Karl`s PC Help Forums

will virus move and infect other partitions???
KOUROSH - 7-1-2008 at 17:38

i have four partition, three windows and one for data only. would you please tell me if one window gets infected, will virus move to other partitions or not (assuming i do not move, or copy files between partitions) many thanks

Katzy - 7-1-2008 at 20:21

They can, yes.

Not saying they will. But, they sure can.

scholar - 7-1-2008 at 20:28

Katzy! scared_stiff scared_stiff scared_stiff scared_stiff

Is there an effective way to protect against a virus infecting other partitions (logical drives)?:o

Katzy - 7-1-2008 at 21:08

Yes.

Write-protect them.

That's the only way, other than the obvious virus-checkers and things. Even that CAN be got around, though. If you could physically write-protect them, like you can with floppies, that'd be good.

You can always disconnect them, but that would be counter-productive... :D

That's what I do, though. I back up one drive to another and disconnect the backup, so it's safe.

KOUROSH - 8-1-2008 at 07:58

Katzy i am grateful for your comment you may be correct in practice and theory????
the reason i put this thread is because , i have experienced the opposite, other partitions have not been effected so far and i was wondering if anyone has actually experienced oppositre what i ahve experienced. when i scan four partition it takes nearly two hours to complete but no traces of infection i found on other three partitions???? but i am not suggesting it would not happen.

By creating partition we create physical (software wise) barrier between drives and it looks so far no one has cooked up a virus to be able to cross the partition and infect other files in other partitions???

i would like to hear from anyone who has experienced opposite after installing partitioning softwares such as paragon (computer shoppers mag usually just before Xmass give away a full paragon partitioning on their monthly magazine worth 20.00)??

Topcat - 8-1-2008 at 09:00

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH

By creating partition we create physical (software wise) barrier between drives and it looks so far no one has cooked up a virus to be able to cross the partition and infect other files in other partitions???

i

It depends really on how you set the partitions up. If you can access all the partitions / data from your main primary then Virus can cross pollinate.
If on the other hand the partitions are independant and access is gained Via a Boot Manager then the risk of cross pollination, is greatly reduced

Topcat.

KOUROSH - 8-1-2008 at 12:28

Topcat thanks alot for that, that is completly new to me,. can you tell us more on how partitioning can be set such one can access data from the main primary and how can i make sure they are independent. are these information available on the manual?? many thanks

Topcat - 8-1-2008 at 13:31

Quote:
Originally posted by KOUROSH
Topcat thanks alot for that, that is completly new to me,. can you tell us more on how partitioning can be set such one can access data from the main primary and how can i make sure they are independent. are these information available on the manual?? many thanks

It's a question of structure, in the old days of Win98SE the system wouldn't allow more than one OS per partition, now with WinXP you can.

If you partition the HDD to have a Primary Drive and Logical drives, you can, with WinXP install the OS on both the Primary Partition and the logical partitions, this allows you to cross reference / access data across the whole range.

If, however, you partition the drive with only Primary partitions, they operate independent of each other and the only way to access them is via a Boot Manager. you can of course still have Logical partitons within each of those Primary ones.

To set up this type of HDD partitoning you do need to use a program such as Partiton Magic, great care is needed as all these partitions are classed as Primary "C"s, and the Boot Manager operates by hiding some drives whilst making others "Active"and bootable

The above is a brief synopsis, implimentation requires much more instruction,planning and the proper software.
If you require this then I would suggest you go to the U2U contact rather than take up time and space on this forum.

Topcat.

KOUROSH - 8-1-2008 at 17:05

Topcat thanks a lot, i am going to do a little bit of home work on partitioning (primary and logical) if i need further help i will U2U many thanks