Karl`s PC Help Forums

Games only work in admin
grayles - 14-12-2007 at 14:41

Hi, just setting up the new kidsí computer.

I am trying to set up some games (mostly educational).

Trouble is they work ok when signed on as an administrator, but when I sign in any of the kids "limited" profiles they will not work.

If I change the profile to admin the games work ok but if I then change them back to limited they fail again.

Any ideas as to the reason for this or how I might get the games to work?

What would be the drawbacks of leaving the profiles as admin, bearing in mind that there is 3 profiles all for different age children from 3 to 11? I do want them to have access to the internet as well.

I am running XP pro with sp2 installed and all updates.

Graham.

Topcat - 14-12-2007 at 16:09

Can't give you a definitive answer but obviously one of the restrictions you applied to the user profile is not letting the games load properly, (perhaps obvious and not very helpful) but my point is that you need to review those restictions, give one user admin rights, then apply each restriction till the game falls over.

Not something I have to deal with, but I think that would be my approach to solving the problem.

Topcat.

grayles - 14-12-2007 at 23:49

I wasn't aware it was possible to vary the restrictions. I just thought there was limited and admin. How do I adjust the restrictions and change them?

Thanks,

Graham.

Topcat - 15-12-2007 at 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by grayles
I wasn't aware it was possible to vary the restrictions. I just thought there was limited and admin. How do I adjust the restrictions and change them?

Thanks,

Graham.

Havn't explored all the variations, (not a feature I use ) but if you go to Control Panel and user accounts you'll find plenty of options to start you off.
I would have thought you just needed to reverse some / all the actions you took in the first place to restrict the access.

Topcat

Wilbur - 15-12-2007 at 10:21

If you right click on the game icon on the desktop, there is an option to 'run as'...........you could try that smokin:
Not tried fiddling with that, but it does allow you to name other users.

grayles - 15-12-2007 at 21:26

Topcat, I still can't find any option to change the restrictions, I can only have either admin or limited.

Wibur, yes that did work, but only temporary, the password for an admin account would have to be entered each time.

Thanks for your help though,

Graham.

Topcat - 15-12-2007 at 22:14

I havn't found the answer for you, but you might find the folowing of interest, particularly the note at the end, it seems some programs only work with full admin.

Quote:

Types of user accountsThere are two types of user accounts available on your computer: computer administrator and limited. The guest account is available by default for users with no assigned account on the computer.

Limited account

The limited account is intended for someone who should be prohibited from changing most computer settings and deleting important files. A user with a limited account:

Generally cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.
Can change his or her account picture and can also create, change, or delete his or her password.
Cannot change his or her account name or account type. A user with a computer administrator account must make these kinds of changes.
Can manage his or her network passwords, create a reset password disk, and set up his or her account to use a .NET Passport.

Note
Quote:

Using a limited account might help prevent computer viruses from damaging your computer. However, some programs might not work properly for users with limited accounts.

Topcat.

Topcat - 15-12-2007 at 22:33

grayles

Check your u2u

Topcat.

grayles - 15-12-2007 at 23:07

Thanks, yes I have already seen that.

I've been looking around via Google and have found one possible solution.

"Put all games in a subdirectory of "Applications" called "Games".

sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/Games

Return

This changes all subdirectories and files of the Games directory to have Read/Write/Delete access to all users"

Before I try-
Applications, does he mean the "program files" folder?
Terminal.app is that the command prompt?
Am I likely to cause any problems by trying this?

Any advise would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Graham

Daz - 16-12-2007 at 02:56

Quote:
Originally posted by grayles
"Put all games in a subdirectory of "Applications" called "Games".

sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/Games

Return

This changes all subdirectories and files of the Games directory to have Read/Write/Delete access to all users"

That looks like a Linux command to me... Not sure it'd work in Windows, and even IF it did, I'm not sure it'd be advisable given the security (or lack of,) of Windows anyway.....

Not really my area though, so don't take my word for it....

LSemmens - 16-12-2007 at 11:44

I agree, DAZ, looks like a linux command to me. Linux experts, are we right? I've never come across a DOS command called Sudo.