i would like to know possible causes of window xp freeze up in which nothing moves or reacts, mouse freezes as it is in Siberia, the same keyboard, reset is the only option!. many thanks
come on Topcat come up with some suggestion, i will give it a try
You could try checking for registry conflicts. Or maybe try a defrag. Or cut down on the number of icons on your desktop. Or do a spyware check to
see if there are things doing things that you dont want to do things thus using up your processing power.
I downloaded a good startup checker to see what was running on startup and it checks them to see if you need them and an option to stop them starting (if you see what I mean).
my window XP is one week old?? no spyware or virus checked before put the thread. it has happened when there was only prog running ??.
it is reasonably in good condition in terms of defrag but when i tried O&O defragmenter three times it has stopped when it gets to 42% i have now cleared recycle bin it looks there was something there that window did not like to be there. i will try those suggested startup prog to see if it can identify any possible problem. many thanks for your help
You can always post a hijackthis log for pancake.
thanks a lot DAZ i checked no updates, i will do HDD diagnostic check over the weekend. i have dual core 939 3800 with 2.5 G ram it really should not freeze. if it persists then i will go for a format and try again. clearly there is a bad cluster somewhere, so far it has not occurred sine i emptied recyclebin.
What make of PSU do you have......what are the amps on the +12v rail ?
wilbur thanks for that i have no idea what make is the power supply but i can tell you it is one of those very expensive and very quite power supply.
i have no idea where i can find the amp on the 12 rail because i do not have the power supply specification.
the graphic card and all the units works fine there is no shortage of power supply, clearly the problem is due to software rather than hardware and possibly HDD bad cluster. i will do a check on HDD later on many thanks
Just take the side off the case, and look at the label attached to the PSU, it will (should) give you all the details Wilbur is asking for... And might help rule it out as the culprit....
If it's a pretty new install, I think it might be worth going to the recovery console and doing a chkdsk.
If you are so convinced that it is a bad cluster, Kourosh, why are you asking us?
You do seem to have more than your fair share of troubles which leads me to believe that you either have some pretty cr*p hardware or that your security and/or browsing habits leave much to be desired. 90% of the machines I am asked to fix are as a result of poor security, Of the remaining 10% only about 0.5% are as a result of hardware failure. The rest are usually a dud installation of software or a dodgy Windoze update.