Karl`s PC Help Forums

I.P's
TooCute4Words - 22-1-2008 at 22:25

Is it true that if you are on AOL or BTinternet, you can't change your I.P address?

Quaver - 22-1-2008 at 23:03

Have you checked yours to see if it changes?
http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Mine (Tiscali) changes to different ones everytime I turn the router on (I turn it off every night to save electricity). I don't have any control over it.

TooCute4Words - 22-1-2008 at 23:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Quaver
Have you checked yours to see if it changes?
http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Mine (Tiscali) changes to different ones everytime I turn the router on (I turn it off every night to save electricity). I don't have any control over it.

Basically Quaver, I have a friend who wants to change his I.P and has been struggling for ages to find a way.

He looked at this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=AcMOdwju-9Q

And it didn't work for him.

I gave it a go and it didn't work for me either.

I think that the only way is to contact AOL direct and ask them to give you a new one, but there is rumours that they charge for this?

Am I right about not being able to change it? Is it to do with these ISP's when you are on AOL, Virgin, BTinternet, etc.. that they have a fixed I.P that never changes, because they are your ISP and it's static?

Daz - 23-1-2008 at 01:54

If you want to change your ip temporarily, just Google "Proxy" etc, it'll take a while to find a decent working one, but it's a temporary fix...

Or try one of these...

Linky 1 (Some Anti-Malwares may dislike this URL... I've never had in an issue with it, but Webroot's SpySweeper does nag about it....)

Linky 2

Linky 3

Linky 4

Theravad - 23-1-2008 at 09:21

Quote:
Originally posted by TooCute4Words

..... a friend who wants to change his I.P and has been struggling for ages to find a way.

Why has he been banned by IP from some sites? :D

The ISPs have limited ranges of addresses allocated to them so they prefer leasing dynamic addresses to their customers as they can re-allocate when a customer goes off line ( and the lease expires ).

Generally, as long as your router is not off for too long, you tend to get the same IP back on a re-boot.

Personally I use a static IP as it makes some of the VPN and firewall stuff easier to manage.

If you change your IP address manually it is unlikely to work since (1) if you jump out of the local sub-net you will not be able to route out (2) if the local switch is intelligent, it won't even let you talk to the local subnet.

T

TooCute4Words - 23-1-2008 at 14:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
If you want to change your ip temporarily, just Google "Proxy" etc, it'll take a while to find a decent working one, but it's a temporary fix...

Or try one of these...

Linky 1 (Some Anti-Malwares may dislike this URL... I've never had in an issue with it, but Webroot's SpySweeper does nag about it....)

Linky 2

Linky 3

Linky 4

Thanks for those Daz :D

But he has no problems getting his IP proxied, he is actually after changing his IP, not hiding it.

TooCute4Words - 23-1-2008 at 14:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Theravad

Why has he been banned by IP from some sites? :D

Ha! Ha! NO!! Just doesn't like to be defeated.

ISP's grow on trees and many will let you change your IP. He and even I was wondering why AOL & BTinternet are aukward in comparison?

Quote:
The ISPs have limited ranges of addresses allocated to them so they prefer leasing dynamic addresses to their customers as they can re-allocate when a customer goes off line ( and the lease expires ).

Generally, as long as your router is not off for too long, you tend to get the same IP back on a re-boot.

Personally I use a static IP as it makes some of the VPN and firewall stuff easier to manage.

If you change your IP address manually it is unlikely to work since (1) if you jump out of the local sub-net you will not be able to route out (2) if the local switch is intelligent, it won't even let you talk to the local subnet.

T

Thanks for that. Perhaps the ISP is the problem? AOL are a waste of time, so I hear? Maybe he should change the ISP to something better and perhaps cheaper too, then the changing of IP will be easypeasy :D

Katzy - 23-1-2008 at 14:12

Doesn't opening a DOS window and typing

"ipconfig /release"

followed by "ipconfig /renew"

do something like that?

Failing that, you can try this:

http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

TooCute4Words - 23-1-2008 at 14:45

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Doesn't opening a DOS window and typing

"ipconfig /release"

followed by "ipconfig /renew"

do something like that?

Failing that, you can try this:

http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

If you look at the Youtube video I posted in my 2nd post Katzy, the video shows the 2nd way of changing an I.P which we gave a go at. But he does have another video which describes the other way and that didn't work either.

Daz pointed out the Proxy method, but that only hides your I.P not make a new one.

We certainly feel it is to do with Dynamic or Static IP's which AOL and BTinternet offer to their customers.

Theravad certainly emphasised what ISP's, 'well some', tend to do.

Thanks for all help offered anyhow. I guess he will just give up and change his ISP, which is no great loss really, especially with AOL.

I am happy with it personally, well almost happy ;) I know there are cheaper options