Karl`s PC Help Forums

Copying part of DVD on CD
KOUROSH - 24-1-2008 at 17:26

i have a DVD which contains works 7 it is about 2.5 GB. i often tend to have difficulty in installing it on my HDD and it constantly gives error 1305. i want to split it to three CD in the hope the DVD rom drive can read it better.
A- can it split to four CDs ????
B-what is the best way of copying program from a DVD and burning in it on a CD bearing in mind some of the program are about 256 MB which may take a quite while to be copied. many thanks

Daz - 24-1-2008 at 17:33

Not sure it is possible TBH... It might be, but I've not heard of a thing...

However, what I would do is, Rip the DVD to the HDD, and and then store it on a HDD/Partition... I hate faffing around with CD/DVD's...!!!

However, if you still wanted to back them up on to CD after you've ripped to the HDD, then you could always use WinRar (etc) and split the 2.5gb into 700mb chunks (Rar/Zip files) and store them on to CD...

Does that make sense...? confused2 ;)

John_Little - 24-1-2008 at 18:01

Oh yes it is!

Well, second thought mode engaged: I could do it. If you look at the DVD as a computer file, you will see a Video TS file and an Audio.TS file. the Audio file is rubish 'cos the Video one has everything including the sound in it.

There are a number of files in here. I cant remember the names right now, but the ones with similar sounding names and file sizes are the video files and the video file back up files.

Each one contains a certain amount of data. If you find the one with the bit you want in, you can simply copy it to you pc and then onto a CD. you wont be able to play it in a DVD player, but you will be able to play it on a CD.

The other way to do this is to convert the relevant bit to an AVI file then you can edit it in Windows Movie maker.

I have a neat little programme could AVS Video editor and for me it would be a breeze, But I believe you can do this in the way described above.

John

Dreamweaver - 24-1-2008 at 18:01

Or you could copy onto a memory stick then copy the whole lot onto your pc at once.

KOUROSH - 24-1-2008 at 18:32

my apology i forgot to mention the link , you can see copy of DVD using window explorer.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff177/kourosh22/?action=view&current=works7.jpg

i most grateful for all contribution no matter how small i will certainly try all suggestion regardless of consequences . looking forward to see more contribution, do not worry i will give it try

John_Little - 24-1-2008 at 18:37

Hang on, I didn't read that bit. so, if its not a video DVD but merely a data dvd, then that should be easier. Its bound to have a lot of rubbish on it apart from the install files and there is no reason I can think of why they coouldn't be copied separately

KOUROSH - 24-1-2008 at 18:55

john little the news that i can copy them separately is great please tell us more many thanks

Daz - 24-1-2008 at 22:09

The clue, I believe, is when Kourosh said works 7 in his OP...

DVD video is a different matter altogether... Providing their is no copy protection, or it has been removed, then as J_L says, just drag/copy the .Vob if you don't want to use the dedicated software...

Back to the OP... It might be possible to just simply Copy the MSWord (for example) Folder off the DVD, but whether it will install correctly after that, I don't know...

I use MagicISO to make an image of the CD/DVD, and then just open/extract the .iso file with Winrar to the HDD... Nero I think will make image files too IIRC...

John_Little - 25-1-2008 at 10:34

Well, in my experience,

There are a limited number of files needed for setup. The setup programme will look for these in a set place - the DVD. If it dosen't find them, it will ask you where they can be found.

The important bit, is the setup programme itself because it adds stuff to your registry and organises everything else on your pc. But, in my experience, although it will look in the place it believes the files it needs, if it cant find them, it will tell you and ask you if you may have seen them somewhere.

So, depending on the size of each individual file, you could put them onto a CD or several CDs and swap them as and when the install programme asks where its bits are.

I think.

Anyway, its worth a try. I cant do any harm and only means making a note of what is on what CD or other.

ErraticToad - 25-1-2008 at 10:41

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Oh yes it is!

Well, second thought mode engaged: I could do it. If you look at the DVD as a computer file, you will see a Video TS file and an Audio.TS file. the Audio file is rubish 'cos the Video one has everything including the sound in it.

I believe you are talking of DVD Video - the question was about splitting up a DVD that has "Works 7" on it, as I read the posting?

The short answer is probably not because of the need to ensure the install program knows where to find the next file from. It may be nice and just say I can't find it, where is it - in which case you pop in the next CD and so on.

However, you could end up doing a lot of CD swapping.

My answer is to ask if you usually have problems reading DVD's? If not, then copy it to a new DVD and see if that works any better.

If you do, then it may well be your drive needs a bios update or even a new one and at approx 20 for DL DVD Recorders why hassle ...?

John_Little - 25-1-2008 at 10:51

It is a fair cop, erratic toad. It is a sin I am often guilty of and my mate G'dad was forever telling me to read the posts properly.

But I suspect the problem is that Kourosh wants to install this on a computer without a DVD drive.

John

Daz - 25-1-2008 at 11:35

Quote:
But I suspect the problem is that Kourosh wants to install this on a computer without a DVD drive.

John

Kourosh himself says this... " i often tend to have difficulty in installing it on my HDD and it constantly gives error 1305" which tends to backup the Toads assumptions that the DVD/DVD Media is a problem for the OP...

John_Little - 25-1-2008 at 11:39

God, Daz,

I am a completely hopeless case.

If all else fails read the instructions.

My excuse is that I have recently had a bit of a hard time copying some video stuff and became quite adept at fixing corrupted video files. I was so excited at the opportunity to tell you all that I made a complete idiot of myself.

John

Daz - 25-1-2008 at 21:14

Quote:
God, Daz,

I am a completely hopeless case.

If all else fails read the instructions.

My excuse is that I have recently had a bit of a hard time copying some video stuff and became quite adept at fixing corrupted video files. I was so excited at the opportunity to tell you all that I made a complete idiot of myself.

John

Tell us then... It may prove invaluable information to some KF members, myself included... ;) waveysmiley

Katzy - 25-1-2008 at 21:23

Not "All media fixer", please...shocked_yellow

Daz - 25-1-2008 at 21:34

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Not "All media fixer", please...shocked_yellow

lol lips_sealed

John_Little - 26-1-2008 at 09:55

No. No special programmes. Just reading up on what the files are and how they relate to each other and then slightly edit them to make them work as a DVD. You have two copies of the video files and the two need to be the same to allow the DVD to work. If one is corrupted you can simply copy and rename the other. that's one trick.

But then you have to rebuild the IFO file. for that I used AVS video editor.

KOUROSH - 26-1-2008 at 18:52

Many thanks for all the contribution.

A- i do not think there is anything wrong with the dvd player but i thin wear and tear on the dvd is the cause of the problem.

last weekend i tried to copy some of the file and burn them on CD but i ended up corrupting the driver for the graphic card and i could not boot the window i eventually found out by pure chance the driver for graphic had been corrupted and managed to get window working.

and that is why i put this thread to see if there is an easy way of copying. you try to copy 256 mb on to rewriter drive you will see window says it is going to take 8 hours and so to copy then four hours then two hours and you wait and wait but it never ends. DAZ suggested to rip and download it into a partiton and then burn it on CD. i tried ripping but could not figure out where it was stored hence i could not burn it on cd.

i have nero 5.5 but i am not sure if that can help. secondly i wonder if there are any hidden file on the dvd which does not show on window explorer. it wil take four cd to have all rpog and on all i should have setup files.

i have window and realplayer and nero5.5 does any of these will do the job if so please tell us step by step(not to worry i will give your suggestion a try it is better than sitting there doing nothing). many thanks

LSemmens - 27-1-2008 at 11:59

If you think that your DVD is the problem, what about using nero to create an image of the DVD and then burn that to a new DVD?

If there are marks and scratches on the DVD, a good clean may help, or, if too bad, you could take it down to your local video shop and ask them to polish it, it'll cost you a couple of bucks, but can revive unreadable disks.

Daz - 27-1-2008 at 13:05

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
If you think that your DVD is the problem, what about using nero to create an image of the DVD and then burn that to a new DVD?

If there are marks and scratches on the DVD, a good clean may help, or, if too bad, you could take it down to your local video shop and ask them to polish it, it'll cost you a couple of bucks, but can revive unreadable disks.

Good advice, I bought a Disc Repair Kit, to salvage some of the nippers CD/DVD's and it worked a treat... And taught me a lesson, that I MUST backup his discs before he gets gold of them...!!! ;)

KOUROSH - 27-1-2008 at 16:14

Lesemmens, many thanks i did not there was such thing i will get it polished but still i want to have it on CD to be honest, i found dvd a pain i will also check my dvd player to see if it is the guilty one.

KOUROSH - 29-1-2008 at 11:15

Mystery Resolved

this morning i got a window office xp update after installing it, i said to myself lets see if i can install works 7 that i have on DVD.
so i put dvd in and click autoplay and to my astonishment everything went smoothly and installed all prog on the dvd.

i did not polish or change the dvd player. it now seems to me that an update patch was missing from my window xp which i installed it last week after i put my new dual core cpu. ( i read on one of the site that when you install dual core from a single core you will be better off with a new window otherwise you will have to do quite a few changes in the directory) thanks to everyone for your great help

Daz - 29-1-2008 at 12:31

Just a question... Why would you want Works installed if you have Office...? (Works is the poor man's Office suite isn't it, basically?)

Edit -

Ooh, and one other thing I don't get, you said this DVD had been giving you hassle for a while, but you now you think it was down to changing the Chip, which you did last week... confused2

Anyway...

I always do a fresh install after any hardware change, but that's just me, many don't, so long as the old hardware drivers are removed prior to installing the new stuff, you can mostly get away with it, but remembering to pay a quick visit to M$ for any updates that may be needed, and to the hardware makers for any newer drivers is always wise, if you go down that route.

LSemmens - 29-1-2008 at 13:46

That was an important fact that you omitted to give us in the first instance, Kourosh, you are not helping yourself at all by leaving out critical information. See Daz's response above.

KOUROSH - 29-1-2008 at 19:25

After i installed new window i did update it with 45 new update but did not realise there was lot more to come, this morning again i went back and tried new update 13 of them i am just wondering when i am going to get the last one.

works may be poor man office but not this one it has encarta, Autoroute and task lunch and mirosoft picture it (550MB) i do not get these in office

the DVd was giving me hassles because, i have quite a few pcs and when i try to installed it on others i was getting similar problem and often i gave up.

Lessmens the reason i did not mention the new window because i went to google and they all talked about possible corrupted registry none mentioned windows updates . many thanks

Daz - 30-1-2008 at 03:59

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH
the DVd was giving me hassles because, i have quite a few pcs and when i try to installed it on others i was getting similar problem and often i gave up

This being the case, to me at least, would indicate it must be a media problem then, surely? (If it fails on other units as well)

[FYI moment...]

As for Windows updates, after you've done a fresh install of XP, with sp2, there is about 70-80 new updates to get to get yourself back up to date, at this current time.... [/FYI moment]

KOUROSH - 30-1-2008 at 09:56

Daz thanks a lot for that i did not realise there are too many updates i will check from now on daily bases.

I am absolutely certain it is due to shortage of .updates

KOUROSH - 30-1-2008 at 10:31

link below gives a good number of windows xp updates

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html