Karl`s PC Help Forums

If screen Freezes what are possible causes??
KOUROSH - 31-1-2008 at 15:04

i would like to know possible causes of window xp freeze up in which nothing moves or reacts, mouse freezes as it is in Siberia, the same keyboard, reset is the only option!. many thanks

Topcat - 31-1-2008 at 18:06

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH
i would like to know possible causes of window xp freeze up in which nothing moves or reacts, mouse freezes as it is in Siberia, the same keyboard, reset is the only option!. many thanks

I think that if anyone could come up with some definitive answers to those problems, they would in all probability, earn more money than Bill Gates.

Topcat.

KOUROSH - 31-1-2008 at 19:03

come on Topcat come up with some suggestion, i will give it a trysmokin:

John_Little - 31-1-2008 at 19:33

You could try checking for registry conflicts. Or maybe try a defrag. Or cut down on the number of icons on your desktop. Or do a spyware check to see if there are things doing things that you dont want to do things thus using up your processing power.

I downloaded a good startup checker to see what was running on startup and it checks them to see if you need them and an option to stop them starting (if you see what I mean).

John

Redwolf5150 - 31-1-2008 at 20:17

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
I downloaded a good startup checker to see what was running on startup and it checks them to see if you need them and an option to stop them starting (if you see what I mean).

How about a link to that program? I'm sure someone else here might be interested.

I need to download something like that to Jackie's computer and figure out why HER machine is so crapped out right now (besides running W98).

kewl_glasses

KOUROSH - 31-1-2008 at 20:38

my window XP is one week old?? no spyware or virus checked before put the thread. it has happened when there was only prog running ??.

it is reasonably in good condition in terms of defrag but when i tried O&O defragmenter three times it has stopped when it gets to 42% i have now cleared recycle bin it looks there was something there that window did not like to be there. i will try those suggested startup prog to see if it can identify any possible problem. many thanks for your help

Redwolf5150 - 31-1-2008 at 20:39

You can always post a hijackthis log for pancake.

kewl_glasses

Topcat - 31-1-2008 at 21:38

Quote:
my window XP is one week old?? no spyware or virus checked before put the thread. it has happened when there was only prog running ??.

many thanks for your help

In that case I would start at the basics, hardware incompatibility, unless of course within that week you have loaded up bundles of software.
It's unlikely you have anything of importance to keep, so strip it down to basics, HDD + Ram + graphics,
Format the HDD and reload windows, Run it and give a good test, load up several different Window components and try to get it to full over.
Keep adding to the work load till something happens.

Trial and error, you know it makes sense.

Is this a system you have built yourself, from what, various odd components, or a matched set.

Topcat

Daz - 1-2-2008 at 01:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

How about a link to that program? I'm sure someone else here might be interested.

I need to download something like that to Jackie's computer and figure out why HER machine is so crapped out right now (besides running W98).

kewl_glasses

There are plenty to choose from, I like, and still use EasyCleaner it works fine on 98se, but NEVER run the "Duplicates" file checker, these type of apps often do more harm than good. The rest of the app is spot on though.

Or there is CCleaner, (Google it) not sure if that works on 98 though...

Daz - 1-2-2008 at 02:02

Quote:

You certainly have more than your fair share of problems eh...!

Did you ever get those nasties cleaned off your machine properly?

How many processes are running?

Is this the same PC you were on about last week, where you changed CPU to Dual Core?

What PSU are you running?

Have you checked the hardware for any faults? (HDD diagnostics etc...)

Is your WinXP CD in good nick? A bad CD has been known to give strange problems.

Are you fully patched and up to date with Windows Updates?

John_Little - 1-2-2008 at 09:43

Quote:
Originally posted by Redwolf5150
Quote:

kewl_glasses

Here you go, Redwolf:- http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

KOUROSH - 1-2-2008 at 14:49

thanks a lot DAZ i checked no updates, i will do HDD diagnostic check over the weekend. i have dual core 939 3800 with 2.5 G ram it really should not freeze. if it persists then i will go for a format and try again. clearly there is a bad cluster somewhere, so far it has not occurred sine i emptied recyclebin.

Wilbur - 1-2-2008 at 18:04

What make of PSU do you have......what are the amps on the +12v rail ?

KOUROSH - 1-2-2008 at 19:51

wilbur thanks for that i have no idea what make is the power supply but i can tell you it is one of those very expensive and very quite power supply. i have no idea where i can find the amp on the 12 rail because i do not have the power supply specification.

the graphic card and all the units works fine there is no shortage of power supply, clearly the problem is due to software rather than hardware and possibly HDD bad cluster. i will do a check on HDD later on many thanks

Daz - 1-2-2008 at 22:33

Just take the side off the case, and look at the label attached to the PSU, it will (should) give you all the details Wilbur is asking for... And might help rule it out as the culprit....

Katzy - 2-2-2008 at 21:45

If it's a pretty new install, I think it might be worth going to the recovery console and doing a chkdsk.

LSemmens - 3-2-2008 at 12:20

If you are so convinced that it is a bad cluster, Kourosh, why are you asking us?

You do seem to have more than your fair share of troubles which leads me to believe that you either have some pretty cr*p hardware or that your security and/or browsing habits leave much to be desired. 90% of the machines I am asked to fix are as a result of poor security, Of the remaining 10% only about 0.5% are as a result of hardware failure. The rest are usually a dud installation of software or a dodgy Windoze update.

Daz - 3-2-2008 at 21:44

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
If you are so convinced that it is a bad cluster, Kourosh, why are you asking us?

You do seem to have more than your fair share of troubles which leads me to believe that you either have some pretty cr*p hardware or that your security and/or browsing habits leave much to be desired.

There is another option... Kourosh is touting himself as a "Techguy/PC Repair man", and then seeking advice here when he's not a clue how to fix it...!!! :D rollarf :P