Karl`s PC Help Forums

Need more drives
grayles - 3-1-2008 at 13:17

I am setting up my children's computer, and to save them taking the cd's in and out I am mounting ISOs of the cds on virtual drives. But I have just reached the limit it allows with the "Z".
One set of the educational disks alone come to 24 and I also have many more I want to put on. Is there any way to increase the amount allowed?

I am doing it this way as it has been the easiest and cheapest way (free) to do it, but is there another way I could do it? If I loaded several ISO images on a DVD and then mounted that on a virtual drive would that work?

Thanks

Graham.

Katzy - 3-1-2008 at 18:06

Alcohol 120% will do it http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ (Not free, though), as will a freebie from Microsoft.

I can't find the M$ one on their site.

As it's a freebie, though, I've put it here, for you:

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/XP-VirtualCD.zip

I hope you have a lot of RAM.

grayles - 3-1-2008 at 23:00

Thanks, but VirtualCD is what I am already using to mount my images.
But I have reached the limit of 26 drives it will allow.
What I need is someway of increasing the number of drive so they are not just named from A > Z or someway to mount more than one cd image per drive, is this possible?

Or is there another easy way of stopping the need to keep putting the cd's in every time.

Looking at the Alcohol site it says it can create up to 31 drives so I assume it must be possible, but I roughly need 50 drives so far.

Thanks

Graham.

Topcat - 4-1-2008 at 13:58

Quote:
Originally posted by grayles

Or is there another easy way of stopping the need to keep putting the cd's in every time.

Looking at the Alcohol site it says it can create up to 31 drives so I assume it must be possible, but I roughly need 50 drives so far.

Thanks

Graham.

A larger HDD springs to mind or additional ones.

Assuming the DVD are 4 GB max then a 320GB HDD would hold 80 DVD copies.

Topcat.

grayles - 4-1-2008 at 14:32

It isn't storage I am struggling with.
What I want to do is to save my children having to put cd's in every time they want to play a game or educational software I have.
The bulk of what i want to put on are some cd's I got from a national paper, they are by "DK", such as "Become a History Explorer" and "Encyclopedia of Nature". But there are 24 cd's in this set alone, also I have many more games and educational programs I want them to be easily able to access.
My children range from 22 months to 11 years old with a steady flow of extra friends in and out, and many cd's over time have already been scratched. So I want to put the actual cds out of harms way.

Thanks
Graham.

Topcat - 4-1-2008 at 18:12

Quote:
It isn't storage I am struggling with.
What I want to do is to save my children having to put cd's in every time they want to play a game or educational software I have.
The bulk of what i want to put on are some cd's I got from a national paper, they are by "DK", such as "Become a History Explorer" and "Encyclopedia of Nature". But there are 24 cd's in this set alone, also I have many more games and educational programs I want them to be easily able to access.

Thanks
Graham.

But surely all you need to do is copy the CD to a folder on the HDD, and then open it with the .EXE file from Windows Explorer, or type the run command into Start > Run Option.
or you could also put a Shortcut Icon on the desktop.

That's what I did with Autoroute so I don't have to keep loading the CD.

Topcat.

grayles - 4-1-2008 at 22:20

I have tried that on a few of them which does seem to work at first and lets me play first time, but then when I try and load second time it asks for a cd.

Thanks

Graham.

Daz - 4-1-2008 at 22:57

What about just making folders that contain a set of ISO's, and show the kids how to mount said ISO's....?

Just a thought, 'cos I can see you've tried most things....!

Topcat - 4-1-2008 at 22:59

Quote:
I have tried that on a few of them which does seem to work at first and lets me play first time, but then when I try and load second time it asks for a cd.

Thanks

Graham.

Can you detail your exact methodology, something is not is not quite right as it should work each time.

Topcat.

grayles - 4-1-2008 at 23:09

I guess I might have to try something like that, just got to get around the problem of the younger ones not being able to read.
Maybe if I get the oldest one to just use one drive and change the images as she needs it might free up enough drives.
Either that or I give in and get her a computer of her own that she has been pestering about.

Graham

grayles - 4-1-2008 at 23:20

There are 4 exe files on the disk.
autorun.exe
DotNetInstaller.exe x 2
setup.exe
The Dot... files, one causes an error if I try to run it, the other extracts the same file over.
seup.exe alternates between installing and uninstalling the program

so I have beeen using the autorun, which as I said works first time then asks for a cd if I use it again.

there is a autorun.INF file which I assume is the commands for autorun.exe which opens in notepad to give
[autorun]
open=AUTORUN.EXE
icon=HE.ico

[start]
product=DK MultimediaHistory ExplorerDirectory
value=Path
file=HISTEX.exe
setup=DKSetupSetup.exe
question=Would you like to run "History Explorer"?
caption=History Explorer
fullscreen=1
launcher=xfslaunch.exe

There is no file called xfslaunch on the cd or the files in my copied folder.

Am I going about it the wrong way?

Thanks

Graham

Topcat - 5-1-2008 at 09:20

Quote:

so I have beeen using the autorun, which as I said works first time then asks for a cd if I use it again.

Thanks

Graham

Copy the CD to a newly named/created folder on the "C" drive.

Open the folder and run the installation from there. if it places a program icon on the desktop, use that to launch the program, if it doesn't follow the next steps.

That should place a program name in the list of programs (C://local disk/program Files)

On the desktop (start > Programs) hover your mouse pointer over that name and follow the links till you arrive at the final icon that launches the program, (there may be only the program name)

Whichever icon / name you use to launch the program RIGHT click on it and create a "Shortcut"

Drag the shortcut onto the desktop,

Double click it to launch the program.

HTH

Topcat

grayles - 5-1-2008 at 10:29

Afraid it still asks for the cd. Have found the xfslaunch.exe file now, it is in the program files that have been created.
Even tried your method on another computer but the same problem happened.

Thanks

Graham

LSemmens - 5-1-2008 at 13:04

What about something like using a CD caddy? Where all the cd's are mounted in the caddy and autoloaded from there, that way there is no manual handling of cds.

Daz - 5-1-2008 at 13:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Topcat
But surely all you need to do is copy the CD to a folder on the HDD, and then open it with the .EXE file from Windows Explorer, or type the run command into Start > Run Option.
or you could also put a Shortcut Icon on the desktop.

That's what I did with Autoroute so I don't have to keep loading the CD.

Topcat.

That method won't work on some discs... Hence the need for Cracks/Patches/NO-CD fixes on some ISO image files...

Topcat - 5-1-2008 at 18:45

Quote:
Afraid it still asks for the cd. Have found the xfslaunch.exe file now, it is in the program files that have been created.
Even tried your method on another computer but the same problem happened.

Thanks

Graham

Not sure where to go from here, I guess you could copy the original CDs and let them use the copies, that way if they get damaged you still have a pristine original to copy again.

Topcat

grayles - 5-1-2008 at 20:44

Well I have gone with the suggestion from Daz and shown the oldest how to swap the image files, she seemed quite happy with it. Allocating her with 3 drives to play with has reduced the amount needed by about 12, so hopefully I will have enough now, especially if I can get some of the other cds (not the "DK" ones) to load from files.

Although I have had a lot of heavy hints from the daughter about getting her a computer for her room, as this would “ leave much more space on this computer for the others”.

I can't understand though why there isn't an option to load everything needed onto the hard drive with these “DK” disks, especially considering they were free ones with a national newspaper and aimed at children.

Thanks for all your help with this.

Graham

LSemmens - 6-1-2008 at 06:54

I suspect that the reason for the magazines to require the CD in the drive is not os much as a "requirement" per se, but as a means of targeting the lowest common denominator. Not all people have the storage space available, and many more would not understand that they could upgrade their storage cheaply.