Karl`s PC Help Forums

SM Bus Controller ?
Hal - 13-1-2008 at 12:57

Ran into problems with a yellow question mark on the Other Devices under Device Manager. I don't know which question to ask first. I'm trying to use DataPilot for adding ringtones to a cell phone. I suspect I wiped out the driver when I tried to use BitPim which gave me problems and I deleted it and started over with DataPilot. The errors I received when attempting to load ringtones led me to the SM Bus Controller yellow question mark.
The driver I need doesn't seem to be on the DataPilot disk, or in Windows XP nor could I find it by updating on the MS site and I'm up a stump. How do I begin to fix this yellow question mark?

Wilbur - 13-1-2008 at 17:16

Not sure, but the SM Bus Controller is part of the chipset drivers as far as I know, so maybe reinstalling the chipset drivers again ?

Hal - 13-1-2008 at 18:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur
Not sure, but the SM Bus Controller is part of the chipset drivers as far as I know, so maybe reinstalling the chipset drivers again ?

What are chipset drivers and where do I find them?

Katzy - 13-1-2008 at 22:00

The drivers'll be on the motherboard's CD.

If not, you'll need their website.

Daz - 13-1-2008 at 22:05

SM Bus Controller, is as Wilbur says, usually the Intel Chipset drivers....

Re-installing the correct drivers should solve your yellow exclamation problem...

You should be able to find the drivers here on the Intel Website if you don't have them already...

Wilbur - 14-1-2008 at 06:34

Or Nvidia chipset drivers.......http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

LSemmens - 14-1-2008 at 14:41

The most appropriate drivers would most likely be found on you computer MFG's website if you don't already have a MOBO driver set CD. What make and model number is your computer?

Wilbur - 14-1-2008 at 18:44

Agreed, but sometimes the mobo mfg doesn't update it site.
Since I have an Nvidia chipset, I go to the Nvidia site for the latest drivers...if any...........once the board is a year or so old, updates stop :D
Same would be for a VIA chipset........check their 4in1 drivers (or whatever they call them these days) and get them from the VIA site.

Hal - 15-1-2008 at 18:40

Thanks for telling me chipset drivers guys! (You've heard of a man of few words, that's me because I can't remember the rest of them.) I had downloaded all the drivers from Dell when I bought the PC and I went back to their site to see which one it is. It took a few tries to reload the drivers. The wizard must have had a bad day because he wouldn't find and install it for me, even though I tried to browse him to the right file. I finally deleted the old drivers and found the .exe file inside the stored driver folder and double clicked. It knew where to go and cleared up my question marks on the next boot.
Regards,
Hal

Daz - 15-1-2008 at 22:47

Good stuff, don't ya just luv a 'appy endin... kewl_glasses

Katzy - 16-1-2008 at 14:20

wOoT!