio. I douldn't hear anything from any of the jacks, except a few connection noises when I connected to what I think is the microphone jack. However, I don't know if the impedence is right, since the headphones were not made for use with a computer.

Redwolf5150 - 5-6-2009 at 04:26

You get it sorted out, you shoot treat your friend to:

Joe Satrinani, Chad Smith, Mike Anthony, Sammy Hagar: CHICKENFOOT! Friday is "FOOT Day" Album in stores EVERYWHERE June 5, 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chickenfoot Info including European tour dates!

(Sorry, shameless plug for my boys!)

:D

Redwolf5150 - 5-6-2009 at 04:27

But on a more serious note:

Sounds (pardon the pun) like the sound card is either disconnected in the tower or toast.

kewl_glasses

scholar - 5-6-2009 at 04:38

The computer is a desk box, a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion. 233 Mhz, made for Windows 95 with it pre-installed. The hard drive is almost 3 Gb I think.

I haven't opened the box to check, but my guess is that the sound card circuitry is built into the motherboard. Someone who remembers the Pavilions from that era might be able to tell me. (I took a clue from the fact that the jacks are in a line parallel to the desk surface. I would expect them to be in a line perpendicular to the desk surface if they were on a sound card plugged into a motherboard desk box (not a tower box).

Jamie, I don't mind the plug for your favored album.;)

John_Little - 5-6-2009 at 08:06

Have you not got a headphone jackon the CD drive? I used to have on on my old W95 PC but not on the two dvd drives on my new NEC.

I fitted the CD drive myself to the old 95 pc and there was a separate and optional audio lead to enable you to play it as a stand-alone device.

But ordinary in-your-ear walkman-type phones should be fine. And the speakers could be battery powered. Have you checked to see if there is a battery compartment?

But if you get no sound at all, then I think RW is right. Either your soundcard has become dislodged or is defunct. Or, of course, you dont have one at all. you dont need one to make the bleeps and things. There used to be a pizzo buzzer in older PCs for that puropose.

scholar - 5-6-2009 at 12:33

John L, the HP Pavilion CD drive does not have a headphone jack.

The prognosis looks bleak. I may take the cover off the box, just to be sure (in case there is a sound card that can be replaced). But, as I said, the physical look of the jacks leads me to think it is "onboard sound."

LSemmens - 5-6-2009 at 15:17

I'd suggest that it is onboard sound. I can't remember if W95 has anything like Control Panel, but I'd be checking to see if the drivers are loaded and running. Are the monitor and speakers the ones that came with the computer?

Topcat - 5-6-2009 at 16:52

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
The computer is a desk box, a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion. 233 Mhz, made for Windows 95 with it pre-installed. The hard drive is almost 3 Gb I think.

Can you not be more specific as to the model number, there are a great number of "pavillion" models on the HP site, the exact model number would enable us to (or you) to identify the build specification and sound card status.

Topcat.

Topcat - 5-6-2009 at 16:56

Quote:

The prognosis looks bleak. I may take the cover off the box, just to be sure (in case there is a sound card that can be replaced). But, as I said, the physical look of the jacks leads me to think it is "onboard sound."

Presume you have checked the CD for workability, it maybe the whole CD drive is broke, in which case the sound issue is not the problem.
Use win Explorer to check if it will read a CD. of any type

Topcat.

Daz - 5-6-2009 at 19:55

Quote:

A sound card can be added whether the sound is onboard or not... Is it ISA or PCI...?

But TC makes a valid point, is there any sound at all from the unit, whether it be from the CD or via Explorer...? Headphones in the socket will work just as well as the speakers...

waffler - 5-6-2009 at 21:50

Is there a little speaker icon on the task bar ? If there is and it has an x by it you will need to install the driver , you can also check in Device Manager .

scholar - 6-6-2009 at 02:07

I had been dating my friend, who today suggested we "take a break" from each other, so I don't think it likely I will be going further with this.

But, as an exercise in knowledge. . .

I don't have the Pavillion model number before me. I was thinking the speed 233 Mhz would probably narrow it down, but I realize that is a backwards way of doing it.

When I used "CD player," the screen looked as if everything was working right--it would display that it was playing track 1, it had a length of time for the track, it would tell how many seconds the track had been playing, etc.

I tried headphones without hearing any music.

Daz, you are entirely right in suggesting I could still add a sound card, ISA or PCI. I might have one from my parts boxes somewhere. I was thinking putting one in Win95 would be some trouble. But, hey--I've got some of the best computer people in the world here at KF, cheering me on and ready to help me with problems. If Lisa decides to send the computer home with me, I'll give it a go. But, at this point, I don't think it's likely to happen.

Isn't it great that we have so many people responding to help me out? That's the Karlsforums spirit!:Dkewl_glasses

And hello, Topcat!waveysmiley I remember when you gave me a lot of help. At the time, my questions got so complicated we went to u2u so as not to have an over-long thread on the problems I had with one troublesome tower.:D

LSemmens - 6-6-2009 at 12:01

You can still offer to help her out Scholar. Just because you are no longer "an item" does not mean that you cannot still be friends. Encourage her to sign up here, she may learn to fix her own computer.