Karl`s PC Help Forums

blue screen of death
art - 3-1-2008 at 02:46

hello

Have stop error 024 on my puter. XP media edition

Hardware checks ok

how do i recover data and repair software.

scholar - 3-1-2008 at 03:08

Hello, Art, and welcome.

Many of our big-brain techs are in Great Britain, where it is 3:00 a.m., so you might not get the answer you need until tomorrow.

What software were you running when the BSoD happened? Had you installed anything lately, or added any hardware, or changed any drivers? Is your system well-protected from malware? Can you think of anything else that might be a clue?

scholar - 3-1-2008 at 03:10

P.S. This thread/topic might get moved to PC Help, which is the usual place for this kind of question. waveysmiley

art - 3-1-2008 at 03:18

Scholar

The computer is used by my teenage children. They have told me they have not ionstalled anything new. But they are not to careful with regards to security. So,Dad is fixing it again.

I will try a repair install. Do you know if I will lose any data with this route?

Thanks

Art

scholar - 3-1-2008 at 03:30

Art, I am not one of the first-string PC guys here. I've built, upgraded, and untangled some computers, but they have been older Operating Systems (earlier versions of Windows). You could do a "search" on this site to find out what our guys have said on the subject previously.

I am a scholar of science, the Scriptures, philosophy, psychology etc., but don't know as much as several members here who post daily, several of whom have repaired scores of computers.waveysmiley

I'm not sure, but I think a "repair install" might restore the computer to original condition (in other words, wipe out everything!shocked_yellow). I would suggest waiting for the other guys to make suggestions.

art - 3-1-2008 at 03:37

Scholar

Well I will wait then, thanks for the advise. I will log on tomorrow.

Thanks Again

Art

Quaver - 3-1-2008 at 03:40

Have you tried getting in via safe mode (pressing F8 during boot-up) and doing a system restore to previous working date?

LSemmens - 3-1-2008 at 11:15

Quote:
Originally posted by art
Scholar

The computer is used by my teenage children. They have told me they have not ionstalled anything new. But they are not to careful with regards to security. So,Dad is fixing it again.

I will try a repair install. Do you know if I will lose any data with this route?

Thanks

Art

Welcome to KF, Art! Now, to your problem.

It could be any number of problems so, I'll address a few generic issues, and then ask some questions,

Issues like this are generally caused by a new program or update that is causing some conflict with another program. It may also be as a result of some malware infection. People of the "click this because it asks" can also cause themselves more trouble than they were having at first.

Questions:
1: What is the exact wording of the error message?
2: Are updates turned on?
3: What service pack?
4: What security are you running?

A "repair install" may well work. it should not affect installed apps, but that cannot be 100% certain.

Katzy - 3-1-2008 at 12:20

The 024 error is an NTFS error.

Click "Start".

Click "Run".

Type "cmd".

In the DOS window that opens, type "chkdsk /r /f" and it should sort you out.

If you want to know more about what checkdisk does, have a read here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

It might be worth you reading the "Remarks" section.

scholar - 3-1-2008 at 12:52

Art, Katzy and LSemmens each have more experience than I with XP, and I commend them to you. It sounds as if Katzy recognizes your specific problem. :D

art - 5-1-2008 at 16:02

Scholar

Thanks for all the info. IWindows stops before it has a chance to boot up. I am RX new disks from dell for a repair. I will attempt that them cross my fingers.

I will let you know how things turned out.

Art

scholar - 5-1-2008 at 16:06

Good luck and best wishes, Art.:)

Come back and tell us how it turns out.waveysmiley

Katzy - 5-1-2008 at 16:14

You can do as I suggested from Safe Mode, I believe.

Or, from a DOS prompt.

Hit F8, after the BIOS screen and select "Boot to Safe Mode commandline", or whatever i says.

art - 13-1-2008 at 21:13

Hi All

I safely backed up my hard drive using linux.

I have a Dell, they provided a ghost image and I was able to return the hard drive to factory default state. Took me about seven days to get it back to where it was, with all the updates and setup but i am happy.

Thanks so much for your advice and time

Art

scholar - 13-1-2008 at 21:23

Excellent! Good job!:Dwaveysmiley

Katzy - 13-1-2008 at 21:59

WoOt! @ a happy ending!

LSemmens - 14-1-2008 at 14:27

Pleased to hear it Art, please hang around, we'll even keep Scholar under control for you! waveysmiley