Karl`s PC Help Forums

Firefox and Windows XP
dThrmn - 3-12-2007 at 15:38

After having Toshiba repair my computer due to a bad input connector I can't get Mozilla Firefox to connect. This was my default browser before the repair. What I get now is a "firefox.exe" error window stating that "firefox.exe" has encountered a problem and needs to close. It also asks to tell Microsoft about this problem. I can connect to the Internet with Internet Explorer and do the usual things. I checked my firewall, as best I know how, to allow Mozilla. I removed Mozilla and re-downloaded it, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? Thanks, David

janet - 3-12-2007 at 15:45

I'm sure someone who knows more will be along soon but try this in the meantime?

Tools - Advanced - Connection. Make sure it's trying to connect in the right way?

delanti - 3-12-2007 at 19:27

Have you tried the Mozilla knowledge base? A while back all of a sudden Thunderbird quit working and from their knowledge base I discovered that it was an update to my virus program that was the monkey wrench in the works.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/support/

Katzy - 3-12-2007 at 19:47

Have you got all the Windoze Updates and is Firefox the latest version?

What, exactly, does the error-message say? It's quite imprtant, that. Just telling us that it gave an error-message is a bit pointless, really.

(Sorry if that reads as a slap. It's not meant that way!)

dThrmn - 3-12-2007 at 22:16

I did check the Mozilla knowledge base, finding what appeared to be worthwhile notes. None worked though. I even used my desktop to send a message to Mozilla to see if I can get help, I am waiting on reply now. My desktop and laptop are both running Windows XP and the desktop has no problem. As stated the problem with the laptop started with the repair by a Toshiba authorized service center. Mozilla is the only item to not work on return. I tried entering "firefox.exe" into the "Run" on my start menu and got the same error message. Maybe it's haunted now. shocked_yellow

Katzy - 3-12-2007 at 23:30

Have you got all the Windoze Updates and is Firefox the latest version? What, exactly, does the error-message say? It's quite important, that. Just telling us that it gave an error-message is a bit pointless, really. (Sorry if that reads as a slap. It's not meant that way!)

Some versions had problems that caused this. These errors have been corrected in later version(s).

Current version is 2.0.0.11

LSemmens - 4-12-2007 at 13:40

FYI Katzy nananana

Quote:
"firefox.exe" has encountered a problem and needs to close.
is Microsoft speak for a General Protection Fault (remember those), is also another way of saying that they don't know what caused it!

I'd try to uninstall Firefox, then run a system repair from my Windoze CD, and then try a fresh install of the latest Firefox, an update was issued in the last couple of days.

(sorry, Katzy, couldn't resist,skidaddle)

Katzy - 4-12-2007 at 13:53

When I get those messages, I get an explanation and a link to find out more.

I'd kinda assumed that dThrmn had got the same.

If it was me, I'd be tempted to ask the repairer what they did. At least, then, I'd have a clue as to what might be wrong.

Is that a viable route to take, in this instance, dThrmn?

(How the heck to you pronounce "dThrmn", by the way?)

dThrmn - 4-12-2007 at 14:00

Katzy, the only error message I get is the Windows message window which contains the "Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close". This is also the window which asks me if I want to send an error report to Microsoft. There is no error number if that is what you were asking.
LSemmons, I have removed Firefox, updated XP, and reloaded Firefox several times now with nothing new to report.
I think it is something in this laptop they did when it was repaired. Something like my firewall not being turned off when I think I turned it off, or properly identified Firefox to allow it to run. I'll keep on trying.
Thanks for the replies,

LSemmens - 4-12-2007 at 15:36

When only one program is having troubles like this, then, usually a uninstall/re-install will fix it. You said you've updated windoze, have you tried a system repair? This lets windoze re-install various drivers that it finds a problem with and, I think, re-builds the registry too. The problem may be a dud library that FF is pointing to in all innocence and then falling over because of wrong information. A Windoze repair followed by a re-install of FF may resolve the issue otherwise, it could mean a full format and re-load of everything.

My reasoning is, Toshiba has replaced a faulty component and Windoze has detected a new device and installed drivers for it. In the process it has clobbered other drivers that have a bearing on Firefox. Sometimes, Windoze is too smart for its own good.

Katzy - 4-12-2007 at 17:47

On a different tack, you could try Opera.... :D

http://www.opera.com/download/

dThrmn - 4-12-2007 at 18:57

Katzy, "dThrmn" is a nickname, my first post had my name-David. No problem there. The repair as I understood it was a new motherboard which included the new style DC input connector jack. When the original connector went out there was evidently some sparking which apparently caused my CPU to bomb out. It appears that the repair center reloaded my Toshiba Satellite M35X-111S back to what was on it when I bought it from a Best Buy store per the agreement with Toshiba/Best Buy. All of my personal information and any software I added is gone for sure. There is no explanation as to the error other than"firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". LSemmons--Windows XP was loaded when I bought the computer therefore I do not have a disc to reload Windows XP. As far a doing an XP repair, I actually do not know how. I can/have removed and successfully reloaded Mozilla Firefox, it just won't open. I'm still suspectig firewall problems but can't find that solution, yet. I am not a computer really smart person although I love to learn about them.

Katzy - 4-12-2007 at 21:09

If you paid for XP, you should have an XP CD.

It might be worth you hassling Best Buy, coz if you don't have a CD, I believe that M$oft can regard your copy as fraudulent. (I may be mistaken, there.)

Without a means of reinstalling XP, you will, at some point, be totally buggered.

Daz - 5-12-2007 at 02:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
If you paid for XP, you should have an XP CD.

It might be worth you hassling Best Buy, coz if you don't have a CD, I believe that M$oft can regard your copy as fraudulent. (I may be mistaken, there.)

I think you are mistaken... The XP data, or Recovery image of it, may well be on a hidden partition on the HDD... Not many Branded units get supplied with XP CD's, most just get the M$ COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) sticker on the case/laptop, with the installation files tucked away on the HDD... And maybe a CD/disk to help you access the recovery image/data...

Katzy - 5-12-2007 at 12:00

Really?

They expect the user never to have to format and reinstall?

That seems a bit of a con, dunnit?

LSemmens - 5-12-2007 at 14:36

Typically, the mfg of the system places the recovery data in a hidden partition and provides a utility as part of the installed OS to create your own Recovery CD or Disk set. So, they do actually provide a legit copy of Windoze, but not in a really useful form.

As for the FF problem, David, The Toshiba recovery CD won't help with the windoze "repair" option, as all they do is re-format and re-load your OS, which, in this case, is overkill. I can only suggest that you have a browse around http://www.Mozilla.com/ (the home of FF) and see if they have a solution for you. Otherwise, try an alternative browser like http://www.opera.com/

dThrmn - 5-12-2007 at 16:58

Daz, this is correct as I understand it. I did not get a copy of
Windows XP but I did get a Toshiba branded recovery CD which I have run and as Daz stated it probably reloaded my OS. I am going to try loading and running Opera. I'm not familiar with it but will try it. I'm used to Mozilla Firefox and still use it here on my desktop so something new will be change. But, that may be good. Report later. . . .David

dThrmn - 5-12-2007 at 17:47

Well, what do you know, Opera works just fine, as does Internet Explorer. Therefore I now rule out my Internet connection, my router, my OS, and a few other things I had blamed this problem on. The problem has got to be something in my laptop, some little button I have not pushed yet the correct way to allow Firefox to operate. I'm sure that Toshiba nor Microsoft will respond to messages I sent to them. Each post on this site has been appreciated and I learn more each day. I may learn how to use this Opera yet but it is different than what I was used to. I will continue to solve this, not because I need Firefox, but I can't let this whip me. Thanks, David

Katzy - 5-12-2007 at 18:25

Give Opera a proper try and you'll love it. I find it much faster than Firefox, too.

It's been my browser of choice for ages, now.

You can strip it down to run in a very minimalist way, if you want to, or have all the bells and whistles.

If you want to get really down and dirty, with it, enter "opera:config" in the url window...

LSemmens - 6-12-2007 at 12:55

Please let us know if you do find a solution, David, my Toshi - bah! runs FF with no problems so it is a mystery.

dThrmn - 6-12-2007 at 19:51

Well, I finally get into Mozillzine(s) and find out that I am not the only one with a problem getting Firefox to load. I do find something new, I did do a current download of Firefox after getting my laptop back, remember I stated that it came back from repair as I had bought it with no after market software. This seems to be the problem with Windows XP SP-2 and Firefox newest 2.0.0.11. Therein lies the problem, wherefore lies the solution? I tried numerous items as suggested in Mozillazine as have others but they don't work.:cool:

victor - 6-12-2007 at 20:01

I am running Firefox 2.0.0.11on Windows XP SP2 with no problems.(touch wood)

Daz - 7-12-2007 at 01:28

Quote:
Originally posted by victor
I am running Firefox 2.0.0.11on Windows XP SP2 with no problems.(touch wood)

Wot he said... :)

LSemmens - 7-12-2007 at 11:22

I think the issue is more to do with the Toshiba driver set conflicting with FF, than SP2. Can you try an earlier version of FF?

dThrmn - 7-12-2007 at 13:48

"Can you try an earlier version of FF?" This is one thing I have thought about doing. I went to the Mozilla Firefox website and can't seem to find out how to load an earlier version. Remember-I don't have a degree in Computer Sciences, although I have degrees in "Machine Tool Technology (including CAD/CAM), Mechanical Drafting, and Dimensional Metrology". Go figure that one out. If you can measure it, draw it, or machine it I can help you, but not with computers. I'll keep researching how to do a download of an earlier version of FF. Thanks, David

LSemmens - 8-12-2007 at 11:41

Took a bit of searching, but I found them Here

dThrmn - 11-12-2007 at 01:38

This may be the answer--my original IPS was BellSouth.net which was bought by AT&T. After AT&T acquired BS changes were made, of course. Now, according to the techs at AT&T my wireless router card is my problem. My card will let Firefox 2 download onto my laptop but won't let my laptop connect to the host router to run FF 2, along with some other programs I am not attempting to run. Go figure. AT&T tells me I need a different router card. I have a "B" and I need a "G". They say I should go buy one, NOT! After talking to a "supervisor" I convince him that just because they bought out my IPS and the old IPS equipment doesn't work now it's not my fault. He finally agrees and will send me the new card, which will work with my router. He says--this will solve my problem. We'll see.waggyfinger

Daz - 11-12-2007 at 01:59

I don't know how things work in the US, but to me, that sounds utter b*******...

My thinking goes like this...

The card will connect to the 'net with IE.... Therefore it's connecting to the ISP... Which, to me, surely says the card is working fine...

B and G formats are meant to be backwards compatible I think? (Though I may be wrong on that?)

If IE is working, and any other app that requires 'net access is as well, how can it be down to the card?

Be really interesting to find out if the new card does indeed solve this issue... confused2

Do keep us posted.

For me, it sounds like FF has got itself in a right state, and if an uninstall/reinstall whilst using a very good Registry cleaner like RegSeeker - (search the Reg' for Mozilla and Firefox) and that still doesn't cure it, then I'd probably be looking to do a fresh install of Windows. (After backing everything up first of course!!!)

Of course, it might be me talking nonsense... It has been known... Mrs D tells this frequently! ;)

dThrmn - 16-12-2007 at 00:00

Well Daz and all, it seems to be different in the U.S. as usual. I got the new "G" card and installation CD. I removed the old "B" card. put the installation CD in and followed instructions to the letter. Now I have Internet capabilities with IE, and FF, and Opera, and who knows what else. And--it's faster, heck, I thought it was fast before. I don't know the technical answer to this. It just seems that somehow the old "B" card was not allowing FF 2 to come through. I appreciate all the advice I have been given through these forums. Thanks, David.

scholar - 16-12-2007 at 00:09

dThrmn, thanks for reporting the results to us.

Daz's reasoning seemed sound to me. I would not have thought one browser to be dependent on a different card, while the other browser was working. With this outcome, Daz, can you come up with another way to understand it?

All's well that ends well, if you don't count the delay and frustration.;)

Daz - 16-12-2007 at 02:36

Interesting stuff... As said, thanks for letting us know.

Scholar, at this moment in time, having just read the post I can't think of any reason why FF was unable to connect while others could, or why a change of card formats would cure it.... Encryption methods may be a possibility I guess, bit seems a long shot, and TBH, seems way off also...! Nope, I'm still confused2

T, or Faolan may be the best bet to explain this one! (That's me passing the buck, in case you hadn't realised! :D)

LSemmens - 16-12-2007 at 11:36

You will note that I did not even attempt to explain that one! It's sure got me beat.confused2confused2